Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
Ideas on how to improve Calibre: new metadata source (goodreads) + a new cover search

Hi all,

First of all, a quick disclaimer: I've had Calibre installed on my machine for a long time but have used it mostly to convert books and to quickly fix pieces of metadata. I used to distrust all these "manager" apps but iTunes experience has changed my mind and I decided to give Calibre a thorough second look. Over the past 3 weeks, I've been learning more and more about how it works and I've been impressed and decided to eventually import my giant collection of books and I started by importing just 500 of them to "kick the tires" and learn more.

Even though Calibre is amazing and super-powerful, here's some of my issues that I've come across and quick suggestions on how to improve Calibre.

After importing and performing automatic metadata lookup (based on correct title + author name), I've been completely unimpressed. It just doesn't work well... and it's not really Calibre's fault.

Here's an example of what happens when you import a well-known books by a well-known author:

So right off the bat, the series is wrong (it's actually book #11 in the Jack Ryan series). And look at the star rating... only two stars for a book that's has this in the same summary "The #1 New York Times bestseller in hardcover, on the list for 24 weeks!". Amazon reviews are just full of negativity and stupid reviews like "1/5 stars... book didn't ship on time and came in a damaged box". Anyway, this is a subjective point but having read many of the Clancy's books, I think 2/5 is a silly rating.

I've seen so many examples of these metadata errors that I've decided not to waste my time on adding star rating and series numbering because I'd rather have an empty set than a set of metadata that's wrong. Other times, auto metadata lookup would insert foreign language versions and corresponding foreign language summaries and junk data. Somehow, Calibre matched my English lang books (that have English titles) with Italian and Spanish summaries and Italian and Spanish language tags. By doing manual metadata lookup, you can pick better options from the list offered, however.

Another issue is garbage tags that get imported... there's just so many generic tags and some are listed as: "FIC10001", "ebook", "book", "General", etc. and are therefore completely useless. For 500 fiction books I imported, I ended up with 386 tags. After closer inspection of these tags, lots of them are duplicate.. stuff like "Mystery", "Fiction - Mystery", "Fairy Tales & Folklore" Fairy Tales;" "Folk Tales; " etc. Just way too many of them to be any useful.

I've examined about 200 random books (of 500 I imported & auto tagged) and about 40% of them had various metadata issues listed above.

But, you know where we can find good metadata? On goodreads. Check this out: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...and_the_Dragon

Has the correct title, correct series, more fair star rating and if you use "genres" section as "tags", you also get a lot more useful tag data.

Would it be possible to import this data from Goodreads and to add Goodreads to list of metadata sources?

Second issue is cover search. I used that excellent Quality Check plugin to find covers that are small but "Download Cover" options just sucks. I don't know how it searches for covers but I rarely get nice & large covers out of it and many times it doesn't find any covers at all. Manual search produces much better results. Here's how manually you can find larger covers:

1) Use Google image search: A simple title + author in image search box will give you much better results than Calibre.

2) Use Google image search based on current cover. For example, to find the larger size of the current (295 × 475) cover, just use the current image as the source:
https://www.google.com/searchbyimage...3D271976-L.jpg

and you can find a perfect 1024 × 1645 version of it ( http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image....0ESGn2TR-roAxw )

Google Image search also allows you to upload a current image so it can be used by apps like Calibre that have images stored locally.

3) Go to Amazon and hit "Front Cover" option that you get if you hover your mouse over a cover. By this method you get this: cover which is also much larger image as well.

Anyway, could one or some of these methods be added to Calibre?

Calibre is an amazing app and extremely powerful and I'd just like to thank Kovid & the team for an amazing work!!! None of my issues are deal breakers and I plan to let Calibre manage my books but I will have to manually start adding them and tagging them.

Thanks for reading & please let me know what you think

Melanie
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBr View Post
Anyway, could one or some of these methods be added to Calibre?
Yes. Most have already been added to calibre.

Don't like BS tags from Google? Go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata source plugins - customize the Google plugin and uncheck tags. I download all of my tags and for about 10000 books I have a total of 240 tags.

Want metadata or covers from Goodreads? Add the Goodreads metadata source plugin. You can even map and choose what tags to download.

Go to the Index of Plugins for more metadata sources.

I use the following metadata source plugins for covers. If you check for covers one book at a time it gives you a selection with sizes next to them so you can pick the best cover. If you do bulk downloads you can prioritize your favorite source as the default for your covers by configuring the metadata download.

Goodreads
Barnes & Noble
Fantastic Fiction
Amazon
Google

But only Goodreads for tags, ratings and comments.

You can also use the Search the Internet plugin to go direct to Google images for any book to find a cover. Calibre also lets you drag any cover from the web to the book details pane.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
DoctorOhh, thank you!!! All of your suggestions should be on by default IMO.

Thanks again!
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote