Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #61
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... Reproduceable on Windows 10 and Linux.
+1 for macoOS High Sierra.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That makes me feel good actually. Should be easy (or at least easier) to track down.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #63
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Away from my computer today but I will start looking tomorrow morning.
Does it happen with Sigil 0.9.18 at all?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Does it happen with Sigil 0.9.18 at all?
No. It doesn't seem to with similar steps anyway. Tested 0.9.18 on Windows with Qt5.12.3 and Linux with Qt5.13.2.

The bug hitting Sigil 1.0.0 on Linux with Qt5.13.2, but not with Sigil 0.9.18 on Linux with Qt5.13.2 would seem to clear Qt of any fault, I think.

EDIT: Debug output shows that FlowTab::SplitSection() is definitely being called multiple times. As is MainWIndow::CreateSectionBreakOldTab()

TabManager's OldTabRequest signal is hardwired to FlowTab's OldTabRequest signal. FlowTab emits its own OldTabRequest signal in SplitSection(), and MainWindow connects TabManager's OldTabRequest signal to it's own CreateSectionBreakOldTab method.

Not sure if that helps, but it made my head hurt to follow that all around!
It's almost like closed tabs aren't getting properly disconnected from signals or something (that's a WAG on my part, though).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-22-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I agree, it is probably due to signals not being properly disconnected when the current tab is closed. Which I think is related to the fast delete of tabs "fix" issue we had earlier in 0.9.991 alpha.

So my fix probably broke tab signal disconnect in MainWindow.cpp.

Arrrrggggghhhhh!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. It doesn't seem to with similar steps anyway. Tested 0.9.18 on Windows with Qt5.12.3 and Linux with Qt5.13.2.

The bug hitting Sigil 1.0.0 on Linux with Qt5.13.2, but not with Sigil 0.9.18 on Linux with Qt5.13.2 would seem to clear Qt of any fault, I think.

EDIT: Debug output shows that FlowTab::SplitSection() is definitely being called multiple times. As is MainWIndow::CreateSectionBreakOldTab()

TabManager's OldTabRequest signal is hardwired to FlowTab's OldTabRequest signal. FlowTab emits its own OldTabRequest signal in SplitSection(), and MainWindow connects TabManager's OldTabRequest signal to it's own CreateSectionBreakOldTab method.

Not sure if that helps, but it made my head hurt to follow that all around!
It's almost like closed tabs aren't getting properly disconnected from signals or something (that's a WAG on my part, though).
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #66
KevinH
Sigil Developer

From eyeballing the code, it appears we never disconnect the tag OldTabRequest signal from the TabManager which then forwards it to MainWindow repeatedly.

I will try to see where or how that should of been disconnected.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #67
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The connection is made in TabManager when opening a new tab. So when we switch tabs we should be disconnecting it as you can only split the current tab at the cursor.

Edit: No I was wrong, that is not the problem.

We are somehow MakingTabConnections more than once on the same tab. I am pretty sure this is a artifact of the changes to fix fast tab deletion.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-22-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have really having a hard time recreating this issue on any mac build with the debug output.

Please remember that opening a new empty epub does not overwrite any of the old epub on a mac, so these instructions do not seem to work:

1) make sure Sigil is closed
2) launch Sigil (empty epub)
3) click File->New->Default|Epub2|Epub33 (doesn't matter what kind of new epub)
4) place cursor before the p tag in Code View
5) split using the shortcut or Edit->Split at Cursor

So I tried adding a bunch on blank html files then closing all of those tabs until just one remained and tried the split at cursor in it.

The debug output shows exactly one invocation when running this test.

So closing tabs is obviously not enough for me to see the issue.. So can anyone who can recreate this on a mac, please explain step by step how to see this issue?

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 12-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The original instructions were to open a new blank epub, place the cursor in front of the p tag and split the file twice by using CTRL+Return two times. With the Section0003 tab active, use Window->Close other Tabs, and then split the remaining tab (in front of the p tag).
Old 12-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #70
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay I found Senior47's instructions and I can recreate it.

But it seems which windows are closed (never the current Window) matter, so somehow the break tab connections are never getting done properly if you do not move to a new tab before closing it.

Hmm ... this is going to be fun to debug!
Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #71
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Found it. It was related to the fast tab closing fix. The current code works if you make the tab you are about to close, the current tab first. It assumes the closing of a tab always forces a new tab to become current.

This is of course is not what happens in this case at all.

So we need to change the logic to handle the case where the tab being closed is the current tab, and the case where the tab being closed is not the current tab meaning no tab switch is needed and therefore no break and make of signal connections.

I have a fix that seems to work in this case but it may break the fast close of tabs. I really need to sleep on this change and run more tests in the morning to see if it causes the old bug to return.

If not I will commit it.

Thank you to everyone who helped report the bug, figured out how to recreate it consistently, reported the platforms it failed on, etc. Without your help I don't think we would have been able to find the bug so quickly!
Old 12-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Okay I found Senior47's instructions and I can recreate it.

But it seems which windows are closed (never the current Window) matter, so somehow the break tab connections are never getting done properly if you do not move to a new tab before closing it.

Hmm ... this is going to be fun to debug!
There is code in there that opens the split content in a new tab without giving it focus. Perhaps it's closing tabs that _never_ had focus that triggers it?
Old 12-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry we cross-posted, there.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #74
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And effectively you are right. It just needs to be closed without becoming the current tab before the close x is hit. In the fast tab close test case that was never the case as we were deleting the last tab which was active (last one created) and as it closed it moved to the next tab to the left, making it current.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-22-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #75
Dr.Strangelove
Dr.Strangelove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7. Generation
"virtual folders"

I find it a bit confusing that the book browser shows the folders Images, Styles etc. with a first capital letter, although it has to be images, styles etc. in html source code. I am working a lot with template-epubs and it took some time to find the reason why
Code:
src="../Images/cover.jpg"
doesn't work while it still works on older epubs - in both cases the folder names in the browser start with a capital letter.

What is the reason for this change?
Wouldn't it be better to rename the folders in the browser so that they start with a small letter?
Dr.Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote