Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #166
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Actually bought this phone because it expressedly didn't have any Google Play on it due to privacy concerns. Unfortunately the phone appears to be "equipped" with the chinese equivalents for these services and i'm not sure if this is a good thing either...

If you only require to access the Google Play Store, than i'd recommend installation of the alternate app store https://f-droid.org/FDroid.apk which in turn offers https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store that allows to access to and installation from the Google Play Store.

But if you actually do require the whole Google Framework then this would probably not suffice.
the phone calls home A LOT (alibaba, taobao, tencent etc... ). You can deactivate many system apps using adb. I removed most apps.
https://www.dev2qa.com/android-adb-i...-app-examples/

Still, even the System UI and Android System packages call home and continuously for some reason. You cant remove these Packages so I blocked them, see below.

I also bought netguard (VPN based firewall for rootless devices) then blocked most apps. The free version allows only blocking whole apps connections and not the individual connections. It costs only few euros so it reasonable.

Other than that I am using Fdroid and Aurora store.

Be aware, that without google play framework, many Maps based apps do not work properly, like bike sharing apps or anything with maps. The maps just do not load (blank)

Do not upgrade if you want to uninstall system apps without adb, as it changes many apps to system apps which are not uninstallable.

Can someone try to unlock the boot loader before upgrading? unfortunatly I upgraded by mistake and it cannot be unlocked.
https://source.android.com/devices/b.../unlock-trusty

Last edited by nystagmus; 01-17-2020 at 01:47 PM.
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #167
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
the phone calls home A LOT (alibaba, taobao, tencent etc... ). You can deactivate many system apps using adb. I removed most apps.

Still, even the System UI and Android System packages call home and continuously for some reason. You cant remove these Packages so I blocked them, see below.
Yup, that happens on most android e-ink devices (and crappy phones/tablets). Normally they route the traffic from one process to another using android binder IPC and the service that sends the traffic is buried in one of the core apks, like SystemUi.

I don't have that specific device but I got a friend's Likebook during a few days for testing and cleaning it up. It shows the same behaviour. In principle they seem like affiliate links that try to trick these sites, by hiding a window so the user cannot see it but the site thinks it can and flags "yet another impression for this referral". I doubt it has the wanted effects.

But, from user pov, they seem not too harmful, as they're not sharing user sensitive data and the traffic received is a lot more that the traffic sent.

Quote:
Can someone try to unlock the boot loader before upgrading? unfortunatly I upgraded by mistake and it cannot be unlocked.
fastboot is not a bootloader, is a protocol. And devices can implement it or not (for instance samsung devices do not implement a fastboot compliant bootloader).

Your link goes to OEM / vendor information to implement a device based on AOSP following google best practices. Not final user info.

Anyways, unlocking the bootloader just makes the system to skip partition signatures, so it can boot with a modified boot.img.

In my experience most crapphones don't implement any kind of boot verification and will happily boot with a modified boot.img (with an added service to run Chainfire's su daemon). Even more, most of these craps use AOSP test keys to sign updates, so it is possible to sign you own updates and flash them from stock recovery.

The difficult part of the process is getting a dump of the original phone flash. Without this (which most vendors don't provide) messing with low-level stuff is a quick way to get a brick, and since the "community" for these devices is kind of 0, the way to recover from a brick is 0 too.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #168
patjee
patjee began at the beginning.

Device: hisense a5
Hi all,

I've just received my Hisense A5 and I'm really happy with the display and the feel of the phone. I've installed Fdroid and Aurora and that allowed to to set up quite a few things.

Still, I am stuck with a really annoying issue: for an unknown reason I can't get my Exchange account to be fully working. I've set up my mail on Typeapp but it won't access to the calendar. Outlook just gives me an error message when I try to log. For me to have this as my only phone I'd really need to be able to have my calendar and contacts (both of which are on the Exchange server). I'm using a Mac so I guess I could set up a dummy gmail account but then not sure it would work on the Hisense. Any idea or help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot.
patjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #169
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
How to have notification icons shown on the bar and the lock screen? Thank you
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #170
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjee View Post
Still, I am stuck with a really annoying issue: for an unknown reason I can't get my Exchange account to be fully working.
I have no experience with Exchange but have done some research. It appears that Microsoft Activsync is part of Google Play Services and that most email apps need that to be able to do Exchange.
However there is one email app called Nine that apparently has the activsync built in. I tried downloading it from the Aurora store and it will run but I don't have an account to set up on it. I suggest you install this and see if it will work.
While it gives you 2 weeks full features after that you have to pay and it seems to be via an in app purchase. I don't think there is a paid version on the store. As you won't be able to do in app purchases without Google Play Services you might be stuck with what the free version provides after 2 weeks.

First step is to try it anyway.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #171
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
How to have notification icons shown on the bar and the lock screen? Thank you
Notifications on the lock screen will only be for the system apps like SMS messages and missed calls.

If you're not getting notifications for f-droid apps like K-9 Mail then make sure they are white listed from Memory Cleanup in System Settings.

If you're expecting notifications from Google Play apps installed via the Aurora store then you won't get them without Google Play Services. If this is important to you I suggest you look at the reddit thread on the previous page as you may find that installing the mentioned app (or microg as another poster in that thread mentions) allows you to receive notifications for those apps. I haven't done this so I don't know.

Last edited by cartz; 01-18-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #172
Thepilator

I thought about apps like WhatsApp and messenger. I have no icons on the bar. Can anyone help with it?
Also how to set up Aurora to automatically update my apps?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #173
derula
derula began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
I tried to use ADB, but my phone isn't listed as a device by ADB. (I did enable USB debugging in the phone settings beforehand.) Do I need a specific driver for my phone? If so, where can I get that?

Also, do you have a list of apps you could safely remove?

I posted this same question yesterday, but it appears my post got deleted. @mods: if you delete this post again, please at least inform me why it was deleted, so I can make better posts in the future...
derula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #174
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by derula View Post
I tried to use ADB, but my phone isn't listed as a device by ADB. (I did enable USB debugging in the phone settings beforehand.) Do I need a specific driver for my phone? If so, where can I get that?

Also, do you have a list of apps you could safely remove?

I posted this same question yesterday, but it appears my post got deleted. @mods: if you delete this post again, please at least inform me why it was deleted, so I can make better posts in the future...
try the tool in this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ndows-t3999445

I deleted any app I do not need. Also I deleted any app, which needs an internet connection without a valuable reason for it e.g. preinstalled Gallery. Also I removed most Hisense stuff.
It is a trial and error, I think I messed up something, because sometimes the devices freezes on unlock while using password, so I removed the lockscreen anyway but I can live with that. Furthermore, you can get netgaurd and look which apps is connecting unnecessarily to the internet.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #175
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by derula View Post
I tried to use ADB, but my phone isn't listed as a device by ADB. (I did enable USB debugging in the phone settings beforehand.)
Make sure you go to Developer options, Default USB configuration and set it to
Transfer Files.

It will then appear as a device.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #176
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
I thought about apps like WhatsApp and messenger. I have no icons on the bar. Can anyone help with it?
Also how to set up Aurora to automatically update my apps?
As I suggested above, try the suggestion in the reddit thread of the app in the Hisense store. Maybe it will work, I don't know. Otherwise you will be out of luck.

You'll need manaully update apps on the Aurora store.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #177
Thepilator

I haven't found it, can you tell me how to have WhatsApp and messenger icons in notification bar?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #178
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjee View Post
Hi all,
Still, I am stuck with a really annoying issue: for an unknown reason I can't get my Exchange account to be fully working. I've set up my mail on Typeapp but it won't access to the calendar. Outlook just gives me an error
I have my work outlook/exchange calendar synced on my k1

I installed on my computer's outlook "caldavsynchronizer" .
With outlook opened, it's periodically syncing a cardav/caldav account that you should have (i didn't tried with a gmail one).

On my k1 i installed DavX5 from f-droid.
DavX5 will feed contacts and calendar events from the cardav/caldav account to the phone related apps.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #179
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
try the tool in this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ndows-t3999445

I deleted any app I do not need. Also I deleted any app, which needs an internet connection without a valuable reason for it e.g. preinstalled Gallery. Also I removed most Hisense stuff.
It is a trial and error, I think I messed up something, because sometimes the devices freezes on unlock while using password, so I removed the lockscreen anyway but I can live with that. Furthermore, you can get netgaurd and look which apps is connecting unnecessarily to the internet.
Could you please explain how you removed the lockscreen?
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #180
nystagmus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Could you please explain how you removed the lockscreen?

Sry I meant the password security. I still have to slide or press power to unlock