Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Spa2004
Spa2004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with paragraph indents converting to mobi

I have used Calibre for years and converted lots of epub files to mobi with no issues. The latest book has block paragraphs, i.e. spaces between them and no first line indentation. When I convert it to mobi I am getting the paragraphs with no space between them and first line indentation.

I know there is an option in "Look and Feel", "Layout" to set "Remove spacing between paragraphs" but this is not set yet it's behaving as if it is. If I convert using Kindle Previewer it all works fine so this does appear to be some sort of issue with the settings in Calibre. I am using Calibre 3.28.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Spa2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember PREFERENCES are the FIRST TIME (conversion) defaults

Once converted: all options are tied to that book and need to be adjusted ON the conversion start screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Spa2004

I can see there are overall Preferences/Common options/Look and feel/Layout which has "Remove spacing between paragraphs" turned off. And there's Convert Books (with MOBI selected as the output format) and Look and feel/Layout which also has the same option turned off. So I'm thinking I have it all covered, yet I am still getting the paragraphs without spacing and with first line indents.

The "Remove spacing between paragraphs" seems to be "on" some how but I just can't see why. I may be wrong but the output looks exactly as if this option has been set.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Spa2004 - in Conversion try pressing the Restore Defaults button (bottom left) before pressing OK.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Spa2004

Thanks, that sounded like a really good idea and I was hopeful it would fix it. Unfortunately it hasn't. I even tried removing the book completely from Calibre and then reloading the epub, then following your suggestion of using "Restore Defaults", but the mobi file it creates has no space between paragraphs and first line indents on it.

If I convert using Kindle Previewer it's fine - proper block paragraphs.

It feels like there is some setting being cached which doesn't get cleared out properly. It's just really odd as I have never seen it before. I am going to try loading Calibre onto a different PC and see if I get the same problem.
Advert
Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 and you will get similar results to kindle previewer. (kindle previewer's mobi files are basically azw3 files with an additional mobi bit for legacy compatibility)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
When you convert to MOBI using the Kindle Previewer you are actually converting to a “Master MOBI”, which includes KF8/azw3 format within it. That has essentially the same capabilities as EPUB 2. When you use calibre to convert to MOBI you are converting to the old Mobipocket format, which has only primitive formatting capability.

In old MOBI a paragraph indent of zero is equivalent to the default indent of a few spaces.

Edit: ninja’d!
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi conversion