Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Does anyone hate the PW4?

I see there is a sale on, and suddenly a jailbreak has become available for the PW4. I have a PW2 that I use koreader on, and it's a good experience. So I'm tempted to pick up a PW4 while it's cheaper and I can jailbreak it.

I've heard a couple of bad things about the PW4. I've heard the screen is not as nice as say a PW4. Apparently the font is not as dark, or fainter. Also I've heard the color light is a rather weak yellow color rather than an orange.

What are your experiences. Do you like or dislike it? Excuse the possibly provocative title, but I'm looking to see if there is a catch I don't know about before I drop the $$$.

Personally I'm a big fan of the PW2 hardware, I just don't like the on-board software. But Koreader turns it into an excellent device, as long as I can jailbreak, and suddenly it seems I can, if I'm quick...
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just realized that the PW4 doesn't have a colored light. I assumed it had as all the other brand entry-level e-readers have one. That's saved me some money! Shame though, as the like the Kindle hardware. Maybe next year, if the community ever releases a jailbreak again...
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
The harsh light is a bit of a bummer. As for jailbreak, beware: Recently made devices (stocks starting from early 2019) are not jailbreakable (at least until somebody dumps the storage image for 5.10.3+ factory fw, if it's even there).
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
The harsh light is a bit of a bummer. As for jailbreak, beware: Recently made devices (stocks starting from early 2019) are not jailbreakable (at least until somebody dumps the storage image for 5.10.3+ factory fw, if it's even there).
We do have a copy of factory fw 5.10.3. Unfortunately, Amazon has already fixed busybox so we can't use the factory jailbreak method directly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
We do have a copy of factory fw 5.10.3. Unfortunately, Amazon has already fixed busybox so we can't use the factory jailbreak method directly.
If there's /usr/local, there's (plenty) of hope. For starters, the factory image enabled usbnet & dropbear on it, too? Granted, slightly more awkward for people to install usbnet drivers. The ; commands to start usbnet are still present even on 5.12 image, so I imagine factory still has it.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Here's the link if you want to try your luck with 5.10.3

https://mega.nz/#!i3BSFSDD!tR1E6MVco...UlNdEFXgVKM9GM
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard

Shame the closed the hack so quickly. Such a waste of nice kit.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
"Does anyone hate the PW4?"

yes. a thousand times yes. but that's me
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote