Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Flight Crew Error

Since Sigil v1.0.0 I get the following flight crew error when I add an additional page:

"Invalid Book Path Provided"

I copy the correct DOCTYPE header from another page which I have always done.

When I check with Sigil's "Well-formed epub check"

I do not get the error.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That error message means the plugin itself did not supply the proper path with its validation message it was reporting. That message does not mean the book necessarily has an issue, it means the plugin itself has an issue.

The Well-formed check in Sigil only checks for broken xhtml. It is not like running FlightCrew or the epubcheck plugins.

Please attach a screen capture of the Validation Report error message so we can see exactly what that message is related to.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you KevinH, I guessed that was the case because I know FlightCrew has not been updated for a long time. I like to use it because it does find unused images and pages which I prefer to delete in order to keep the epub smaller in size.

For your info I am attaching screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlightCrew error message.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	176220  
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
... I like to use it because it does find unused images and pages which I prefer to delete in order to keep the epub smaller in size.
You can perform the same function by running a report (Tools/Reports or Ctr+Shift+R) select Image Files in the list on the left. The right pane lists all kinds of info about all your images: dimensions, file size, and how many times it is used in the epub. You can get similar info for the different files by selecting the different reports on the left.

I use it regularly to get rid of unused images by sorting by "Times Used" (click on the column header) then multi-selecting all the images with a zero....then hit the delete key.

You can also double click on the image in the list and it will take you to the location that uses that file.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you KevinH, I guessed that was the case because I know FlightCrew has not been updated for a long time. I like to use it because it does find unused images and pages which I prefer to delete in order to keep the epub smaller in size.

epubcheck also finds unused images and pages. I suggest you give the epubcheck plugin a try and see how you get on. epubcheck does find more errors becuase it's maintained. It's the standard used tor checking ePub for errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You can perform the same function by running a report (Tools/Reports or Ctr+Shift+R) select Image Files in the list on the left. The right pane lists all kinds of info about all your images: dimensions, file size, and how many times it is used in the epub. You can get similar info for the different files by selecting the different reports on the left.
Thats true for images, but FC finds a little bit more...
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
And epubcheck finds even more.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And epubcheck finds even more.
True, but the stated purpose for the OP was:

Quote:
... I like to use it because it does find unused images and pages which I prefer to delete in order to keep the epub smaller in size...
Reports does that very well...AND...allows you to DO something with the info, not just get a list of problems.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please no fc vs epubcheck religious wars. They are only in competition for epub2 and even then they do check different things. Flightcrew has been maintained (this year we added code to prevent malicious epubs from taking over your system) but all in all the epub2 spec has not changed and there really is not anything that fc needs to change.

epubcheck needs to keep updating as the epub3 spec is constantly in flux.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That is an actual error. It basically is saying that your epub has a link to a resource that is not listed in the manifest itself. Could the html page you added have had a link to an external resource?

It also indicates that fc needs include either the name of the opf file or better yet a name of the file that has the strange link to it.

I will look into fixing that.

Kevin

Quote:

Old 01-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
True, but the stated purpose for the OP was:

Reports does that very well...AND...allows you to DO something with the info, not just get a list of problems.
I know what the OP wants to do. epubcheck finds the same things as well.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please no fc vs epubcheck religious wars. They are only in competition for epub2 and even then they do check different things. Flightcrew has been maintained (this year we added code to prevent malicious epubs from taking over your system) but all in all the epub2 spec has not changed and there really is not anything that fc needs to change.

epubcheck needs to keep updating as the epub3 spec is constantly in flux.
So just to be clear, FC doesn't work well with ePub3 and eoubcheck should be used. Is this correct?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So just to be clear, FC doesn't work well with ePub3 and eoubcheck should be used. Is this correct?
Moderator Notice
Just to be even more perfectly clear: drop this right now, Jon. Further irrelevant comments from you about epubcheck will be deleted from here on out.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, that is an actual error in the epub.
You have either an href attribute or a src attribute or a css url that points to something that is not part of the epub manifest.

Unfortunately the *** Invalid Book Path Provided *** message is overwriting the exact path that does not seem to exist. So either the missing resource path should have been part of the error message itself, or we will need to change Sigil to not step on flightcrew filepaths that it does not recognize as these may be the exact string to help you find where the error is actually located.

I will fix this in Sigil right now.

Sorry about that.

Thank you for your bug report!

KevinH

ps. This is now fixed in master.

Quote:

Last edited by KevinH; 01-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Did FlightCrew 0.9.3 ever get released?

On the GitHub release page, a tag or something in prep for 0.9.3 is shown dated July 21, 2019, but I can't find the actual download link.

The Latest Release shown is 0.9.2, released in Dec 20, 2016.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-07.png
Views:	118
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	176228  
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote