Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #496
Caspar201
Caspar201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi! I am trying to install Plato on a Kobo Aura H2O (1st edition). I have followed the instructions in the guide, but when I start up Plato by clicking on the icon in 'My Books' the Kobo restarts after the loading screen.

In the crash log, it says the following:

"./plato: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by ./plato)"

I've tried googling this and the only result I got suggests that it is a matter of old firmware. However, I am on software version 4.4.9344 so I don't think that should be the problem?

I would appreciate your help - thanks!
Caspar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #497
Caspar201

Hi! I'm trying to install Plato on my Kobo Aura H2O. I've followed all the steps in the guide and when I open Plato via the icon in 'My Books' I get the message in the bottom "Launched plato.sh", but after the loading screen the device always restarts.

In the crash log, I get the following message:

./plato: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by ./plato)

I've tried googling this but the only suggestion I found is that it is a matter of outdated firmware. However, I am on software version 4.4.9344 so I'm not sure that is the cause.

I'd appreciate your help - thanks!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #498
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For rendering ePub & PDF, how does Pluto compare to KOReader?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #499
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar201 View Post
I've tried googling this but the only suggestion I found is that it is a matter of outdated firmware. However, I am on software version 4.4.9344 so I'm not sure that is the cause.
Here's an excerpt from the README:
Quote:
Any 4.X.Y firmware, with X ≥ 6, will do.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #500
Caspar201

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Here's an excerpt from the README:
Ah, my bad - thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 AM   #501
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Plato 0.8.2

I've released 0.8.2.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #502
tlc630
tlc630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Clara HD
Just installed 0.8.2 on my Kobo Glo. Installed Webster 1913 dictionary. (Why are dictd format dictionaries so hard to find?; StarDict dictionsaries are easy). Lookup fails ("No definitions found") unless 'fuzzy' is selected. Then, as expected, I get a slew of definitions surrounding the target. Am I doing something wrong?
tlc630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #503
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://freedict.org is all easily available in dictd.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #504
tlc630
tlc630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Clara HD
In the download section I don't see any english-english dictionaries.
tlc630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #505
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A reasonable dictionary is GCIDE, an evolution of that 1913 Webster's dictionary, a dictd version of which can be found at http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma..._0.48.5.tar.xz

You can test it here: https://dicoweb.gnu.org.ua/?db=gcide
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #506
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc630 View Post
Installed Webster 1913 dictionary.
What you might have is a malformed dictd dictionary. For example, this dictd version of GCIDE isn't valid: the headwords contain uppercase and non-alphanumeric characters, but 00-database-allchars and 00-database-case-sensitive are missing from the index. Some of the headwords are quite surprising too: abounding inpredicate abounding withpredicate bristling withpredicate full ofpredicate overflowing overflowing withpredicate rich inpredicate rife withpredicate thick withpredicate (here's one of the synonyms: brimful brimful ofpredicate brimfull brimfull ofpredicate brimming brimming withpredicate).

I've written a tool, sdunpack, that can be used to convert from StarDict to dictd (your package manager should provide a dictd (or dict) package that ships dictfmt and dictzip).

Last edited by baskerville; 02-09-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #507
baskerville
Evangelist

@NiLuJe: I'm trying to integrate the new send update and wait for update ioctl calls. Currently, the Gui and Partial modes are mapped to (UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO). By looking at fbink and koreader-base, I get the impression that:
  • I should be using NTX_WFM_MODE_GLD16 on the Aura (and set the EPDC_FLAG_USE_AAD flag)?
  • On mark ≥ 7 devices, I should be using NTX_WFM_MODE_GLR16? (Maybe there's a more appropriate waveform for the Gui mode?)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #508
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@baskerville: There's no fancy "fast" variant of GL16/GC16 on Kobo (as there is on Kindle), so UI stuff is generally fine with AUTO (on every Kobo generation).

Assuming Partial is used for mostly-text (also: black on white, it'll look like utter crap in nightmode, where the least terrible thing you can do on Kobo is just enforce GC16) use-cases (i.e., book, Library, dict, ...), yeah, REAGL will be *dramatically* better. That's indeed GLR16 on Mk. 7, and GLD16+AAD on the Aura (which looks like crap, but that's more of a general theme on the Aura anyway ^^).

Like on Kindles, the Aura expects *all* REAGL updates to be flagged as flashing (i.e., FULL). They won't actually flash in practice (at least that's the case on Kindle. The Aura might be doing a weird gray semi-flash with a dithering pattern, IIRC [which I might not be: I've only had one in hand for a few hours, and that was quite a while ago, when it was first released]).

That's no longer true on Mk. 7, on the other hand, where you can just switch the waveform mode .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-16-2020 at 11:26 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #509
baskerville
Evangelist

Plato 0.8.3

I've released 0.8.3.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #510
baskerville
Evangelist

Plato 0.8.4

I've released 0.8.4.