Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Replacment for Voyage?

My Voyage is ready for replacment, touch doesn't work as it should, it freezes often, but I still find it has best contast, better than oasis 1 that is. What is appropriate replacment considering screen quality?
I sideload books, so eco system is not important.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nvidia Shield K1 - Galaxy S8+ - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Another voyage?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
No ereader I've seen has had as good a contrast as the Voyage. My Oasis 3 and Kobo Libra have similar contrast, but not quite the same level as my Voyage has.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No ereader I've seen has had as good a contrast as the Voyage. My Oasis 3 and Kobo Libra have similar contrast, but not quite the same level as my Voyage has.
curious: why is that? what combination of materials does the Voyage use that other devices dont?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Agreed. That's why I have 4 of them. The last 2 come from Woot.com and work great. I think I paid $89 for them. I never tried it against the Oasis though.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW4, Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SP), Galaxy Tab A 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
curious: why is that? what combination of materials does the Voyage use that other devices dont?
The only thing I can figure is the composition / spacing of the front layers, since the Voyage was the first Kindle to have the flush front.

If I put my Voyage and PW4 next to each other, I can get the PW4 close by notching the bold setting up by one, but it's still not the same. I can switch between them and it's not noticeable enough to actually bother me when reading, but on a different level I'm kind of bothered that Amazon can't seem to recreate whatever they did there.
CWatkinsNash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Another voyage is the answer...

I did the full run through all other Kobo and Kindle models out right now (literally all), and I’m back to 2 Voyages (one is backup) from eBay

There has yet to be another reader, that I’ve seen, that matches its clarity and sharp crisp text.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've read several comments about the Voyage screen not working as it should and my Voyage has been getting more and more finicky lately too. Today I was unable to get into a collection. I rebooted it and it still didn't work. I'm giving it to someone I know who can hopefully get better use out of it than I am.

I'm mostly reading on a phone now so I won't bother to replace it. I do have the latest Paperwhite if I need it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
rowe
rowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx Boox Poke Pro
The Voyage is the best screen I've had IMO. Better than the Oasis 1/2, Pocketbook HD3, or Nova Pros I've owned.

I've now got a Poke Pro which is my favourite device. The screen hardware isn't quite as good as the Voyage, but because you have much more control over typography on the Poke I think it has the edge on how pages display.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Another voyage is the answer...

I did the full run through all other Kobo and Kindle models out right now (literally all), and I’m back to 2 Voyages (one is backup) from eBay

There has yet to be another reader, that I’ve seen, that matches its clarity and sharp crisp text.
You do realize that having a backup Kindle is not good for the battery. You have to charge it every so often even if you don't use it and if you don't, it goes flat and that's also not good. So let's say your first Voyage lasts for 5 years. I would say the 2nd Voyage woiuld then last maybe 2.5-3 years So your 2nd Voyage would not be as good as the first.

Thank Amazon for not allowing Kindles to be turned off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do realize that having a backup Kindle is not good for the battery. You have to charge it every so often even if you don't use it and if you don't, it goes flat and that's also not good. So let's say your first Voyage lasts for 5 years. I would say the 2nd Voyage woiuld then last maybe 2.5-3 years So your 2nd Voyage would not be as good as the first.

My wife uses the other voyage
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

That is one of the many reasons to jailbreak.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is one of the many reasons to jailbreak.
If you do jailbreak, how do you turn off a Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you do jailbreak, how do you turn off a Kindle?
Any of several ways.

One is the power off KUAL extension.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

It's not so dire as that. People are still using their 10-years-old Kindle Keyboards. The battery is not going to give up in 2, 3 or even 5 years, if you charge it regularly. I charge my mostly unused Voyage once a month. Modern Kindles use very little battery when asleep. The Oasis 2 and 3 can last several months, literally.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote