Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
kici
kici began at the beginning.

Device: K080
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
So to confirm, you are doing this while the device is connected to your PC/Mac?
First I move the update.zip file, the the Kobo, then I unplug as per instructions and reboot the Kobo. It starts the update and then that is where I end up
kici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I can't recall exactly but I *think* I had to do my updating using the Kobo desktop application. I could be wrong though, and am hoping someone else can weigh in on this..?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #18
kici

I tried but did not get any such options via the desktop app. Also, the instructions on their website actually state put the downloaded file (renamed to update.zip) into the Kobo, via UBS while connected to the PC, then disconnect and reboot...
Old 08-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, well if it has just been reset/updated I would imagine you don’t have a Wifi connection. Just before the point it asks you to log in, have you tried to reconnect to the computer with the Kobo desktop application already running?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #20
kici

It does connect to wifi, the problem is it cannot go past the login screen due to the firmware update they have.

The one I am trying to get, I also contacted kobo support, they created a ticket and have still not gotten back to me... lol
Advert
Old 08-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
jerrydesmond
jerrydesmond began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc Tablet
Smile Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Try the instructions here for manually updating via Windows or Mac, being sure to use the correct file for your device.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...o-Arc-software

Good luck!
This worked perfectly for my KoboArc tablet although the link is for KoboArc eReader. After following all the steps and restarting the tablet, it starts to download the update. Then you can log into your Kobo account or sign up as new user of Kobo.
jerrydesmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydesmond View Post
This worked perfectly for my KoboArc tablet although the link is for KoboArc eReader. After following all the steps and restarting the tablet, it starts to download the update. Then you can log into your Kobo account or sign up as new user of Kobo.
The Kobo Arc tablet is the Kobo Arc ereader. They are not two separate devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #23
kici

Seems I am just an idiot on this one, I've got Kobo Vox Model K080

@slate was kind enough to provide a link " http://download.kobobooks.com/vox/update.zip "

However now I am stuck past that update.

It continually re-loads the "Kobo" logo with the sound every 10 seconds lol. Does not go past that. lol
Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #24
jerrydesmond
jerrydesmond began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo Arc tablet is the Kobo Arc ereader. They are not two separate devices.
Thanks DNSB. I thought there is difference between tablet (range of features and programs) and eReader (only to read docs).
jerrydesmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #25
teija
Gadget fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydesmond View Post
I thought there is difference between tablet (range of features and programs) and eReader (only to read docs).
I think when the word "eReader" is used, in this instance it was referring to "eInk" (reader). Some folks still consider an iPad to be an eReader for example, but personally I view it as a tablet with an LCD screen on which a user can read eBooks. I try to reserve the term "eReader" to eInk devices only.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
leif20
leif20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I ran in to this same issue, created an account here to post my resolution.

I have a regular ARC. I like this thing because it is dead simple and has an enormous battery. Im sure there are other ereaders that are good too, but i'm happy with this one. It has been running a bit sluggish, so I decided to do a factory reset. BIG MISTAKE!! Turns out I needed to update the darn thing before doing that. I work in software testing so I ca understand the developers' needs to update their software to match latest security standards, but two emails in my inbox wasn't enough notification for me to follow the instructions. I guess I should pay more attention to my email.

I factory reset the device and got stuck at the update screen, error #7. This is where the run-around began. I found the help article at the kobo website (https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...o-Arc-software) but I didnt pick the right model number.
When I tried to install the update for the arc 7 the device wouldn't take it. also, when copying it to the device I would get no progress bar. so both of these things led me to believe that the device was bricked.

the solution in my case was two non-intuitive pieces of information
1. use the software for the regular arc, not the arc 7.
2. even though the progress bar is not udpating as it would with any other file transfer, the update did eventually end up on the device. it took about 5 minutes but it was on there. afterwards I disconnected and rebooted, and the update installed.

Also, I wasn't able to see the device on my mac computer since i believe one needs to enable the usb file transfer option in the settings, but since I had reset my device I couldnt access the settings menu. It only worked on my windows 7 computer.

I hope this is helpful for anyone experiencing this!
leif20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #27
zohar101
zohar101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Does anyone have mirror links for the download files? I keep trying to download off of kobo's website but the links do not work anymore. I found one kobo arc that I didn't update on time and now after factory reset I got the error #7 as well, except I can't get my hands on the right file to try and fix this. Why did kobo let their links get broken so soon?
zohar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #28
Rydia
Rydia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc 10 hd
I just did the factory reset of my kobo arc 10 hd. I installed the update. And I get the "no wi fi" "there seems to be a problem with your wi fi. Please check your connection or change to a different network". The tablet is connected to the wi-fi, but not to the kobo server... Seriously, I am pissed at kobo...
Rydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #29
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
FYI for any still confused.

there was only one type of ARC. it was marketed as an e-reader with a custom home page that heavily promoted kobo books, but in reality it was an android tablet with generous storage and a big battery. mine had 64Gb as I recall.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #30
Rydia
Rydia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc 10 hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
FYI for any still confused.

there was only one type of ARC. it was marketed as an e-reader with a custom home page that heavily promoted kobo books, but in reality it was an android tablet with generous storage and a big battery. mine had 64Gb as I recall.
Yes there was originally one. But there was a 2nd generation:

"In August 2013, Kobo unveiled three additional Kobo Arc tablets. These were the Kobo Arc 10HD, Kobo Arc 7HD, and Kobo Arc 7. The Kobo Arc 10HD is a 10.1-inch tablet with 2560×1600 resolution, while Kobo Arc 7HD is a 7-inch tablet with 1920×1200 resolution, and Kobo Arc 7 is a 7-inch tablet with a 1024×600 resolution."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_Arc
Rydia is offline   Reply With Quote