Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Isn't the whole point of MobileRead to discuss the features and quirks of eReaders? Won't that, by its very nature, result in discussing the trivial?

Or should we now reply to those who ask which one they should buy... "Ah, just grab the closest one... they all turn pages by tapping or swiping anyhow"

It may be trivial but I don't like page numbers that change with font face or size. I don't like it enough that, at this point, upgrading to a newer Kobo is no longer a consideration. There are plenty of other choices for us "lucky ones who don't have anything important to worry about."
Why not read ePub and forgo KePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep. I can't imagine anyone using an ereader they hate for longer than a few days. Of course words said in the heat of the moment don't really count as real hate.

I'm also one of those who can't imagine hating any ereader. I love my Libra and my Oases, even my Nook feels and looks very nice, software flaws notwithstanding. I have sold a couple of ereaders I no longer used (in one case, hardly used at all), but I felt a bit sorry for doing that. I still liked them.
The Reader I dislike the most is the nook ST. The firmware is very poor and it has partitioned storage. Also, the font handling is rather poor. When I last used the nook it did not display the same font as well as the Sony 505 or 650.

The thing is sometimes changes are made that are not needed to be made or are a change for the worse. And then there are the changes we want that never get made. But all it takes is for one of these made changes to get some to go off the rails over their Reader like the OP for this thread.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, I don't hate my ebook reader. Rather, I hate [some] people! (Only one, actually.)

Why hate a "machine", if it can't hate back?

I am now getting additional enjoyment out of my Kobo Aura One, due to the recent firmware upgrade.
I like seeing how far away I am from finishing the chapter. So I would have to say I am getting more from the 4.18 firmware.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Reader I dislike the most is the nook ST. The firmware is very poor and it has partitioned storage. Also, the font handling is rather poor. When I last used the nook it did not display the same font as well as the Sony 505 or 650.
The font that looks best on my Nook is DejaVu Serif Eink (I embed it in the books I sideload to my Nook). I've found that every ereader brand displays fonts differently and what looks good on a Kobo, doesn't look as good on a Kindle or a Nook. And vice versa, of course. So I use one font on my Libra, another on my Kindles and the third one on my Nook.

And, of course, the whole font thing is extremely subjective. One person's honey is another's poison, etc.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #65
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The font that looks best on my Nook is DejaVu Serif Eink (I embed it in the books I sideload to my Nook). I've found that every ereader brand displays fonts differently and what looks good on a Kobo, doesn't look as good on a Kindle or a Nook. And vice versa, of course. So I use one font on my Libra, another on my Kindles and the third one on my Nook.

And, of course, the whole font thing is extremely subjective. One person's honey is another's poison, etc.
Out of curiosity what font do you use on Kobo, I ask as I find I rattata like DejaVu Serif Eink on my Forma so it follows we may have similar taste In font choice.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #66
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Out of curiosity what font do you use on Kobo, I ask as I find I rattata like DejaVu Serif Eink on my Forma so it follows we may have similar taste In font choice.
LexiaDama. I have the advanced font control patch enabled, so I can increase the weight. It's too thin without any weight added.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

But your nook is not a nook ST. The nook ST has terrible firmware with terrible font display.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I like seeing how far away I am from finishing the chapter. So I would have to say I am getting more from the 4.18 firmware.
Why not just read kepub instead of ePub? That's been a feature since forever.

Also, the Nooks you love to slag also tell how many pages are left in the chapter and have for a while now.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
But your nook is not a nook ST. The nook ST has terrible firmware with terrible font display.
None of the Nook firmware is as good as Kobo offers. But honestly, I could go back to reading on my Nook ST today. It's missing Kobo's bells and whistles, but I had no issues with it when it was my daily device.

Some things on the Nook ST are gone from current Nook firmware and they are missed (the 'back to book' button in the top left for instance).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why not just read kepub instead of ePub? That's been a feature since forever.

Also, the Nooks you love to slag also tell how many pages are left in the chapter and have for a while now.
RMSDK (ePub) gives much better typesetting then Access (KePub).
Old 11-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Why not read ePub and forgo KePub?
That requires some kind of "intervention" (DRM removal and KePub to ePub conversion) if you're downloading books from Overdrive or the Kobo bookstore. I don't believe in doing that with library books.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've noticed that fonts render differently on different readers also. My two favorite fonts are Constantia and DejaVu Serif Eink, but I almost always use Constantia on the Tolinos now, where I was using DejaVu Serif on other readers. On the Nook Glowlight (2015) for books I buy from B&N, I use the built-in Georgia at the "thicker" setting and, though I don't like it as much as the fonts above, it's still not bad.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That requires some kind of "intervention" (DRM removal and KePub to ePub conversion) if you're downloading books from Overdrive or the Kobo bookstore. I don't believe in doing that with library books.
You don't have to sync and you can side load and get ePub. I don't sync. I don't turn on WiFi. I just download ePub and go from there.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've noticed that fonts render differently on different readers also. My two favorite fonts are Constantia and DejaVu Serif Eink, but I almost always use Constantia on the Tolinos now, where I was using DejaVu Serif on other readers. On the Nook Glowlight (2015) for books I buy from B&N, I use the built-in Georgia at the "thicker" setting and, though I don't like it as much as the fonts above, it's still not bad.
Fonts can render differently with different resolution screens. But the nook ST used the same screen that the Sony used and yet the Sony rendered fonts much better then the nook. My guess is that the same inadequate font rendering engine was also used in the nook Glowlight. I would hope it's been fixed since then.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I didn't think so. When I bought my first Kindle Touch I immediately gave it away because I thought the fonts sucked when compared to the Nook ST (which was my first reader). Later I found out I could install custom fonts on the Kindle Touch and that made a big difference. But the fonts on the Nook ST were dark and readable "out of box." I mostly used Caecilia.