Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #46
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Most things that I use a laptop for I can also use my Toshiba Thrive for. I can create, edit, and view office documents, read ebooks, web surf, even touch up photos if I want to. I've been plugging it into a projector and using it in the class room in lieu of a smart board. The onscreen keyboard is actually pretty good but if I need to I can plug a keyboard into the usb port easily. People who dismiss the use of tablets for productivity have a very narrow view of what constitutes productivity.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #47
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Most things that I use a laptop for I can also use my Toshiba Thrive for. I can create, edit, and view office documents, read ebooks, web surf, even touch up photos if I want to. I've been plugging it into a projector and using it in the class room in lieu of a smart board. The onscreen keyboard is actually pretty good but if I need to I can plug a keyboard into the usb port easily. People who dismiss the use of tablets for productivity have a very narrow view of what constitutes productivity.
What luqmaninbmore says... always thought that the casual dismissal of tablets says more about the person doing the dismissal than the viability of tablets for aiding productivity in many areas...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #48
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I've got an upgrade ready and waiting, but Sprint tends to suck when it comes to phone selection. Their one WP phone is outdated. I may just go for the iPhone, and see where WP is next time around. I like the idea of going for WP instead, but choosing Microsoft over Apple isn't exactly fighting the man. Plus I want to own an iPhone just for the experience. Maybe.

Meanwhile, I just spent the last hour using Windows 8 on my desktop. Oh by did I uninstall that fast. It's a developer build so that experience means little, but it seemed so tailored for a tablet that I found it unusable. I probably could have given it more time and adjusted it for desktop use but I lost patience. Will wait for release.
Yeah I was debating about doing that last night but I would have felt like you. I think a developers build is a bit out of my expertise. LOL
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
A laptop is designed to be set down on a flat surface. Trying to use them while standing somewhere is awkward at best. Also sitting them on top of your lap is ill advised.
While I agree with the first two points, the latter can fixed with better designs. I have an Asus UL30A-X5 13.3" laptop with Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.2GHz which features more than 8 hours battery life. It gets slightly warm to the touch but never hot. Meanwhile, my brother's Acer netbook is capable of burning the skin on your legs despite the supposedly lower-power Atom N230 CPU. Newer processors from Intel and AMD are coming out with lower heat output compared to earlier models which should help quite a bit in lowering heat generated.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just downloaded the 64 and 32 bit versions of Win 8....not sure where I'm going to install them yet though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #51
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
The release date for WIn 8 is at least a year away, according to Business Insider. WOW.

Quote:
There's a developer pre-release version available today. That's probably going to be somewhat buggy and not feature-complete, but good enough for developers to get started.

With Windows 7, that pre-release version came out in October 2008. Windows 7 became available just over a year later, in November 2009.

So look for Windows 8 in fall 2012. Or, if something goes wrong, early 2013.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/windo...#ixzz1XwNXJxzZ
Think of where Apple is going to be in fall 2012. Ipad 3 will be have been out for months, and IOs 6, with God-knows-what-goodies, will be ready to go. The Apple ecosystem will be even bigger, better, and more entrenched.

As for Android, both Amazon tablets will be out by then, XOOM2 will be out, with Google even more behind it , now that it owns Motorola, and there will be a gajillion other options.
I'm sure Win8 will continue to dominate the PC market. But I just don't see it making headway in tablets. Its just too far behind.
T
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #52
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I really hope Microsoft doesn't try to rush this thing out to compete with the iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
While I agree with the first two points, the latter can fixed with better designs. I have an Asus UL30A-X5 13.3" laptop with Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.2GHz which features more than 8 hours battery life. It gets slightly warm to the touch but never hot. Meanwhile, my brother's Acer netbook is capable of burning the skin on your legs despite the supposedly lower-power Atom N230 CPU. Newer processors from Intel and AMD are coming out with lower heat output compared to earlier models which should help quite a bit in lowering heat generated.
"Hot legs" are only part of the issue. The other is that many laptops have vents underneath which can become blocked when set down on a soft surface.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Microsoft tends to be a follower, not a leader, they are not likely to rush it. They've already got the world by the balls.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
"Hot legs" are only part of the issue. The other is that many laptops have vents underneath which can become blocked when set down on a soft surface.
Which, again, can be remedied by better design. For example, the vents on my laptop are found on the side instead of the bottom. While passive cooling on laptops might not be doable right now, advances in processor technology and proliferation of SSD's will make that possible (hopefully soon).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #55
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Sounds like Metro browsing will also be Flash-free:

Quote:
Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #56
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait, ARM-based W8 tablets will be restricted to the Windows store?

It's starting to sound more and more like these really aren't going to have a huge advantage over iPads or Android tablets.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #57
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thats the only time ive read that since build started. Im sure you will be able to get arm win8 apps from elsewhere and sideload them
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #58
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
thats the only time ive read that since build started. Im sure you will be able to get arm win8 apps from elsewhere and sideload them
I'm also sure you will be able to do this. The question is whether or not Microsoft will officially endorse it? They did lock down Windows Phone, after having an open mobile platform for years.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-15-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just downloaded the 64 and 32 bit versions of Win 8....not sure where I'm going to install them yet though.
I've tried to, but it keeps failing...

And I plan to install it in a virtual machine.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #60
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Microsoft tends to be a follower, not a leader, they are not likely to rush it. They've already got the world by the balls.....
The question is how long that grip will last. In the business space, I would expect it to last for some time, because businesses have a lot of tailored stuff on top of Windows. For consumers, however, I think that the alternatives present a very serious threat to Windows OS dominance. I don't know if I'll ever buy another Windows PC (I've got 3, but I only really use one now, and that's plugged into the TV to watch video and may get replaced by an apple TV or similar soon).
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote