Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Aumkaar
Aumkaar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th generation
Using an ebook reader for the first time with Kindle (basic) 10th generation

I am from India.

After jumping from one thread to another for more than eight hours, I think I understand the basics of kindle and calibre now. I have installed four plugins till now but use only one consistently lol.

And let me also tell you about this thing that I find weird. The kindle that was delivered to me is the basic one and I expected 4 GB of storage, but it has 8 GB! I didn't know that such variant exists. Is All New Kindle 10th generation different from Kindle 10th generation? My device does not mention 'all new' anywhere.

And, as I am using kindle for the first time, I am getting used to the screen flashing. I even suspect that my device is a faulty one which flashes just too much, but I guess that's just me being cynical.

So, that was my introduction. I think writing about your device is a good way to introduce yourself.
Aumkaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

You can adjust how often your Kindle does the full page refresh (i.e. the black flash) in the settings. Mind that if there is an image on the page, it does the full refresh anyway, but otherwise it shouldn't flash every page if you're not set it to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The screen refresh sometimes seems very "odd" to a new e-ink user. The front lighting on the current models makes it seem even more noticeable. After a new user has just used the device to read for a few days, that odd "flash" becomes less noticeable.

I used a non-lit Kindle from 2009 to whenever the first Paperwhite was released. I wasn't sure I was going to care for the more noticeable "flash" but after a couple of days, I stopped noticing it.

We always advised new users to just read. I can't recall anyone coming back to the forum and saying they decided to return the Kindle because they couldn't tolerate the screen refresh. (This was on the old Amazon forums)
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The screen refresh sometimes seems very "odd" to a new e-ink user. The front lighting on the current models makes it seem even more noticeable. After a new user has just used the device to read for a few days, that odd "flash" becomes less noticeable.

I used a non-lit Kindle from 2009 to whenever the first Paperwhite was released. I wasn't sure I was going to care for the more noticeable "flash" but after a couple of days, I stopped noticing it.

We always advised new users to just read. I can't recall anyone coming back to the forum and saying they decided to return the Kindle because they couldn't tolerate the screen refresh. (This was on the old Amazon forums)
Agreed. Personally I prefer the full refresh every page so the text stays the sharpest, and at first the constant flashing bothered me. After a week or so I stopped noticing it altogether.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote