Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #16
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
... Since EPUB is really just a Zip up bunch of text files (HTML and the lot are plain txt) Un-zip (there is a Unpack tool that will keep the proper EPUB structure upon repacking THE SESSION) the book and use whatever editor you want ...
Is this the Folder Out/In plugins? Or is there another nifty Unpack tool that I'm not aware of (I ask because I am forever learning about nifty tools that I am not aware of ) Thank you
Old 12-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Is this the Folder Out/In plugins? Or is there another nifty Unpack tool that I'm not aware of (I ask because I am forever learning about nifty tools that I am not aware of ) Thank you
Nifty tool
IIRC it is from the folk who make Atlantis
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.co...tweak_epub.htm
But I really like the one Kovid includes with Calibre
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@The_book - TextPad has saved searches and it can handle large files - Windows only, not free.

BR
Old 12-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #19
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nifty tool
IIRC it is from the folk who make Atlantis
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.co...tweak_epub.htm
But I really like the one Kovid includes with Calibre
Oh! I thought this was something inside Sigil.

For outside Sigil, I love pdurrant's ePub Zip/Unzip Applescript applet (but it is only for Mac).
Old 12-24-2019, 03:37 AM   #20
najgori
Zealot
najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.najgori is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: many
well, notepad++ is in my view still the best solution for multiple regex editing.
how i do it is to install pythonscript plugin for notepad++.
inside plugin folder is Python Regex Replacements.py file.
there you have couple examples:
----------
editor.rereplace(r"([A-Z]{3})\1", r"\1")
----------
delete those & insert your own.
run script from notepad++ & save it in sigil.
it is very useful for indesign exported epubs .
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 03:55 AM   #21
The_book
The_book began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@The_book - TextPad has saved searches and it can handle large files - Windows only, not free.

BR
I'll try it, thank you.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just how large is this single html file? Using regex once to insert split markers and then splitting all at once works even on very large files. How much memory do you have?

Splitting it is the best approach for everyone. Why are you against splitting the file?

If you do not want anything to be "checked" then close the Preview Window as it is WebEngine preview window that is generating that error, not Sigil itself.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #23
The_book

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Just how large is this single html file? Using regex once to insert split markers and then splitting all at once works even on very large files. How much memory do you have?

Splitting it is the best approach for everyone. Why are you against splitting the file?

If you do not want anything to be "checked" then close the Preview Window as it is WebEngine preview window that is generating that error, not Sigil itself.
I will try to close the preview window. Thank for your reply.
As for your questions, it's because large file always have many characters like < & > which should be replace before spliting. And after simple replacement of this characters, the xhtml's beginning and ending will be destroyed, so replacement about them also need to be done. So it will use replace more than ones, and looking that slow changing make me anxious.

Last edited by The_book; 12-24-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #24
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you have a very large file that is not html? Is that right? Why not save your original file in html format to start? If not, what is generating these extra < & > chars? Is there any way to export your file as html or try to import its native format using one of the plugins for doc files?
Old 12-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #25
The_book

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So you have a very large file that is not html? Is that right? Why not save your original file in html format to start? If not, what is generating these extra < & > chars? Is there any way to export your file as html or try to import its native format using one of the plugins for doc files?
I am dealing with large plain text file, and your opinion is helpful. I may try pandoc to conver file to xhtml, importing it into Sigil to deal it. Thank for your suggestion.And I will try text import plugin as well.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 AM   #26
Dagr
Dagr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Fire
Another possible work flow here is to load the text file into a markdown editor > export as HTML > load the html into Sigil > search for "chapter" > style the chapter headings and split the file on a line just above the chapter header. You could also change the chapter headings in the mark up editor before the export to HTML. two descent free markdown editors are cutemarked and ghost writer.

Markdown IMHO is far easier to learn than HTML. Once the HTML for the page splits is learned; it can be added to the markdown file.The export to HTML will leave such code as is. Another benefit of Markdown is the formatting is basic enough that it will produce exported HTML files well suited for further EPUB editing. Just another way to skin this cat. HTH
Old 12-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #27
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_book View Post
I am dealing with large plain text file, and your opinion is helpful. I may try pandoc to conver file to xhtml, importing it into Sigil to deal it.
You could always toss your TXT into Calibre and do a TXT->EPUB conversion.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm getting the idea the OP isn't really interested in making an epub from this file. They merely want to use Sigil to edit the file because of its Saved Searches feature.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm getting the idea the OP isn't really interested in making an epub from this file. They merely want to use Sigil to edit the file because of its Saved Searches feature.
That's been my feeling since the first post. AFAIK NP++ doesn't have Saved S&R. other than creating a macro for each case. Which is why I eventually suggested TextPad.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-25-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_book View Post
I am dealing with large plain text file, and your opinion is helpful. I may try pandoc to conver file to xhtml, importing it into Sigil to deal it. Thank for your suggestion.And I will try text import plugin as well.
Fine. Spend $40 or what-have-you and use NoteTAB Pro, which is pretty damn wonderful and, AFAIK, doesn't have anything around it that should be offputting to you for any reason.

Hitch
Closed Thread