Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnito
Enthusiast
Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Creating a Reading Plan

Hi all,

not sure why I didn't think of this feature before, but I just realized how in some situations, having an option to create a "reading plan" from a book might be helpful, if you, let's say need to finish a book by next Friday.

So, I'm wondering, is this really not that helpful (I wouldn't think you would use it for fiction) for no one at Amazon to make such a feature. If not genuinely done by Kindle...is there any way to hack a Kindle into selecting a book and telling Kindle you wish to finish the book in let's say 30 days, so you get prompts how much you need to read (either by chapters, or location or some other milestone.)

Or maybe I should just read the book
Winnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnito View Post
Hi all,

not sure why I didn't think of this feature before, but I just realized how in some situations, having an option to create a "reading plan" from a book might be helpful, if you, let's say need to finish a book by next Friday.

So, I'm wondering, is this really not that helpful (I wouldn't think you would use it for fiction) for no one at Amazon to make such a feature. If not genuinely done by Kindle...is there any way to hack a Kindle into selecting a book and telling Kindle you wish to finish the book in let's say 30 days, so you get prompts how much you need to read (either by chapters, or location or some other milestone.)

Or maybe I should just read the book
Just read the book. What you could do is if you have a smartphone, put in reminders to read the book and what chapter you should be up to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Ok, quick version, so apologies if it's sloppy. You pick book X to read. You know you need to finish it by the whateverth of the month. Using fingers and toes that's 18 days. You open the book and select goto. It pops up with page numbers or locations for chapters etc.. You scroll to the bottom and see "About the Author" is the last thing at page/location ###. You divide ### by 18 and that works out to reading 23 pages/locations per day.

I do the same thing with my edits. The current work the author sent is 403 pages. To finish in the two weeks allotted I have to edit 40 pages per day. I don't count Sat/Sun.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Once I had a similar challenge when I had to read 10 books in a month as a jury member in a book contest.

I used Excel spreadsheet: in one column I typed book duration in Kindle locations, in another - a current location, so I could easily track my progress across all books.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote