Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Database Disk Image Malformed

Hello:

For some reason I received the error "Database Disk Image Malformed" this afternoon. I see that I have a number of backup files but I can find no way of restoring any of them. Will this process fix the problem? Will someone please explain how to do this?

Or, if this won't help, how do I tell the Kobo that I want to empty its library and allow me to send the books to it again?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hello:

For some reason I received the error "Database Disk Image Malformed" this afternoon. I see that I have a number of backup files but I can find no way of restoring any of them. Will this process fix the problem? Will someone please explain how to do this?

Or, if this won't help, how do I tell the Kobo that I want to empty its library and allow me to send the books to it again?
The restore process would depend on how the backup was done. It can be as simple as renaming the backup file to KoboReader.sqlite, copying it into the .kobo directory and powercycling your ereader.

For books purchased from Kobo, if you use the sign out option and then re-sign in with the same Kobo ID, your purchased from Kobo ebooks will automatically synchronize.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hello:

I assume that means you are using calibre and the utilities plugin to backup the database. If so, the restore of the database is manual. The steps are as DNSB said: find the latest backup, copy it to the ".kobo" directory on the device, rename to "KoboReader.sqlite", disconnect and restart the device. Assuming the backup is fairly recent, that will work well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I assume that means you are using calibre and the utilities plugin to backup the database. If so, the restore of the database is manual. The steps are as DNSB said: find the latest backup, copy it to the ".kobo" directory on the device, rename to "KoboReader.sqlite", disconnect and restart the device. Assuming the backup is fairly recent, that will work well.
Prior to the rename you will have to delete (or rename) the existing one.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Unfortunately, it didn't work - plus, there was no mention of what exactly to do about the .zip file - I copied it over, replacing the items that were already present, but that didn't work either! None of the books are there!

So, I guess it's back to square one. However, yesterday I reset the Kobo back to factory defaults, and then copied all of the books from Calibre to the Kobo but none of them appeared!

So, I'll try the resetting trick again.

Sparky 8>((
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The zip file is just a backup of various INI and configuration files and does not have to be restored. It can be used to avoid reregistration with adobe, or to see what custom mods you had made to the conf file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Exclamation No joy at all! Could it be BRICKED!

Now I can't anything to work! Here are my steps:

1. Factory Reset.
2. Connect to PC and Calibre.
3. Check Database. OK.
4. Check for Updates. Download & Install. Check Database. OK.
5. Eject from PC. Wait for Kobo to Restart.
6. Connect to Calibre. Check Database. OK. Eject from PC.
7. Setup WiFi. Kobo reports that Kobo memory is full!
8. Kobo reports there are only 3 books in the library!
9. Connect to PC and Calibre. Check Database. OK!
10. Disconnect from PC and Calibre.
11. Device information reports only 93 MB available of 236 MB.

I have no idea what's going on but I sure could use some advice as to how to go about returning the Kobo to "out-of-the-box" state!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky
Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Well, I seem to have fixed the Touch after the "bigger hammer" treatment. From the PC I deleted every file on the Kobo. That left the Kobo quite inert. Then I reset the device with a paperclip and pressing the lower button. After awhile, it came back, I followed the previous steps, and I now have all of my memory back (make that Kobo's memory - I can't say the same for mine:>))!) and I can load books and the Database is fine!!

Many thanks to everybody that helped me in my hour of need!

Sparky

Last edited by TheArtfulDodger; 11-20-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Corrections

Tags
database malformed, kobo touch, restore database