Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
[Ubuntu] upgrade problem 3.34 to 3.36

trying to upgrade calibre 3.34 to 3.36 using normal upgrade method. Tried logging out/in. tried starting in terminal. tried starting with icon. using 18.04 gnome. see screenshot Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-29 11-17-21.png
Views:	194
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	168672  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THe QGtkStyle error is expected. Are you saying that calibre is not starting at all? Run top and see if the calibre process is running.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry if I was not clear. Calibre runs completely well as 3.34, but I was unable to upgrade using the terminal method. Also, I just noticed that "[MacOS]" was inserted in my post. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 using gnome. I do not understand the direction "Run top and see if the calibre process is running." I can open the main program and also run editor and viewer. Best regards, Pop
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
Also, I just noticed that "[MacOS]" was inserted in my post. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 using gnome.
Moderator Notice

that was my doing, I mistook the traffic light icons at top right of screen shot as an Apple artefact - it is Ubuntu now.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
according ot that output you posted you have upgraded calibre. If you are still seeing the old calibre that is likely because you have two different calibre installations on your system and when you run calibre, it is picking up the old one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Thank you for your reply. How would I determine that (1) I have two installations, (2) delete the older installation of the two, and (3) make sure I do not delete settings, data, books? To the best of my recollection I have not reinstalled calibre. Best Regards, Pop
Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

UPDATE! logging in/out solved the problem. Sorry for the false alarm. I do not know the ins and outs of the details of such things. I would very much like to run calibre in a chromebook instead of 18.04 gnome to see if that is less prone to error. Best regards, Pop.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
I would very much like to run calibre in a chromebook instead of 18.04 gnome to see if that is less prone to error. Best regards, Pop.
I don't know about 18.04/Gnome3, but I've been running Calibre with no significant problems on 16.04 (actually I'm running LinuxMint 18.1 which is based on Ubuntu 16.04) using the Mate desktop (which is based on Gnome 2). Not exactly the setup you are running, but fairly close. I have never had to logout/login to make a new version of Calibre active. The only problem I have is that ocassionally (maybe one out of every 30 attempts) when I try to convert an AZW3 to EPUB Calibre crashes. I restart Calibre, and the conversion works just fine on the second attempt, and continues working for another 30 or so conversions before the next crash. I'm just guessing at that 30 number - it could be 40, 50, 60 or 20. It is infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me. So Calibre is not 100% perfect and stable in my experience, but it is about 99.9% perfect and stable.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote