Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
John Yeoman
John Yeoman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Can't add new files though ample memory

I find I can't copy new files from my computer to either the internal memory or the SD card of my Sony PRS-505 unless I delete an existing file, although I have ample memory left in both internal and card memory. My computer flashes the message: 'Cannot copy [file]. The directory or file cannot be created'.

(The Sony reader is connected via the USB port.)

I have approx 200 files each on the SD card and internal memory but it seems the ebook reader won't let me hold more than a maximum of 410 files. If I delete a file, it lets me copy another!

Any thoughts?
John Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Are you using eBook Library?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
John Yeoman

No, I've never found any value in ebook library, except for buying books I can't afford . I copy my files - academic papers in pdf or rtf - directly from a folder in my computer to the Ebook reader for easy access. The 'cannot copy' message comes up whether I'm trying to copy to the reader's internal memory or SD card. If I delete a file in either, miraculously I can copy across a new file.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just for the sake of argument (out of curiosity), try to transfer books with the help of eBook Library.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Are you putting them in individual folders or all all files in one big folder? I'd try to put the books in a folder under author name. There is a max number of files allowed in a directory based on the cluster size. You are probably running into that.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
John Yeoman

Edbro, many thanks for the great advice! I have now created new folders in both the internal memory and SD card and that seems to work. (Why doesn't the manual tell you these things? And thanks, Astra, for the suggestion to use the Ebook Library. If things still go pear shaped, I'll try that. (BTW: I dislike using the Library. Every time I open it, it tries to sell me something...)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Yeoman View Post
Why doesn't the manual tell you these things?
Because the Reader is designed to be used in conjunction with the supplied software. Having said that, I use Calibre exclusively. I don't even have the Sony software installed.

The file number limitation is just a basic limitation of the file system. You would run into the same thing on your home computer, based on the cluster size of your file system. Of course, most people don't just throw thousands of files in to a single directory.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copy, full, index, memory