Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Question re: side-loading and library synchronization

If one manually side-loads Calibre books from the library (Calibre not present) will those books appear synchronized (green check mark "on device") when the device is subsequently attached and read by Calibre, or will it be necessary to re-send those side-loaded books through Calibre?

I'd test this myself but I am far, far away from home and my Calibre library.

Thanks!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
If one manually side-loads Calibre books from the library (Calibre not present) will those books appear synchronized (green check mark "on device") when the device is subsequently attached and read by Calibre, or will it be necessary to re-send those side-loaded books through Calibre?
If you manually move the files without using calibre there is a good chance that they will show up as on device, but there is an even greater chance that the metadata will not be correct since calibre updates the metadata in books when using the send to device, save to disk or connect to folder features.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps my question was a bit convoluted, or possibly you may have misunderstood. (most certainly the former)

Here is the situation. I have a large number of books, processed and sent via Calibre to one particular device. In turn, I have copied those files from said device to my laptop. I have a new device with me to which I would like to add those files which, of course, were sent directly from Calibre originally.

If I simply drag them to the new device, I am curious to know if those same Calibre Library files will require being re-sent to new device while connected, or if Calibre will simply scan and synchronize when I again connect new device to Calibre.

Not being near my library, I am unable to test this myself.

Last edited by Skydog; 09-04-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if the files contain the same metadata as the copies in the calibre library, they will be matched, if not, thy wont. And by metadata I mean specifically title and authors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Yes, they are, in fact, current copies of the files located in Calibre's library folders (xxxx.mobi)

Thank you, Kovid, for your response.
Advert