Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Any Rumours About A New PaperWhite?

I was just wondering if anyone knew when/if Amazon were going to release a new paperwhite? I'm surprised there wasn't one leading up to this Christmas.

From the reactions of many on mobileread, the PW4 was a little disappointing, especially the faded text issue. My old PW2 has low resolution compared to many current ereaders, and I'd like to buy one with 300 dpi (or ppi).

So does anyone have an educated guess at when there's likely to be a new model? Otherwise I might go for a Pocketbook, maybe.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The PW3 came out in 2015, and the PW4 came out in 2018.
So I'm guessing it's more than a year out at this point.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I would be really surprised if there were any changes to the Paperwhite, except possibly bringing the color adjusting light to it.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I'm not even sure that's coming soon, the Paperwhite was the first kindle with frontlighting circa... 2012? And it took until 2019 for that feature to migrate to the lower-end kindle.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knew when/if Amazon were going to release a new paperwhite? I'm surprised there wasn't one leading up to this Christmas.

From the reactions of many on mobileread, the PW4 was a little disappointing, especially the faded text issue. My old PW2 has low resolution compared to many current ereaders, and I'd like to buy one with 300 dpi (or ppi).

So does anyone have an educated guess at when there's likely to be a new model? Otherwise I might go for a Pocketbook, maybe.
If history is any indication it normally takes close to two years for a refresh. It's just been 13 months since the 4 came out ..
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, I wasn't expecting one this year since we had one last year. If there is a new one to pop up, it will likely be toward end of next year I'm thinking.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I suspect it's closer to 2 years away at this point given that it took 3-ish years to go from PW3 to PW4.

Innovation has largely stagnated on the hardware front for years.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
2012 Paperwhite
2013 Paperwhite 2 (after 1 year)
2015 Paperwhite 3 (after 2 years)
2018 Paperwhite 4 (after 3 years)

If Amazon follows the same pattern, we may not see a new one until 2022 (after 4 years).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
2012 Paperwhite
2013 Paperwhite 2 (after 1 year)
2015 Paperwhite 3 (after 2 years)
2018 Paperwhite 4 (after 3 years)

If Amazon follows the same pattern, we may not see a new one until 2022 (after 4 years).
From my recollection, the update for the Paperwhite 2 was improving the front light. The update for the Paperwhite 3 was incorporating a higher resolution screen similar to the Voyage. It was many until the Paperwhite 4 that it got a significant redesign. Based on that history, any major redesign won’t happen anytime soon.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
From my recollection, the update for the Paperwhite 2 was improving the front light. The update for the Paperwhite 3 was incorporating a higher resolution screen similar to the Voyage. It was many until the Paperwhite 4 that it got a significant redesign. Based on that history, any major redesign won’t happen anytime soon.
To be honest, all I expect to see in the next one (whenever that may be) is the adjustable warm light.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:28 AM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
^ Same

And at least for reading at home, a non-issue to me. I prefer to wear my orange-tint driving (sunglasses) as they block blue light from other sources around the house, not just Kindle.

So I expect to be upgrade proof until at least PW6.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I would love a kindle with a bigger screen a la DX. A DX 2 would be nice.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:33 AM   #13
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
With Oasis in the line up, that seems unlikely. The Kindle e-ink market isn't as large as the smartphone or even colour tablet/fire categories. Amazon doesn't make significant money on Kindle hardware.

I was holding out some hope that Amazon's 2013 acquisition of Liquavista, which were pushing to bring colour e-ink to market ten years ago might spawn a colour e-ink Kindle. But Amazon closed down Liquavista in 2018 and don't appear to be pursing colour e-ink at this time. Unless Kindle e-book sales flag, Amazon seems content with the current hardware line up.

Last edited by Junket; 12-24-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Liquavista?
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
There were some rumors of a voyage 2....that may still happen...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #15
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
There were some rumors of a voyage 2....that may still happen...
From PIDOOMA site goodereader.

Tags
new release, paperwhite