Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
speed difference between paper white and paper white 2

Do you see a big difference in the speeds of the two different generations of paper whites? I am most likely going to sit out the second generation of paper white because of the lack of a speed difference. I have been told that there is a speed difference but its not really a big difference.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Going by the CPU's clock speed difference, all other things staying the same, the KPW2 will be about 20, maybe 25% faster than the KPW1, at maximum. It's noticable, but if you're only upgrading for the speed difference, then it's not worth it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have been told that the goodreads integration is rather lacking. I guess amazon is really gropping for new ideas of features to put into the kindle. I did not buy my first kindle, some years ago for the innovations ,rather amazon's book pricing schemes.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main improvements are the better lighting system, and the improved firmware (eg page flip, pop-up notes).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
With the latest upgrade to the PW 2012, it is EXACTLY the same as the PW 2013. There are no speed or any other differences I can identify.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
With the latest upgrade to the PW 2012, it is EXACTLY the same as the PW 2013. There are no speed or any other differences I can identify.
Yes there are. The PW2 has a faster CPU (it indexes books significantly more quickly, for example) and the lighting is a lot better - more even illumination.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes there are. The PW2 has a faster CPU (it indexes books significantly more quickly, for example) and the lighting is a lot better - more even illumination.
For anyone with a decently lit PW1 that they are happy with I don't think the benefits of the CPU or the lighting system/screen warrant a new purchase. Not if they update the 5.4.4 which gives all the new features of the PW2
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
For anyone with a decently lit PW1 that they are happy with I don't think the benefits of the CPU or the lighting system/screen warrant a new purchase. Not if they update the 5.4.4 which gives all the new features of the PW2
The PW2 also has the eInk "Carta" screen compared with the "Pearl" screen of the PW1. The Carta screen has a 50% greater contrast, which really does make a significant difference. Comparing my PW1 and PW2 side by side, the PW2 has a very noticeably whiter background.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
The PW2 also has the eInk "Carta" screen compared with the "Pearl" screen of the PW1. The Carta screen has a 50% greater contrast, which really does make a significant difference. Comparing my PW1 and PW2 side by side, the PW2 has a very noticeably whiter background.
I don't disagree with you Harry, only I had two PW2s when they first came out, they both had screen defects so were returned, but tbh I preferred the blue white screen of the PW1 to the creamy white of the PW2. I personally didn't notice any better contrast but then I am very happy with my PW1.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It should be noted that the contrast improvement is an objective figure, not simply subjective. The Carta screen has a 15:1 contrast ratio; the Pearl screen 10:1 (figures from the eInk web site).
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really NOTICEABLE to me.

Quote:
Those differences may be there but they are not noticeable to me. I opened my PW 2012 and 2013 side by side and they appear to be mirror images. In fact, the PW 2012 now seems to have better contrast than the PW 2013. Micro differences in CPU speed are really not noticeable to me at all.

All the features including bookmarks (the main improvement IMHO of the PW 2013) are now EXACTLY the same.

If I was a new buyer of an eReader and could save money with a PW 2012 over a PW 2013, I'd buy the PW 2012.

I just hope the PW 2014 has some major differences or I may forego an upgrade this year.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-07-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All the features including bookmarks (the main improvement IMHO of the PW 2013) are now EXACTLY the same.
The same???

I must have missed this recent firmware update. I see the KPW1 is now at 5.4.4. I'll be downloading that shortly

I don't care for most of the improvements. Goodreads doesn't seem to work well outside of Amazon USA accounts, I don't care about freetime or cloud collections, but I DO like Page Flip and popup footnotes. It would be the main reasons for me to consider a KPW2.

I might still get a KPW2, and use it and the KPW1 alternately, making them each other's backup.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Both units are great eReaders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The same???

I must have missed this recent firmware update. I see the KPW1 is now at 5.4.4. I'll be downloading that shortly

I don't care for most of the improvements. Goodreads doesn't seem to work well outside of Amazon USA accounts, I don't care about freetime or cloud collections, but I DO like Page Flip and popup footnotes. It would be the main reasons for me to consider a KPW2.

I might still get a KPW2, and use it and the KPW1 alternately, making them each other's backup.
I have a PW 2012 AND a PW 2013 the first used by my wife and the second by myself. I only buy a new eBook every couple of months and rarely buy any eBook over 1,000 pages so indexing is a rare and unimportant feature for me. Turning pages and searches seem the same to me

All the critical features are now EXACTLY the same: Collections, Bookmarks, Notes, Dictionary handling, etc.

If I open both one next to the other they appear to be TWINS from the Home page to the same reading page of the same eBook. Menus seem the same to me as well.

Had Amazon done that upgrade to the PW 2012 before the PW 2013 had been introduced, I'd probably have just stayed with the PW 2012. Those hardware differences noted by Harry are simply NOT noticeable to ME. Of course we are all different in perceptions and psychological interpretations of what we see and experience.

There is one possible big difference: the PW 2012 may now be at its last iteration but the PW 2013 may get further upgrades which will make it much better.

Another possible difference may be true if one is adding hundreds of eBooks every week than the indexing speed may be critical. However, for my needs of adding ONE eBook every couple of months makes indexing speed totally irrelevant.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-07-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Had Amazon done that upgrade to the PW 2012 before the PW 2013 had been introduced, I'd probably have just stayed with the PW 2012. Those hardware differences noted by Harry are simply NOT noticeable to ME. Of course we are all different in perceptions and psychological interpretations of what we see and experience.
It's obvious why Amazon doesn't update the KPW1 at the moment of the KPW2 introduction. Talk about kicking themselves in the nuts It's half a year since the KPW2's introduction, so people who wanted those features NOW will have one already. Everybody knows that the Kindle never drops in price, except maybe just before the release of a new model.