Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #916
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The Aura was a very odd duck as far as how the eInk screen is handled, so I'm not entirely surprised you're encountering all kinds of weird bugs when hitting corner-cases like this.

(In fact, it's reported as sometimes actually *crashing* with hardware nightmode, especially on early FW versions).

That means I don't really have a nice solution for you, except switching to the standalone hack, setup in *software* mode. Which will be slow as molasses, but will probably work.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-01-2020 at 11:37 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #917
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Hi, NiLuJe, I agree the six-inch Aura has an odd screen -- flush with bezel, supporting pinch and zoom for font sizing, two-fingered mid-screen swipe to control brightness. But that's not the model I'm talking about. I'm talking about the Aura HD, with, as I said, a 6.8-inch screen.

I've used the night-mode hack on both models (Kobo Aura 6-inch and Kobo Aura HD 6.8-inch) with perfect success since 2014. It's only with recent firmware that I'm having trouble with the devmodeon method, and only with the Aura HD (it works flawlessly on a regular six-inch Aura).

(I am a Kobo beta tester, by the way, but my Aura HD is not in the beta-test-release stream.)

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 02-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #918
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wow, and I swear I double-checked I wasn't going to be spouting nonsense about the model and everything .

Okay, that would make this one a Mk. 4, so, even older than the Aura, and sharing a SoC with the Glo & Mini (and the final revision of the Touch trilogy), quite a few of which are fairly popular around here.
I wasn't aware of any particular similar quirks there, but, then again, those are starting to get old, so, who knows .

In any case, the "workaround" should still apply: standalone nightmode hack in software mode.

FWIW, I can manage to get even much more recent devices (f.g., a Forma, although in extremely non-standard corner-cases) to completely ignore specific post-processing requests (like hardware inversion), so there may be a very old and very sneaky bug lurking... somewhere.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-01-2020 at 02:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:18 AM   #919
die
die can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one
does it works also with kobo aura one?
die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #920
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi my friends,

I've just installed the last FW 4.20.12714 on my Aura HD (I will do it after on my Glo) and all is ok with the nightmode plugin.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #921
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi,

I've just installed it on the last FW 4.20.14622 on my Aura HD and it works !
Old 03-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #922
lildev
lildev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
This is not working with my KoboGlo. When I enable invert mode in the developer settings its very buggy and only works half of the time.
Anyone know a work around?
lildev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #923
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildev View Post
This is not working with my KoboGlo. When I enable invert mode in the developer settings its very buggy and only works half of the time.
Anyone know a work around?
Yep, 2 Glo's in this house and the Developer option is flakey as hell. Going back to the nighmode patch.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #924
kry89
kry89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
hello guys, i have a problem. i know this hack only now. i try this on my kobo glo fw: 4.20.141622 but not work. can you halp me please?
kry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:52 AM   #925
die
die can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one
in landscape mode then patching but nothing happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by die View Post
does it works also with kobo aura one?
ok I answer to myself:
I patched Aura one.

I turned the image in landscape mode, horizontally, maybe this interfere with mod.

I paste the patch inside .kobo folder

After the ejecting the reboot

Nothing happen
die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #926
akorx
Addict

Hi my friends,

All is ok with nightmode build13, on my AUra HD and my GLo (not HD).
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #927
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does nightmode build13 compare with using the the nightmode function built into the firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #928
akorx
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry89 View Post
hello guys, i have a problem. i know this hack only now. i try this on my kobo glo fw: 4.20.141622 but not work. can you halp me please?
A. Upgrade your kobo with last firwmare and wait the reboot :
to do it, open or extract the zip file (= the file you have downloaded, it contains the fw) and copy the KoboRoot.tgz (don't extract it !!!) to the directory .kobo of your device. Wait, after 2 or 3 minutes your kobo will reboot alone.

B. Now install the night mode :
. plug you device again on to your computer and do exactly the same steps with the KoboRoot.tgz of nightmode.zip, you will see another reboot
. test : a LONG press on the light button should alternate between the 2 modes

Note : each time you install a fw, you have to re install the plugin (and the others if you use more).

If you don't want to use the plugin : on your kobo, open the search bar and search devmodeon , it will activate the developer mode and now in the settings you will see a invert mode znd other option like landscape mode, etc.

Come back to give us the result,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

Last edited by akorx; 05-21-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #929
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does nightmode build13 compare with using the the nightmode function built into the firmware?
For the older devices (mentioned by akorx) which have a physical light button it's probably easier to switch Nightmode on/off than the hidden Developer Options checkbox is.

I've moved to using geek1011's NickelMenu for my 2 regularly used devices (Clara, Forma) which don't have a light button. IMO it's marginally better than the kobopatch option.

So many different ways to achieve the same thing these days. It'll be a bit of an anti-climax if Kobo finally offer it as a standard toggle icon in the top menu.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #930
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Among other things, Nightmode build 13 lets you set a separate page-refresh value for when you're in night mode versus day mode; with the firmware version, you have to manually adjust page refresh, if you find you need a more frequent one in night mode, each time you invert the screen.

Also, toggling the firmware version requires a deep dive down several layers of menus for which you must exit the book you're reading (unless you also use NickelMenu); whereas Nightmode patch lets you set a trigger level of brightness (I toggle between day and night at 100% brightness) or control it with a user-adjustable long press of the physical light button, if your device has one.

In short: Nightmode is easier to use and is much more user-configurable; the firmware version is a bare-bones implementation.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch