Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #1
pst
pst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Reviving an old Opus

I tried to revive my old Opus for my son, sadly enough it does not work reliably. Initially, it didn't even boot up fully, meanwhile it sometimes does, but then it gets stuck during reading. What works reliably is connecting it to the Mac, restarting it and then it mounts properly as a drive. So I wanted to re-install the latest firmware, but it's not available anymore. I have also found some hints that there is a way to factory reset it with the help of Bookeen, but the simply refuse to give any support anymore. So does anybody have

* The latest firmware or maybe even several versions?
* Instructions for the secret full reset?

I find it a bit odd that Bookeen doesn't even provide old files and instructions anymore. It's just some files on the web server. And my ticket was closed as "resolved" after over a week, which it clearly is not...
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The latest firmwares were (I beleive) 1.6 (for MOBI) and 2.1 (ePub) released in June 2010.

I have copies I downloaded at the time. Send me a PM with your email address.

Your Opus might also benefit from a new battery. I suspect compatible ones are still available.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just noticed that I answered a similar question just a couple of months ago.

See this thread for links to the 1.6 and 2.1 firmware on the Bookeen web site.

(The Gen 3 and Opus used the same firmware files.)
Old 07-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
pst

Ah and these links still work! Oh Bookeen, it could be so easy to help your customers and leave a good impression...
Old 07-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
pst

I've made some progress and was able to install the latest firmware. But the Opus was still crashing. So I was brave and reformatted the Opus drive. Now the crashes are gone, but it can't see the internal drive anymore, only the sd card. Any hints on how to format the internal drive so it gets accepted by the Opus again are highly appreciated.

Other than that, I forgot how slow this was and how bad its use of the available display space was.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I suspect that it may have had the wrong kind of (i.e. newer) formatting applied than the Opus understands. Try formatting it again as FAT32.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
pst

It was looking good, but I did it on MacOS. That one was never good in formatting FAT32 drives. So I hocked it up to the NAS today and re-formatted by the instructions given here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190194

Now it sees the internal drive again. It's still bit icky, but it's usable again. Thanks for the help!