Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
dragon77
dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Touch
No dictionary for side-loaded books

Ever since I updated the firmware on my Kobo Touch (2.5.0, I believe) no dictionary definitions are found for any words I look up on my side-loaded books. It has always worked with these books before. Any suggestions?
dragon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I don't have this issue.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
See here for an explanation and a work around until Kobo will send the correct dictionary files for all supported languages.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Angry Notify Kobo directly about firmware bugs

Removed: wrong thread.

Last edited by Anak; 04-23-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
dragon77
dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
See here for an explanation and a work around until Kobo will send the correct dictionary files for all supported languages.
Um, "English" is not a supported language?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Are you using a custom English dictionary?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon77 View Post
Quote:
Of course it is. Kobo delivered working dictionaries of only some of the supported languages, and not working dictionaries of some other supported languages. Since you did not specify the dictionary you are talking about I could myself not be more specific and suggested that you wait "until Kobo will send the correct dictionary files for all supported languages" (including your language).
From your response I guess that you are talking about the English definition dictionary. This, however, seems to be working, as much I can tell from looking at its contents, and I also have reports from people who say that it is working. Strangely, when i updated last week to FW 2.5.0, only 2 of the 18 or 19 installed dictionaries worked. The English definition dictionary did not. I immediately went back to 2.4.0.
So the English definition dictionary seems to be working for some people, and does not for others. Maybe the wrong dictionary was sent out only for a certain time. You can try to uninstall the dictionary, synchronize, (maybe deleting it from the reader if it is still there) and reinstall and synchronize again.

Last edited by tshering; 04-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
English dictionary lookup is definitely working here with my Glo and Touch on FW2.5.0.

Can you check the language settings of the book? If it isn't "en", the English dictionary won't be used.

Another possibility is to remove the dictionary and then add it again. There seems to be some issues with the dictionaries and forcing the latest to be downloaded might fix this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
dragon77

Of course this would be the one night when I accidentally left my Kobo in my office, so I can't try any fixes now, but I can confirm that I am not using any kind of custom dictionary to my knowledge. I have never done anything with the built-in dictionary, as it has always worked fine before. Also, I can't imagine why the language setting on the books (I tried using the dictionary on several) would be anything but english.

I'm not sure I know how to go about uninstalling/reinstalling the dictionary...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Also, I can't imagine why the language setting on the books (I tried using the dictionary on several) would be anything but english.
That should be the case, but I know one other person who ran into that exact issue (which is likely why Davidfor asked).

Quote:
In the settings menu, under language it will let you EDIT dictionaries. Simply tap the check mark next to the one you want to delete and it will become a + sign. Click save at the bottom, then EDIT again and select the + sign (the uninstalled dictionaries get moved to the end of the list) and it will prompt you to connect to wifi to sync the dictionary back onto the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course this would be the one night when I accidentally left my Kobo in my office, so I can't try any fixes now, but I can confirm that I am not using any kind of custom dictionary to my knowledge. I have never done anything with the built-in dictionary, as it has always worked fine before. Also, I can't imagine why the language setting on the books (I tried using the dictionary on several) would be anything but english.
The books are probably in English, but it is possible the metadata does explicitly state this. Or it might have an incorrect language code. If the book was sent from calibre and the language was set correctly there, it should be OK.

As to why it is occurring now, it could be a new bug or an old one fixed. By the latter I mean the firmware might have been treating all books with unspecified language or unknown as English, but no longer does that. I know there have been problems with getting the correct language used in the past, so Kobo might have been fixing that. What I do know is that I am having no problems. I also know that my books do have the language specified. I'll have a go and see if I can break that.
Quote:
In the settings go to the "Language" options. The dictionary section will show how many you have installed. Press the edit button. This will list all the available dictionaries. On the right is a tick for the installed dictionaries and a plus for those that aren't. Press the tick to uninstall or the plus to installed. The press the save button at the bottom. The device will try to do a WiFi sync to update the dictionaries. If this can't be done, it will do them at the next sync.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-23-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Always check if if there is a faster typist around
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
dragon77

Good news! Before trying anything else, I decided to simply sync my device with the desktop again, and suddenly the dictionary is working. Problem solved. Maybe something just went wrong during the last sync.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well there was a patch released by Kobo 2.5.1 that might well have been installed via the Desktop when you did a sync.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Are you sure it didn't do an update to 2.5.1? That includes fixes to the dictionary.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-24-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Should have known Peter would beat me.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
dragon77

That's quite likely, I suppose. I haven't actually checked.