Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #151
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think she implied that a different author automatically means non-canon. She meant (I think) that no-one--original author included--should be able to retconn what has already been published.

Even with multiple authors writing in the Star Wars universe, they were sticking to the "canon" of what has gone before. It wasn't until Disney took over that previously established canon was thrown out the Window.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #152
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Well, of course it won't be canon and of course it won't be Tolkien. It would be someone else. Just look at the sheer number of authors, some of them quite well known, such as Robert Jordan and de Camp, who have written Conan the Barbarian books. I think there are some 50 Conan books that were written after Howard died. This whole, Thou Shall No Write in Another Author's Universe, commandment is a very recent thing.

What would happen if it got opened up? Probably the same thing as you got with the Conan books and the Star Wars books, 90% of it drek with a handful of quite good works, but non of it canon.
Conan is a good example of voice. His imitators do not compare with Howard. Conan is the tower of elephants, thieves in the house, red nails. His style and pace are unique. The vision of his story is...inimitable. For me anyway.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #153
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think she implied that a different author automatically means non-canon. She meant (I think) that no-one--original author included--should be able to retconn what has already been published.

Even with multiple authors writing in the Star Wars universe, they were sticking to the "canon" of what has gone before. It wasn't until Disney took over that previously established canon was thrown out the Window.
I think great works can be effectively rebooted, but only by a great author. I am thinking of Alan Moore who reinvented many comics while maintaining canon. He recreated and improved the Joker with The Killing Joke.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #154
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I had a glimpse at the start of the The Iron Tower. I like Tolkien. I've read the main works and some of the other stuff cobbled together by his son.

This is why I like Tolkien, and perhaps even more so, The Night Land: These two works have voice. Both authors have a unique voice when they write. Something about their prose is unique. It is recognizable to them. It is the same way that we immediately recognize Jagger's voice. And this voice elevates the story in same way Jagger's voice elevates what are often quite run-of-the-mill songs.

This is also explains why it is impossible to write a dumbed-down version of Hodgson. For the same reason "modern" versions of Shakespeare are like cigarettes with the nicotine removed.

In contrast, from my brief glimpse of the Iron Tower, the voice does not stand out. I find this the case in many modern works, and am turned off by them. To further argue the point--look at Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, etc. They had voice, especially Clarke. All his great prose dripped with eons and tragedy and striving. It was gigantic in tone, like Hodgson's greatest work. And King to the illustration. He has remarkable voice. Read the Long Walk. And Chandler. And Fitzgerald. The list goes on.

So yeah, that's why I like Tolkien and not the Iron Tower. The latter comes across as a generic rip off not only because it is a weak imitation in terms of story, but because it has no distinct voice.
I think you have that exactly right. You can like a book for the story or for the voice. If you like both, it is a bonus. If you hate the voice, doesn't matter how good the story is, the story will be ruined (in that particular book). On the other hand a really good voice can make even a bad story or topic interesting and enjoyable to read.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote