Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 03:08 AM   #1366
DrGEM
DrGEM began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hi. I need to debrick PW2 but the links is not working

pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p1+jb+ssh: http://www.mediafire.com/?5w619l68mrcawlb
pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p1+jb+ssh: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...cblk0p1.img.gz

and

pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p2: http://www.mediafire.com/?afodh08q5had1z1
pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p2: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...cblk0p2.img.gz

May be anyone have this files or working link. Thank you.
DrGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #1367
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
PW2 images from Amazon are complete (Main) system images.
Unpack them with Kindletool.

The "Diags" system ...
Never shipped by Amazon, make your own:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690

Now all you have to do is find someone to run the command for you.
And next time, run it for yourself BEFORE you brick your Kindle.

The maintainer of those Media Fire links passed away a few months ago.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #1368
TheRandomGuy
TheRandomGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kindle 4 (K4B)
Hey. I bricked my black K4 and apparently I need firmware version 4.1 but the download links on the website do nothing (Chrome Developer Tools console shows a 404).

kernel-4.1.0: http://ge.tt/8bd9NXU/v/1
mmcblk0p1-4.1.0: http://ge.tt/8bd9NXU/v/0

Does anyone have the files or a working link to the files?

UPDATE: I tried flashing 4.0 even though the file (https://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT) says that black ones need 4.1.0 and it worked!
UPDATE2: Now I'm unable to update to the latest version (Original update file is not detected, repacked using kindletool it launched but failed with error u006).

Last edited by TheRandomGuy; 04-03-2019 at 03:18 PM.
TheRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #1369
kindle_man
kindle_man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unbricking instructions for Kindle Touch using Kubrick

This is my first post here. I was able to install version 5.1.2 on two old Kindle Touches I had lying around unused. I used Kubrick with some modifications. I made notes for myself in case I had to do it again and I thought I'd share them with people here. These instructions are for people well versed in Linux, but I added pretty detailed notes.

Done on a Kindle Touch. Adjust files accordingly.

Boot kubrick usb drive made with rufus. Start kubrick until it fails with error. Mount usb (usually /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1. Can be found by running dmesg) on /media/cdrom.
Run command “mount /dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom” to accomplish this.
Go to /media/cdrom/kubrick (type “cd /media/cdrom/kubrick” and <enter>) and run “sh mountjava.sh”. Go back to /root (type “cd /root” and <enter>) and run “sh autostart.sh” to start kubrick, which should start now with no error. Go through steps on kubrick until usbnet is up and running. The only trick here is to be able to get Kindle in recovery mode while plugged into your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions. Then open command prompts on tty4 and tty6 by doing CTRL-ALT-Fn-F4 and CTRL-ALT-Fn-F6. On tty4 log in to the local machine (username: root and blank password). On tty6 log in locally and then ssh into the Kindle “ssh root@192.168.15.244” (password:mario). On tty4 (local machine’s command prompt): Transfer all scripts from /media/cdrom/kubrick/resources/scripts/kindle to Kindle using scp. The command is “scp /media/cdrom/kubrick/resources/scripts/kindle/* root@192.168.15.244:/tmp/” This transfers all the files to Kindle’s /tmp directory. Run command: “mkdir /tmp/kubrick_sfs” and then
“mount -o loop -t squashfs /media/cdrom/kubrick/resources/devices/k5/fastboot.sfs /tmp/kubrick_sfs”
Run command: “scp /tmp/kubrick_sfs/main_kernel root@192.168.15.244:/mnt/us/” (password: mario).
Run: “scp /media/cdrom/kubrick/kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main.img root@192.168.15.244:/mnt/us/” (password: mario). I copied the file “kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main.img” to the USB drive before I started. I got it from http://www.mediafire.com/file/5yj6l3...p1-main.img.gz

Everything else is done on tty6. Remember to toggle between the consoles (tty’s) with CTRL-ALT-Fn-F4 or CTRL-ALT-Fn-F6 key combinations. Be sure to issue command “mntroot rw” after logging in to Kindle to mount filesystem read/write. Issue command “cd /tmp” to change to /tmp directory.
Issue the following commands:
“dd if=/mnt/us/main_kernel of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65”
“dd if=/mnt/us/kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096”
“sh blast_mnt_us.sh”
“sh blast_var_local.sh”
“sh install_jailbreak.sh” <optional>
“sh reboot_main.sh”

When Kindle boots up it should be unbricked and on 5.1.2 and optionally jailbroken. Be sure to install “kindle-mkk-20141129” by adding the file “Update-mkk-20141129-k5-ALL_install.bin” to root directory from within Windows. The directory is /mnt/us on the Kindle. Then update kindle in the normal way through the menu. Once it boots back up, install KUAL-v2.7 by placing “KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2” file in the documents directory on the Kindle – /mnt/us/documents, which is done when mounted in Windows (in Windows it’s just documents directory). Unzip “koreader-kindle-arm-kindle5-linux-gnueabi-v2019.04.zip” at the root of the Kindle in Windows (/mnt/us on Kindle) so that it creates koreader and extensions directories. Install usbnet by putting file “Update_usbnet_0.21.N_install_touch_pw.bin” in root directory on Kindle in Windows (/mnt/us on Kindle) and then updating device in normal way through menu. When it boots back up attach Kindle to Windows and go to usbnet/etc directory. Edit the file “config” and change the ip address to one that will work on your subnet and enable ability to connect over wifi. Leave everything else unchanged. Reboot Kindle one more time by holding in power button for 25 seconds or so. When it boots back up both koreader and usbnet should be available in KUAL. Usbnet can be toggled for wireless ssh connectivity from within usbnet. Be sure to log in over ssh and change the root password from “mario” to something else.

Good luck!
kindle_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #1370
tromek
tromek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
How should I obtain files like: pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
PW2 images from Amazon are complete (Main) system images.
Unpack them with Kindletool.

The "Diags" system ...
Never shipped by Amazon, make your own:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690

Now all you have to do is find someone to run the command for you.
And next time, run it for yourself BEFORE you brick your Kindle.

The maintainer of those Media Fire links passed away a few months ago.
I have tried to unpack them with KindleTool but propably I dont know how to do it.
Can you tell me what command line should I put to extract those files from the *.bin file which i got from amazon?
tromek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #1371
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

type ONLY the kindletool command on the command line, no options, and it will print its help file (which is also include in its release archive and various places around this forum).
Read and follow the directions (which includes examples).
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #1372
jeff-vader
jeff-vader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle d01100
For the last couple of years I have been unbricking my Kindle using the cool dummies guide instructions on this forum. I was using the booting off a USB stick model, with the only compatible lap-top I could find. My kindle hangs every couple of months, and I've lost my fecking USB stick !!! Now I see that the files are no longer available to download and I dont know what to do. Kindle is a D01100.

I see ixtabs bitbucket site, but i don't know how to use his content. I know my way around Linux a bit but am not an expert.

Is there a new dummies tutorial, or a place where someone is hosting kubrick-usb-base.zip ? Somehow I found the ISO ( kubrick-k3-k4-k5-zip ), but need the former file.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can set me on a path of enlightenment!
Cheers
Jeff
jeff-vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #1373
kindle_man
kindle_man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
jeff-vader, I'm not sure if the kubrick version that I used will work on your model, but it's worth a try. Use the same procedure that I did, but substitute the kernel and main image files for your model. Try pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT for those files. Let me know how this goes.
kindle_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #1374
term
term began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hi All,

Just recovered my PW2 from the repair needed screen following bits of advice from the forums here, Thanks to you all

I tried several different ways as I was trying to not lose any personal data, only my last attempt was actually successful and that wiped the device. Trying other methods resulted in various states in which the device was unresponsive to anything other than the serial port. My advice is accept the data loss and recover using the factory image.

BEWARE - FOLLOWING THIS WILL RESULT IN DATA LOSS AND MIGHT STILL NOT WORK FOR YOU. ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Here is what eventually worked for me:

1. Solder serial connection
2. Use a USB to TTL adapter and realterm to connect to the Kindle
3. Boot to diagnostic menu: uboot>bootm 0xE41000
4. Download update bin from Amazon
5. In the diagnostic menu start USB mode
6. Rename the update to update.bin and transfer to Kindle over USB
7. Reboot Kindle
8. Setup as new

T
term is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #1375
mr.markus
mr.markus began at the beginning.

Device: K5 PW2018
Briked K5

Hello everyone, first of all thank you very much for all the information and availability you have in this forum.

I have the following problem, a K5 does not start, but the battery if it is charged, try to recover it with Kubrik, but it is frozen in usb donwload mode.

Then I tried MfgTool, which leaves it in fastboot. But after that he is paralyzed again.

Finally I used the USB TTY cable, and I have the following dialog:

Spoiler:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Apr 04 2012 - 20:06:50)

CPU: Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock : 50000000Hz
ipg per clock : 50000000Hz
uart clock : 24000000Hz
ahb clock : 100000000Hz
axi_a clock : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock : 200000000Hz
weim_clock : 100000000Hz
ddr clock : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock : 80000000Hz
MMC: FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Whitney WFO
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id: 0061401114870BWE
S/N: B011140714
DRAM: 256 MB
Using default environment

In: serial
Out: logbuff
Err: logbuff
Quick Memory Test 0x70000000, 0xfffe000
POST done in 13 ms
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...
Image Name: Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 5197856 Bytes = 5 MB
Load Address: 70008000
Entry Point: 70008000
Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

If i try bootm 0xE41000

appears
Spoiler:
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

THK a lot
mr.markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #1376
knc1
Going Viral

@term:
The process you posted should not have affected your books on the USB accessible storage.
Unless of course, you might not have posted a missing step or two.

@Mr.Markus:
Sounds like multiple failures of the eMMC chip.
There is a thread here (somewhere) on replacing that chip if you have the hot air re-work tools to change it.

Last edited by knc1; 05-20-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #1377
mr.markus

Thanks for your quick response.
The first thing was to do a new installation of Windows XP, on an old computer.

and he stops at that point, he doesn't ask me to install drivers, it doesn't occur to me what else I could have done wrong.

I have a hot air gun, but I would have to order the replacement from China.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #1378
mr.markus

Excuse me, I had a problem uploading the images in the previous post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	179399   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	179400  
Old 05-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #1379
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.markus View Post
Thanks for your quick response.
The first thing was to do a new installation of Windows XP, on an old computer.

and he stops at that point, he doesn't ask me to install drivers, it doesn't occur to me what else I could have done wrong.

I have a hot air gun, but I would have to order the replacement from China.
That profile name is "Kindle" ...
You might have the wrong profile.
The "Kindle Fire (i.e: color)" readers are Android and the "Kindle grayscale" models (this forum) are Amazon/Linux.
Both use a "fastboot" program but they are different!
Be sure you have the correct fastboot tool (such as from this forum, none other).
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #1380
mr.markus

Thanks again for your response and concern, I got the MfgTools file when I downloaded it in the KindleSelectBoot folder that appears in the Guide to debricking kindle touch v4, next to the Profile files.
Spoiler:

[PROFILE]
PLAYER=Kindle fastboot
VERSION=2

[OPERATIONS]
UTP_UPDATE=OS Firmware,120,1

[OS Firmware]
UCL_INSTALL_SECTION=EMMC

Thanks again

Tags
debricking