Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #181
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Upadate on my adventures with Alita and a 256 GB card:

So, when I jammed that card into Alita, it was initially detected but then disappeared after a weak ejection attempt.
Later, after filing off some of the protruding edge, it fits into Alita, but is no longer detected.
I thought I have damaged the card while pushing it in when it still was too thick.
But then I found out that it works fine in a card reader on PC.
So now the newest thing: It is NOT detected in Mimas. At all.
So this is good news: Alita is not damaged. I was worried that perhaps I bent something inside Alita. No. Alita is fine.
The card is faulty. Although why it is detected on PC then. Something different about power supplied to the card, or what. Perhaps because it fits pretty tightly into my card reader - a pressure on the card causes a broken wire inside it to connect...

Last edited by parkher; 12-06-2019 at 02:51 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #182
hcdoro
hcdoro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
I got few errors with likebook alita, (1) stylus pen and (2) not starting up.
(1) the stylus pen was crack and write without touch the screen, it just put near by.
(2) after I got a replacement from the supplier, I used about one month. Unfortunately, it suddenly close and can't turn on any more. I can't even reset it there were no any key to factory reset. I asked the seller, they asked me to repair with the local area but there were none.
In my opinion, anyone who want to try it. please try to read the disadvantages of the device before you buy. Most of the website, description only one side benefit like market for sponsor. bye bye for me (likebook), I am waiting for the color e-reader.
good luck for everyone.
hcdoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #183
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, now I have all three readers: Mimas, Ares, and Alita with 512 GB Samsung Evo Plus cards. Really great cards, they fit in those trays perfectly.
Now Onyx Boox Note / Note 2 look like a joke, with their 26 GB / 49 GB available storage compared to Boyue LikeBook's 489/503 GB storage.

Last edited by parkher; 12-09-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #184
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
So, now I have all three readers: Mimas, Ares, and Alita with 512 GB Samsung Evo Plus cards. Really great cards, they fit those trays perfectly.
Now Onyx Boox Note / Note 2 look like a joke, with their 26 GB / 49 GB available storage compared to Boyue LikeBook's 489/503 GB storage.
Congratulation - these cards are very fast, and for transferring Data you can use USB-OTG; it works eg. with 4 TB Seagate without any problem.
Im using Ares as mobile Computer, mainly in reverse landscape.
For this Im using "Ultimate Rotation Control".
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #185
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Congratulation - these cards are very fast, and for transferring Data you can use USB-OTG; it works eg. with 4 TB Seagate without any problem.
Im using Ares as mobile Computer, mainly in reverse landscape.
For this Im using "Ultimate Rotation Control".
I got Ares mainly for reading e-books (as opposed to A5 pdfs). 7.8" is a pretty good screen size for non-fixed formats, such as epub, fb2, etc. And Ares is much smaller and lighter than Alita. Sometimes it comes in handy.
I use T2 in landscape, and with rather wide margins. With 7.8" I get the same thing (only more lines) with portrait orientation, landscape for books is not needed on a 7.8" reader. Not needed for me (I think) - because I use pretty small font size. In Cool Reader: Amasis @ 20 on T2, Amasis @ 38 on Ares, Amasis @ 31 on Alita. I get the best readability that way. With larger letters, I no longer see whole words, but rather separate letters. And @ this size, I can read several words at a glance. Especially in English. German compound words are not readable at any size
If somebody prefers larger letters, perhaps landscape on Ares is useful.
Although perhaps I will try it too. I think that the longer the lines - the better, provided that they do not get too long. If you begin having trouble finding the beginning of the next line - then the lines are too long, the page is too wide, and wider margins are needed, or landscape needs to be changed to portrait.

Last edited by parkher; 12-09-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #186
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In landscape format, I read two columns.
But mainly Im using it as a mobile Computer for Office Apps, with bluetooth keyboard an the pen as a corsor pointer (mouse).
Old 12-11-2019, 01:32 AM   #187
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
In landscape format, I read two columns.
But mainly Im using it as a mobile Computer for Office Apps, with bluetooth keyboard an the pen as a corsor pointer (mouse).
Two columns in landscape - pretty tiny pages even on 10.3".
For two column landscape, 13.3" would be perfect.
But Max 3 is not perfect. Something is missing in it.
The processor?
The screen?
No, the card slot!
I knew - something very important

As to bluetooth keyboards - I looked at all of them on amazon.de - they all are for people with two right arms - for people whose both arms grow from their right shoulder.
As most of the non-bluetooth keyboards.
Unfortunately, I have only one right arm and one left arm.
It prevents me from buying a laptop or notebook computer as well. They all are for two-right-handed people as well.
It drives me crazy. Why nobody in America sues microsoft, for example, for their Sculpt and Surface keyboards? Surely they cause severe pain in the left wrist.
A lawsuit resulting in huge punitive damages is needed to change this criminal practice.

Last edited by parkher; 12-11-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 AM   #188
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Amasis @ 38 on Ares
Im using Arial @ 38 on Ares. Alita is mainly for pdf (music notes aso).
Old 12-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #189
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Im using Arial @ 38 on Ares. Alita is mainly for pdf (music notes aso).
Similar size to Amasis. One line of text more with Arial. Although your Arial might be different than my Arial.
Arial (25% thicker) - 1 line more.
Arial Narrow - many lines more.
Arial Unicode MS - less lines than with Amasis.

I am also using Alita for music notes. I would probably get a 13.3" android for sheet music, if only they had card slots. I have a 25" monitor right on my digital piano, so no pressure.
I also have quite a few A5 pdf fiction books. Alita is perfect for reading them. No zooming and dragging around required. But I like reading epubs on Alita too. With very wide margins. Somehow more pleasant than with Ares, but Ares is so light and compact, a big advantage if not using a stand, and also its screen is big enough for epubs.
And there is also Mimas. It is even bigger and heavier than Alita. But it has buttons. I like buttons. I am experimenting with stands, Mimas in a stand is no longer bigger or heavier. And yes, it is not a joke: in a stand, OB Note 2 with its OTG as if acquires a card slot. If a reader sits (or hangs) in a stand, it could have a flash stick sticking in it with no danger of damage. I have some 256 GB usb-c sticks.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #190
parkher
Evangelist

Today I got this gooseneck to play with
It holds well even the heaviest Mimas. But there is some swaying involved when turning pages. But no big deal. Still, perhaps I should also get a foot pedal. I could use it with my hand, not necessarily with a foot - or, as it might be the case - a bluetooth keyboard is cheaper and more useful, who cares about its ergonomics.
So, to read directly from a usb flash stick - it is still safer to have it at the top, not at the bottom. Cool Reader allows upside down orientation. The default reading app of Mimas/Alita/Ares - does not, it seems. But they all have cards anyway, so OTG workaround is not needed.
And Onyx Boox Note 2's default reading app allows 180° orientation - so everything is fine.

BTW, with a bluetooth keyboard, do I need some special app, or android > 4.0 handles everything so that Page Down / Page Up keys turn pages in every reading app?
And probably sound +- keys would work too, because they work on Mimas to turn pages.

Last edited by parkher; 12-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #191
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Quote:
Today I got this gooseneck to play with
It holds well even the heaviest Mimas. But there is some swaying involved when turning pages. But no big deal. Still, perhaps I should also get a foot pedal. I could use it with my hand, not necessarily with a foot - or, as it might be the case - a bluetooth keyboard is cheaper and more useful, who cares about its ergonomics.
So, to read directly from a usb flash stick - it is still safer to have it at the top, not at the bottom. Cool Reader allows upside down orientation. The default reading app of Mimas/Alita/Ares - does not, it seems. But they all have cards anyway, so OTG workaround is not needed.
And Onyx Boox Note 2's default reading app allows 180° orientation - so everything is fine.

BTW, with a bluetooth keyboard, do I need some special app, or android > 4.0 handles everything so that Page Down / Page Up keys turn pages in every reading app?
And probably sound +- keys would work too, because they work on Mimas to turn pages.
I'm using page turner pedal with Alita. It works great with only a default boyue app but it's a bit pricy, yes.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3293...27424c4dz0Kq6R
Old 12-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #192
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merithyn View Post
I'm using page turner pedal with Alita. It works great with only a default boyue app but it's a bit pricy, yes.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3293...27424c4dz0Kq6R
I bought this keyboard.
It is Amazon's Choice, and the feedback is also rather positive:
the very best, superb, utterly fantastic, I love it, etc.
Anyway, I tried it with Ares so far (so, the same with Alita):
With Cool Reader - no problem, it turns pages any way I want.
With the default reading app:
To use PgUp, PgDown keys, you need to press simultaneously also the Fn key.
But perhaps the Fn key can be held pressed down with a hair pin or something similar.
Also Sound volume+- keys may be used, but Next Page is Volume- and Previous Page is Volume+, which is a bit strange. However, the default configuration in Cool Reader is the same: also Volume- for Next Page, Volume+ for Previous Page. I swapped them in the CR settings.
As to the pedal, yes, I'm thinking about getting one, mostly for sheet music. Not sure which one, though.

Last edited by parkher; 12-16-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #193
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I bought this keyboard.
With the default reading app:
To use PgUp, PgDown keys, you need to press simultaneously also the Fn key.
But perhaps the Fn key can be held pressed down with a hair pin or something similar.
Also Sound volume+- keys may be used, but Next Page is Volume- and Previous Page is Volume+, which is a bit strange. However, the default configuration in Cool Reader is the same: also Volume- for Next Page, Volume+ for Previous Page. I swapped them in the CR settings.
Its according to the keyboard layout.
If you will use a full size keyboard, then you will have the desired key functions
Old 12-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #194
parkher
Evangelist

Ok, so now I got another toy - it is a dual mode (wireless+bluetooth) keyboard+mouse, but it fits on my palm, so it is basically a remote. When I said "mouse" I meant a touch pad that can emulate left, right mouse buttons + scrolling, but it also has separate dedicated mechanical left, right buttons and the scroll wheel too - the three things that are red.
This toy also turns pages in Alita/Ares/Note - in their default reader app, and of course, in Cool Reader, but not only that - it is able to turn pages in GoldenDict app.
Even when an e-reader has actual mechanical buttons (T1,T2,Mimas) - they do not turn pages in GoldenDict.
But this toy does! So it is worth its weight in gold.
Come to think of it, perhaps any bluetooth keyboard can turn pages in GoldenDict. Because only arrow keys are needed to do that. I should test it with my previous toy

Last edited by parkher; 12-20-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #195
ottischwenk
Wizard

My new toy - i cannot say anything, i will receive it in january.