Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #31
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I am confused by this thread. According to this link:

Quote:
E Ink has developed a new type of TFT screen, each pixel displays either red, green, blue, black or white.
So E Ink -- I presume, E Ink the company -- is going to sell a TFT screen. AFAIK, that's a kind of LCD, as described here:

Thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display

If you believe what Good e-Reader is saying (and I realize that some opinions on that source are negative), this wouldn't be a color version of electronic paper, such as used in products like Kindle and Kobo eReaders. It would instead be yet another backlit screen product.

Or, as does sometimes happen, am I totally missing it?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #32
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

So E Ink -- I presume, E Ink the company -- is going to sell a TFT screen. AFAIK, that's a kind of LCD, as described here:

If you believe what Good e-Reader is saying (and I realize that some opinions on that source are negative), this wouldn't be a color version of electronic paper, such as used in products like Kindle and Kobo eReaders. It would instead be yet another backlit screen product.

What also puzzled me is the article talks about using RGB colors, which I thought was what's used for transmitted light like our monitors, tablets, etc. but for reflective light, like print, I thought they'd use CMY (aka blue, red, yellow).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #33
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Always next year.
^ exactly that
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
What also puzzled me is the article talks about using RGB colors, which I thought was what's used for transmitted light like our monitors, tablets, etc. but for reflective light, like print, I thought they'd use CMY (aka blue, red, yellow).
RGB is additive color, CMY is subtractive color. Color eink uses sub-pixels next to each other, so additive color is used.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #35
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:

c/p

" Flexible displays have been discussed for years, but product designers were unable to bring their visions to the market due to limitations in TFT manufacturing on non-glass substrates. After many years of R&D, E Ink has launched E Ink Mobius, the first plastic-based TFT product offered in mass production ... "

https://www.eink.com/flexible-technology.html

Last edited by Marinolino; 12-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
Small cheap Kindle tablets and similar other brands are priced low. However, large size color tablets for reading pdf's, color comics, magazines, etc (the very market these color e-ink devices are aimed at) are definitely not "low" priced. 12" Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, HP, and other large tablets start at over $1200. here in Canada.

Lots of people would welcome a large 12" or more color e-ink device if it were competitively priced.
The problem there is what is 'competitively priced'? I bought a Surface primarily because I wanted a 12" screen to read comics. But I was able to justify the cost because the Surface was also able to replace my laptop.

I'd like a nice 12" color e-ink reader. But would I pay $1,200 for such a device that I at least would only use to read comics? Probably not.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #37
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My eye doctor has never said using backlit devices can "damage" normally healthy eyes.

In the 50s a lot of doctors didn't say that smoking is bad for your health. The damage, especially from the intensive blue light, will accumulate slowly.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t see this as viable except for whatever the market is for reMarkable and Sony DTP devices (~$600). Marking up PDFs, with color business graphics.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #39
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I assume that you have not been exposed to learning in technologically advanced countries, else you would not make such claims.

In my own country, and I know in many others too, PCs, tablets, laptops and even phones are widely used for in class learning and for study. Most schools are fibre connected and interschool sharing of learning and live video over the internet is common, as is distance learning over the internet for children living in remote locations.

Of course, this is all with LCD or OLED display devices, so according to you they are all damaging their eyes. That would be regarded as a wierd idea to everyone involved.
I am outdated. My wife just told me that children from 12 years old use computers in class. For me a mistake. Reading for hours on those screens is not good and tiresome sight but hey ...
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #40
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post
I am outdated. My wife just told me that children from 12 years old use computers in class. For me a mistake. Reading for hours on those screens is not good and tiresome sight but hey ...
More than that, it seems that using almost any form of computer (including phones) in class results in lower levels of learning. It apparently (and I'm not suprised by this) helps a lot to write things down in your own hand.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
More than that, it seems that using almost any form of computer (including phones) in class results in lower levels of learning. It apparently (and I'm not suprised by this) helps a lot to write things down in your own hand.
But I would guess they are not even taking digital notes.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #42
abbibi
E-Ink Explorer
abbibi began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense TOUCH, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
Quote:

TFT only means "thin film transistor." The technology can be applied to things beyond liquid crystal, like E-Ink does. See Wikipedia's explanation.

TFT LCDs are being replaced by IPS (In-Plane Switching) tech. IPS LCDs are significantly better, with improved color, contrast, viewing angles, and lower energy consumption.
abbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #43
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
TFT is just a method of turning pixels on and off, a grid more or less and as pointed out above can be used in LCDs, e-ink displays and other places.

IPS LCDs are typically superior, IPS has been around almost 25 years and any decent laptop has had IPS for ten years now.

E-ink displays are great for reading because of the contrast, low power consumption and so forth. But they have limitations. They are slow, so not great with video. Grey scale resolution is limited and they are problematical with colour. Colour e-ink has been around a while but the colors are muted and dull compared with the saturation and vibrancy found in backlit technologies.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #44
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbibi View Post
TFT only means "thin film transistor." The technology can be applied to things beyond liquid crystal, like E-Ink does. See Wikipedia's explanation.

TFT LCDs are being replaced by IPS (In-Plane Switching) tech. IPS LCDs are significantly better, with improved color, contrast, viewing angles, and lower energy consumption.
IPS panel is also a type of TFT LCD panel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-f...rystal_display

TN, IPS, VA panels.

https://www.techspot.com/article/178...tech-compared/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X863ajSVAbs

TFT backplane on AMOLED panel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

Last edited by Marinolino; 12-11-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #45
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
People who read for pleasure enough to buy a tech device for reading...are a very small market to begin with.
Of all my friends, I can't think of one who does not have an eReader. Us friends did not meet through a reading club - we all come from different backgrounds. I can't believe the eReader market is as small as you suggest. Smaller than the cellphone market, sure, but not all that small. I, like many here, fall into the upper middle class category, so buying an eReader is not a financial stretch. Maybe things are different for people of extremely meager means (but they don't seem to have any problems buying cellphones much better than the one I own!)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color e-ink