Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
illegaleagle
illegaleagle began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
Author sort weirdness

I've read many existing threads but can't identify a similar problem to this one. If it has been discussed before, I will happily go and RTFT - just point me in the right direction.

So, I have two Kindle Oases, and I keep one in each of the places I live, so I don't have to remember to bring it with me whenever I move. I load both of them via Calibre (currently using v 3.29) using the same library on my laptop.

One Kindle is jailbroken, the other is newer and was running the 5.12.1 firmware, so can't be jailbroken.

When I load books onto the newer Oasis and select author sort, they are all sorted by author first name. That's usable but irritating - what I would prefer is for them to be sorted by author last name.

On the older one, however, some books are sorted by last name and some by first, so books by, say, Andrew Wilson are either at the start or the end of the library. This is driving me nuts. It doesn't seem to be related to book format, as far as I can tell.

In Calibre, all books have the author field correctly set as first last and the author sort field as last, first. I have tried converting books to mobi, and ticking the "use author sort for author" box but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Help!
illegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Places to check (depends on how you place books on each device):
With the device connected: Right-click the device icon: Configure. Check the template. (I also thought there was a box to tick about USE some sort option)

By E-MAIL: Preferences: Sharing by email:

Plugboard: These are per device AND per format templates.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
illegaleagle

To place books on the device I either right click on the book and select 'send to device' or I highlight the book and click on the 'device' icon in the toolbar, and select 'send to device' from there.

I’ll make that check tomorrow when I’m back at my laptop.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegaleagle View Post
To place books on the device I either right click on the book and select 'send to device' or I highlight the book and click on the 'device' icon in the toolbar, and select 'send to device' from there.

I’ll make that check tomorrow when I’m back at my laptop.
Then the first option AND possibly the plugboard
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #5
illegaleagle

Right, I've checked the first (newer) one. Under device > configure, it shows

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

which looks to me as though it should sort in author sort order, ie lastname first, but it doesn't.

It also has "read metadata from files on device" checked.

I have now created a simple plugboard: any format:KINDLE2 = ([{author_sort}] -> authors)

which has done the trick on this Kindle. I need to wait until I get to the other place to check if it's also sorted the old one.

Thank you. I now have a question about plugboards, but will find an appropriate thread for that.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That makes sense. The first option sets the foldet/filename on the Kindle, but this is ignored when showing books on the Kindle. The Plugboard sets the metadata INSIDE the file and this is what the Kindle uses to display books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sort author kindle oasis