Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
Poopsey
Poopsey began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Question Epub help

I used Indesign to convert a children's book into a fixed-layout Epub. I used Calibre to edit it page by page. This is going to be a read-along epub. I have the audio all done and marked in the epub and I have to work on putting everything together, I am having a few issues.

1. Calibre took the first letter if the first word in a paragraph and separated it form the rest of the word. Now that letter is smaller than the rest of the word and looks strange. I don't know Css well enough to fix the problem.

2. I set up the recommended viewport of each page to 2048 px wide and 1536 px long. This was recommended because of the variety of sizes of IPads. Calibre kept doing very strange things like not using graphic scenes for the pages and replacing them with other scenes. I decided after fixing the order many times to switch to Dreamweaver which seems to be working out. However, I am wondering why the dimension of the scenes supposedly have huge dimensions in the code like 3600x 3700 but appear to fit just fine,

3. On one page there was a misspelled word.. When I corrected it, it stuck to the next word and I couldn't get a space between them.

These kind of errors are making me crazy because I want to get done with this already so I can work on the code for the audio.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Janis
Poopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since calibre's ebook-viewer does not currently support fixed layout, I'd recommend looking at a different program to edit/view FLO epubs. In your case, I'd suggest biting the bullet and finishing the epub in InDesign despite it's learning curve. Dreamweaver can be used, sort of, to edit epubs if you don't mind unpacking and repacking, adding bits here and there to allow editing ncx and opf files, etc.

I've attached a snip of calibre's viewer and a commercial FLO epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry_Potter_FLO.png
Views:	241
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	172313  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopsey View Post
3. On one page there was a misspelled word.. When I corrected it, it stuck to the next word and I couldn't get a space between them.
A fixed-layout EPUB is generally not editable. Typically each word is placed individually at a particular position on the page by the HTML coding.

Changing the text will not cause the rest of the words to reflow to make room for the edit, so if you want to change something you have to go back and edit the original source and regenerate the fixed-layout EPUB again.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since calibre's ebook-viewer does not currently support fixed layout, I'd recommend looking at a different program to edit/view FLO epubs.
Yep, Calibre doesn't support Fixed Layout EPUBs.

You would most likely have to test on a physical device itself (iBooks on an iPad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Changing the text will not cause the rest of the words to reflow to make room for the edit, so if you want to change something you have to go back and edit the original source and regenerate the fixed-layout EPUB again.
Yep, if you wanted to work from InDesign, that's the way that would be recommended.

Fixing the source document and reexporting from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A fixed-layout EPUB is generally not editable. Typically each word is placed individually at a particular position on the page by the HTML coding.

InDesign's Fixed Layout EPUBs wraps each, and, every, single, word, in a span and specifies the absolute pixel position.

Back in 2015, I posted a code example out of InDesign and a few things on Fixed Layout:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...50#post3063050

Absolutely horrifying code that thing outputs.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-09-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
As everyone here has already explained, you're trying to bake a cake with a hot rock and dirt and leaves. You're using the wrong tools for the job and unfortunately for you, every single iota of work you've put in has been wasted.

IF you are going to edit your fixed-layout ePUB--which you really should not attempt, until you've done a few more hundred books--you risk really screwing up the layout. On top of that, you need proper software to do that with; I guess Dreamweaver is okay, but it's not meant for eBooks, either.

Lastly, do you know how to make an SMIL file? And what you're going to need to do, to make a read-along for iBooks, which I presume is the intended vendor? That's a rather massive task, especially if you don't have any existing clips, programs, etc. to assist you.

I'm sorry that you've wasted so much time on this, because what you've done isn't salvageable. Make your edits in INDD, not in the HTML. You change a single word, a single letter and you can wreak havoc on the entire book, having not done this before.

I have to ask--why on earth were you editing the layout, anyway? What was it you were trying to achieve that you didn't do in INDD?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Poopsey
Poopsey began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Thanks all.
I fixed the code which is a pain. It looks good now. I am using Sigl and have weird things happening.. I will do another post now. I don't know if I can ask other things a reply.

Janis
Poopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopsey View Post
Thanks all.
I fixed the code which is a pain. It looks good now. I am using Sigl and have weird things happening.. I will do another post now. I don't know if I can ask other things a reply.

Janis
Janis,

I'm not sure what you mean, when you say that you "fixed the code," but if you're trying to do a fixed-layout ePUB, you may find that you've inadvertently fixed or removed that which is needed, for the book to work in the read along.

You say that "weird things are happening," but...you seem, from what you've said, to be going in the wrong direction. For a read-along, the code that you should be modifying wouldn't already be in the fixed-layout ePUB; you would need new code, for the SMIL and all that.

I hope you post what you've done so that hopefully, someone here can aid you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Janis, would it be too cruel of me if I said you shouldn't be attempting this? I've been formatting Kindle editions since November 2007, starting in Word, then in html files, and since January 2012 in Sigil-built epub2s. And I have been throwing html files onto the web since very early days, 1993 I think it was, when (as we used to say) "Yahoo! was still a hillbilly cheer."

But I wouldn't attempt to do what you're trying to do.

(It is of course true that I don't do kids' books, let alone read-along kids' books.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One tool that might be of interest, if you are a Mac user, is CircularFLO which one author of my acquaintance now swears by for her kidlit books. OTOH, she also loves Vellum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub 3.0, read-along