Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #181
Skipwire
FFFFx0 User Level
Skipwire began at the beginning.

Device: KW4
Command output

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Skipwire:

Code:
┌─(niluje@illyria:pts/7)──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(~/MPLAYER/FBInk)─┐
└─(0.78:38%:20:16:%)── kindletool info G000PPNNNNNNNNNN                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ──(Thu, Jan 30)─┘
Platform is Wario or newer [Kindle PaperWhite 4 (2018) WiFi (8GB)]
Root PW            fionacdf
Recovery PW        fionacdf8

┌─(niluje@illyria:pts/7)──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(~/MPLAYER/FBInk)─┐
└─(1.09:37%:20:22:%)── kindletool version                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ──(Thu, Jan 30)─┘
kindletool (KindleTool) v1.6.5.196-geee8d20 built by portage@illyria on Gentoo with GCC 9.2.0 on Jan 30 2020 @ 01:12:21 against libarchive 3.4.2dev & nettle 3.5.1
TL;DR: You're doing it wrong (which seems unlikely ), or you're using a really old KindleTool build.

xxx@E5520:~/Desktop$ kindletool version
kindletool (KindleTool) v1.6.5-GIT built by xxx@E5520 on LinuxMint with GCC 7.4.0 on Jan 29 2020 @ 07:32:10 against libarchive 3.2.2 & nettle 3.4

xxx@E5520:~/Desktop$ kindletool info G000PP088xxxxxxx
Couldn't identify device 00 (0x00), trying the new identification scheme...
Root PW fioxxxxx
Recovery PW fioxxxxxx
Skipwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #182
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipwire View Post
xxx@E5520:~/Desktop$ kindletool version
kindletool (KindleTool) v1.6.5-GIT built by xxx@E5520 on LinuxMint with GCC 7.4.0 on Jan 29 2020 @ 07:32:10 against libarchive 3.2.2 & nettle 3.4

xxx@E5520:~/Desktop$ kindletool info G000PP088xxxxxxx
Couldn't identify device 00 (0x00), trying the new identification scheme...
Root PW fioxxxxx
Recovery PW fioxxxxxx
G000PP -> which is a PW4.
Ref: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Which is one of the "Androidized" Kindle models.
Meaning, among other things:

* It is not a "dual boot" system like most Kindles.
Trying to load the address of the diags system is sort of pointless, since these models do not have that older sort of "dual boot" system.

* The system is now locked as seen by the customer.
Currently, there is no known way to unlock the serial port access.

* You are trying to access the version 5.12.1, where the most recently known firmware version on that model that can be jailbroken is 5.10.1.3
That information is included in the first post of this thread. You could help yourself by re-reading that first post.

* The most recent build of Kindletool can be found in NiLuJe's snapshots thread.
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
And, it is already built, ready to use on the most common PC OS devices.

* There is one (or more) threads on this forum concerning the things which have been tried to deal with the "Androidized" systems.
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312489
Which is a show-stopper for the firmware version on your device.

But that is one of the threads here about the "Androidized" systems.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Skipwire: Ohkay, then everything's going according to plan then (as far as KindleTool is concerned, at least). Note that the output is now slightly less confusing on master (since, like, a few hours ago ).

Also, you need a non-shallow clone to get a proper version string .

----

Now, what exactly were you trying to achieve? If it's a jailbreak, PM @ilovejedd, she can help with a PW4.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-30-2020 at 06:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's the latest version firmware that can be software jailbroken on a PW3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #185
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the latest version firmware that can be software jailbroken on a PW3?
Latest is 5.9.6.1
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #186
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Now, what exactly were you trying to achieve? If it's a jailbreak, PM @ilovejedd, she can help with a PẄ4.
With regards to this, include the ff in the PM.

Spoiler:
PSA

I might be able to help with jailbreak for the waterproof PW4/Paperwhite 4/Paperwhite (2018)/Paperwhite (10th generation) only.

Those interested, please PM me with the following details about your device:
  1. First 12 characters of serial number (gives us the HW model, revision and manufacture date)
  2. Country
  3. Retailer/Store
  4. Color
  5. Storage
  6. with or without Special Offers
  7. Wi-Fi or Cellular
  8. FW version and stock or updated?
Thanks!

Notes:
  1. All PMs missing the information requested above will be ignored.
  2. All PMs requesting assistance with non-PW4 will be ignored.
  3. Don't expect immediate replies to your PM. I don't spend my entire time waiting for PMs from MobileRead. Even when I'm browsing the site, I'm often browsing via mobile device where sending instructions is a major pain so I typically wait to reply until I'm in front of keyboard and mouse. I usually respond within 4 days so be patient and wait a week or so. If there's no reply by then, feel free to follow up.
  4. If you're unable to send PMs, you can use the thread in the feedback forum below to request PM privileges.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-31-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #187
Blakestr
Enthusiast
Blakestr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017 32 gb Gold
So my 5.12.1 Oasis 2 (saw firmware on the sellers page) is basically $@%! out of luck when it comes to jailbreaking? That's a shame, I'd love a better way to organize on the Kindle like the collections plug-in.
Blakestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #188
Gonime
Gonime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10º Gen
Unhappy PW4 5.12.3

So my Kindle already came with FW 5.12.3, that means i'm out of options to jailbreak it? I really wanted to get some custom screen savers :'(
Gonime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #189
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonime View Post
So my Kindle already came with FW 5.12.3, that means i'm out of options to jailbreak it? I really wanted to get some custom screen savers :'(
Read post #185, including the spoiler, then PM ilovejedd.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #190
notpika
notpika began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2018)
I have a couple questions about my newly jailbroken PW4 (thanks ilovejedd!)

1. I installed the retail 5.10.3 after doing everything, is there a "better" retail fw I should go to, or is that the best one since it matches the factory one I jailbroke with?
2. Is there a way to clean up my internal storage, are there any "useless" residue files that don't get cleaned up after the jailbreak?
3. Does preventing OTAs with the Helper restrict updating even when clicking the Update Kindle button? (I want this to be the case fwiw)
4. Can I safely register my Kindle with my Amazon account, and will my name and other things come back?
5. Are there any other "must-have" things I should install, other than the Helper and KOReader?

Sorry about the probably really stupid questions, and / or if this is the wrong place to put this.
notpika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #191
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
1) 5.10.x is good for saving JB long-term. Newer FWs are OK too, as long as you keep an eye on sudden OTA updates (then you should install recent hotfix ASAP).
2) Specifically to JB, there no redundant files in the user storage.
3) No. OTA is OTA (over the air), it has nothing to do with manual updates and you should take your responsibility on that side of things.
4) Yes, absolutely.
5) E.g. LibrarianSync if you want to have better collections generation, or maybe Leafpad, or Chess, or kterm Terminal for Kindle. Depends on your needs.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #192
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpika View Post
I have a couple questions about my newly jailbroken PW4 (thanks ilovejedd!)
1. I installed the retail 5.10.3 after doing everything, is there a "better" retail fw I should go to, or is that the best one since it matches the factory one I jailbroke with?

* Technically, that should be 5.10.1.3 if you want a firmware version where the factory fw is directly installable.

3. Does preventing OTAs with the Helper restrict updating even when clicking the Update Kindle button? (I want this to be the case fwiw)

* Depends. If you manually copy an update.bin file via USB or ssh or something, then it will always update.

On 5.10.x, if there's no update.bin file on the USB when you tap on Update your Kindle, the update.bin.tmp.partial blocker folder created by the KUAL Helper+ add-on should prevent downloading it over wifi.

5.11+ firmware can defeat the blocker folder.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #193
notpika

Quote:
that should be 5.10.1.3
Yup, that's what i meant.

Once I got back up and setup the retail fw, I noticed a broken KUAL booklet was there, and the files were still on my internal storage (extensions, mrpackages). After reinstalling KUAL and MRPI, everything was back in shape. Is that normal? (the files still being there, since I thought everything was supposed to be reverted to right after the hotfix)

Other than that, everything seems to be working great! Thanks to everyone who made this possible <3

Edit: Also, what's the "hotfix" KUAL install update file? (I used the one that didn't say hotfix.)

Last edited by notpika; 02-29-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #194
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by notpika View Post
5. Are there any other "must-have" things I should install, other than the Helper and KOReader?
you can add an interactive fiction engine (text adventure).
E-ink readers are uniquely suited for this kind of diversion.
you could try the Gargoyle extention.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=67

And find games at the "Interactive Fiction Database " to play on your kindle from here:
https://ifdb.tads.org/

such as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ouv80gvsl32xlion

Last edited by Sol Arkite; 02-29-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #195
notpika

Okay so for some reason my last thing didn't get posted, even though my profile says it was(?), so let's try this again

a)

Quote:
that should be 5.10.1.3
Yup, I meant that. Perfect, thanks!

b) What's the difference between the hotfix bin of KUAL, and the normal install one? (I used the normal one)

c) Is updating everything as easy as dropping them in mrpackages and clicking install? (KUAL included?)

d) When I installed the retail firmware, was everything supposed to be reverted? I had a KUAL booklet that didn't work, and mrpackages and extensions folders on my USB storage. Is this normal? (Installing everything again made everything work though!)

e) I keep getting some weird nag about installing fonts updates, are those safe to click restart on if I've disabled OTAs with the Helper?

Sorry for the stupid questions everyone, just making sure I did everything right, and thanks for all your suggestions!

Last edited by notpika; 02-29-2020 at 06:15 PM.