Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
lionlungs
lionlungs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Firmware 4.10.11683

After purchasing my Kobo Clara HD, I noticed the firmware version it came with was 4.10.11683. The particular thing about this version is that it comes with a screen orientation rotation button which seems to disappear after updating the firmware. Another interesting thing about this is that there seems to be little/no results on Google for this specific firmware version.

I really like the option to change the orientation of my device to landscape every once in a while, but the trade off for this would be not being able to sync/update my device. Is there any way to keep this button on Nickel while being able to sync/update my device?
lionlungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Once you have upgraded your device to current firmware, you can edit the .kobo\Kobo\Kobo ereader.conf file to add:

[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true

I've never tested how the Kobo reacts if you don't preserve the Unix file format, but it is generally advised to download and install Notepad++ to edit this file for that reason.. (It's also an all around really useful utility.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That setting also adds a little icon to the sleep cover on my Kobos, so I actually just deleted that line on the H2O as I never use landscape since abandoning the attempt to use it for old scanned material in PDF wrappers. Small PDF manuals that on paper are A5 approx are OK on H2O. So I use a 10" LCD tablet purely for larger PDFs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
lionlungs
lionlungs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Once you have upgraded your device to current firmware, you can edit the .kobo\Kobo\Kobo ereader.conf file to add:

[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true

I've never tested how the Kobo reacts if you don't preserve the Unix file format, but it is generally advised to download and install Notepad++ to edit this file for that reason.. (It's also an all around really useful utility.
That seemed to do the trick, thanks!
lionlungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Cupidobier
Cupidobier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Thanks, it also works in the Netherlands
Cupidobier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupidobier View Post
Thanks, it also works in the Netherlands
Why are you using 4.10 when 4.19 is the current firmware and works much better?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you using 4.10 when 4.19 is the current firmware and works much better?
But also, note that if you do upgrade, you need to use the patch instead of the config option, otherwise the rotation icon won't show in the reader.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
But also, note that if you do upgrade, you need to use the patch instead of the config option, otherwise the rotation icon won't show in the reader.
Good point!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote