Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
AcXE - ACX Enabler

This hack enables using custom ACXs (Active Content Extensions, W3C Widgets activated on text selection).

These extensions can be installed by placing to folder system/acw/ in user store or to folder /opt/amazon/acw on the system partition (this is the preferred location as the firmware can remove/recreatesystem/acw/ content any time).

See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_ACX for more information.

Everything needed for ACX signing (signing app in Java, appropriate private key) can be found here:
https://github.com/dsmid/kindle-pw2-...master/signing

Attached sample ACXs adds ability to translate selection with Google Translate to your Kindle.

Install AcXE (Update_acxe_*_install.bin from acxe_*.zip), put gtranslator.acx (the one for your device) in [userstore]/system/acw/, reboot Kindle and you should see a new "Google Translate" item in the "More" menu after you highlight some text.

Supported languages:
Spoiler:
English
French
German
Portuguese
Spanish
Italian
Dutch
Japanese
Korean
Russian
Chinese Simplified
Chinese Traditional
Finnish
Norwegian
Hindi
Danish
Latin
Czech
Slovak
Polish
Ukrainian
Greek
Hebrew
Turkish
Croatian
Serbian
Romanian
Latvian
Lithuanian
Estonian
Hungarian
Bulgarian
Arabian
Swedish
Icelandic

I can add other languages if needed.

This works on PW2, PW1 and Touch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip acxe_7.zip (6.5 KB, 898 views)
File Type: gz acxe_7_src.tar.gz (226.0 KB, 701 views)
File Type: zip gtranslator.acx.kpw.zip (20.4 KB, 814 views)
File Type: zip gtranslator.acx.kt.zip (18.9 KB, 639 views)

Last edited by dsmid; 08-17-2014 at 05:08 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Could you add Serbian and Croatian language to Google Translate ACX?

edit: Tested & works on PW1 fw 5.4.4

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-22-2014 at 12:47 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added these languages:
Code:
Ukrainian
Greek
Hebrew
Turkish
Croatian
Serbian
Old 03-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Added these languages:
Code:
Turkish
thanks
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This does not work on the Kindle Touch (v5.3.7). I tried installing the "Update_acxe_1_install.bin" but it was deleted when I disconnected, and Update Your Kindle stayed grayed out.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This does not work on the Kindle Touch (v5.3.7). I tried installing the "Update_acxe_1_install.bin" but it was deleted when I disconnected, and Update Your Kindle stayed grayed out.
Try the new version, it's repackaged to support installing on Touch.
It hasn't been tested on Touch though. Please report back to me after you test it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! Updating now... Update is running....
Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The enabler hack seems to have worked -- no error message, and I now have an empty folder "/mnt/us/acxe/" is this folder necessary?

But adding gtranslator.acx at {$KindleDrive/}"system/acw/" does nothing. I should see an extra option when tapping on a word, correct? I see no changes... It hasn't overwritten the default translation acx (I didn't think it would, but checked anyway) since it still shows default languages, not your list.

I haven't tried adding it to "/opt/amazon/acw/" but I will grab kterm extension and cp it over.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-31-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: reworded for clarification
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

...and apparently it's a read-only filesystem, so I will have to do this via USBnet?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The enabler hack seems to have worked -- no error message, and I now have an empty folder "/mnt/us/acxe/" is this folder necessary?

But adding gtranslator.acx at "/mnt/us/system/acw/" (over USB connection) does nothing. I should see an extra option when tapping on a word, correct? I see no changes... It hasn't overwritten the default translation acx (I didn't think it would, but checked anyway) since it still shows default languages, not your list.

I haven't tried adding it to "/opt/amazon/acw/" but I will grab kterm extension and cp it over.
When viewing user storage area over the usb cable, the /mnt/us portion of the filepath is suppressed.

When viewing the user storage area from the command line (ssh, telnet, serial port) then the full path is required.

I.E:
USB storage mode: /documents
Is actually (viewed from the internal system) /mnt/us/documents
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I know that.

On my computer, it is located at "/media/Kindle/system/acw/"; note the reference to root at the beginning of "/mnt/us/system/acw/"; maybe I should've made this clearer though.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 AM   #12
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I installed AcXE on KT 5.3.7 (but not through update bundle, just by copying Upstart job and data files).

It works fine and performs bind mounts without errors. eschwartz, existence of /mnt/us/acxe/ is required by Upstart job, though, it would be nice if it would be optional (as well as debug log).

Installing gtranslator.acx gives me following log:
Spoiler:
Code:
scan[1337]: I mesquiteextractor:extract::No thumbnail to extract from widget
scan[1337]: I mesquiteextractor:extract::failed to extract application thumbnail
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:acxManagerStringHandler:propName=ACX_RefreshList,arguments=com.lab126.gtranslation:Got event
acxmgrd[1337]: I acxmgrd:AcxManager.handleRefreshAcxList:eventName=ACX_RefreshList,arguments=com.lab126.gtranslation:
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AcxManagerRefreshAction.execute:acxId=com.lab126.gtranslation:
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AcxManager.refreshAllAcxList::
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:UnusedAcxPolicyManager.tryUpsertAcx:acxId=com.lab126.gtranslation:
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AppRegistryAcxConfigRegistry.forceUpsertAcx:acxID=com.lab126.gtranslation:
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AppRegistryAcxConfigRegistry.findAcxInfoById:id=com.lab126.gtranslation:
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AppRegistryAcxConfigRegistry.installRegisteredACXs:HandlerId=com.lab126.gtranslation,Location=/mnt/us/system/acw/gtranslator.acx,EventTypes=onbutton,UUID=b5f5baab-5853-45e1-820f-65ea87827640,AcxAppDataDir=com.amazon.kindle.ns.widgets.gtranslation,TopAppDataDir=.active_content_sandbox,DisplayName=Google Translation:Found ACX Data
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:AcxManager.refreshAllAcxList::ACX Manager refresh successful. Requesting reader plugin refresh
cvm[1337]: I ACXReaderPlugin:InstallingACX:displayName=Google Translation,eventTypes=onbutton,viewMode=windowed,requiresRegistration=false:
cvm[1337]: W ACXReaderPlugin:Warning::Failed to parse button priority 
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:UnusedAcxPolicyManager.executePolicy:Request=0,wuaCount=0,runningACXs=0:checking policy
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:UnusedAcxPolicyManager.executePolicy::entering lock
acxmgrd[1337]: D acxmgrd:UnusedAcxPolicyManager.executePolicy::exiting lock
cvm[1337]: I IndexerThread:CIIM_INDEX_CLOUD_FROM_CCAT:asin=lua_nil:
cvm[1337]: I IndexerThread:ASIN_OR_GUID_NULL:asin=lua_nil,uuid=9d644da7-fee4-4b8a-8640-1c104eea448c,contentType=0:
cvm[1337]: I CIIM_LUA_CCAT_C_INDEX_TITLE::asin=lua_nil:
cvm[1337]: I lipc:evts:name=updated, origin=com.lab126.ccat:Event sent
cvm[1337]: I pc:dbMem:used=119,high=1158,lua=408:sqlite and lua memory stats
cvm[1337]: I IndexedContentModel:ChunkInfo:start=0,cursor=0,size=0:
cvm[1337]: I IndexerThread:Information::allowed to index: ALL CONDITIONS MET
scan[1337]: I mesquiteextractor:addapp:id=http://kindle.amazon.com/ns/widgets/gtranslation:Added application
scan[1337]: I mesquiteextractor:thumbnail::received thumbnail events

And as I see in stock KT 5.3.7 ACX, button priority is recognized here through <kindle:buttonPriority> element in config.xml.

So, AcXE should work fine on KT, but ACX metadata format is possibly changed in later firmwares, so it should be adapted to KT.

EDIT: BTW, uninstall.sh in source code package removes /etc/upstart/binder.conf.

Last edited by eureka; 03-29-2014 at 04:30 AM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
existence of /mnt/us/acxe/ is required by Upstart job, though, it would be nice if it would be optional (as well as debug log).
/mnt/us/acxe/ serves as a flag that AcXE is installed & enabled and it also serves as a switcher - delete it, reboot and AcXE is disabled. Recreate it, reboot and AcXE is enabled again.
I consider such approach to be a good idea - at least the user will get what he/she often thinks he/she will get by resetting to factory defaults.

Quote:
And as I see in stock KT 5.3.7 ACX, button priority is recognized here through <kindle:buttonPriority> element in config.xml.

So, AcXE should work fine on KT, but ACX metadata format is possibly changed in later firmwares, so it should be adapted to KT.
It should be easy to adapt gtranslator for KT by making a diff between KT translator.acx and KPW translator.acx .
Does anybody have KT translator.acx around ? (there should be a copy in [userstore]/system/acw/ )

Quote:
EDIT: BTW, uninstall.sh in source code package removes /etc/upstart/binder.conf.
Thanks for the report, I've fixed that in version 3.

Last edited by dsmid; 03-29-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Does anybody have KT translator.acx around ? (there should be a copy in [userstore]/system/acw/ )
Official 5.3.7 update bundle contains complete rootfs image.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
dsmid
Linux devotee

Sure, that's just me being lazy to download the whole bundle to get a tiny file