Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #1
sarcastic.guru
sarcastic.guru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Question Kindle with PocketBook Firmware?

Hey guys,
Proud owner of two Kindle devices so far (first the Basic 2016, then upgraded to Paperwhite 2015). The one and only thing I don't like about them is the continuing effort of Amazon to behave like Apple, in means that it closes more and more its ecosystem and keeps adding small inconveniences for side-loaders. Let's take for example the last issue of disappearing covers if a book does not match with a purchase from the store.

And I perfectly know that Calibre has now fixed that. But all these little issues are somehow discouraging. Or let's take the inability to sync with the cloud a book that can use custom fonts and show its cover at the same time.

Surviving through all that "hell of small things" myself, I decided to buy a PocketBook as a present to a friend and set it up just to test the system. Oh, the pleasure of a device that is simply... just open and user-friendly oriented.

So here comes my question: is there any way to wipe my Kindle to a level where it's only a blank device with no OS on it and then put a running PocketBook firmware on it? Or, let's say just use the Kindle hardware, installing PocketBook software on it? I didn't find anyone who described an attempt to do it anywhere on the legal Web, so I decided to ask around. Thanks,
sarcastic.guru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, kindle, pocketbook