Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
.....Philosophy directs us first to seek the goods of the mind, and the rest will either be supplied, or not much wanted.
..........— Francis Bacon (Lord Verulam) (1561-1626), English essayist, philosopher. The Advancement of Learning, viii, 2.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-20-2010 at 07:15 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
There is a land of the living and a land of the dead, and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.
- Thornton Wilder. The bridge of San Luis Rey. Last sentence
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.....It is a great deal easier to set a story afloat than to stop it. If you want truth to go round the world you must hire an express train to pull it; but if you want a lie to go round the world, it will fly: it is as light as a feather, and a breath will carry it. It is well said in the old proverb, "A lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on."
..........— Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92), sermon delivered on Sunday morning, April 1, 1855.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....“The world is stablished, that it cannot be moved.” Who will venture to place the authority of Copernicus above that of the Holy Spirit?
..........— John Calvin. Quoted in A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell, Book Three, pt. I, ch. VI. (The Scriptural quote is from Psalms 93:1.)

.....People give ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred Scripture tells us that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth.
..........— Martin Luther (1483-1546), Father of the Reformation. Ibid.

.....I don’t care what the educational political lobby and their allies on the left say, evolution is hooey.
..........— Dr. Don McLeroy, D.D.S., former Texas School Board member. Quoted in "Revisionaries: How a group of Texas conservatives is rewriting your kids’ textbooks" by Mariah Blake, Washington Monthly, January/February 2010.

Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #36
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
fery interesting, but not funny! Way around, very interesting and funny. Sort of showing the dark side of the authority. Mazarino or Richelieu once said that with a letter, a pair of scissors and some glue he could demonstrate anything about the author. That he was good, bad, guilty or innocent.

On the third item of the last post: I would not be concerned about freedom of the press, but freedom of reading. And in this very case of the Texan educands freedom from reading.

Here is my quote of the day
Bigotry and ignorance have big mouths but short legs. (beppe, private conversation, 2010)

Last edited by beppe; 05-19-2010 at 03:36 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....I don’t believe we’re going to bridge that divide that separates us in this country along racial lines unless we learn to love one another. I know that sounds simplistic, but I honestly believe that that is the only answer.
..........— Morris Dees, co-founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to opposing hate crimes and teaching tolerance. “Only love will bridge racial divide, activist says,” Virginian-Pilot (January 24, 1997).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-20-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
.....I don’t believe we’re going to bridge that divide that separates us in this country along racial lines unless we learn to love one another. I know that sounds simplistic, but I honestly believe that that is the only answer.
..........— Morris Dees, co-founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to opposing hate crimes and teaching tolerance. “Only love will bridge racial divide, activist says,” Virginian-Pilot (January 24, 1997).
Thanks for that one in particular Tom. I've been (re)watching several episodes of "American Experience" about the civil rights movement and am working on a poem regarding some aspects of it. I'm finding it quite fascinating what all was going on as I was making my way through elementary and middle school and me pretty much without awareness of it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks for that one in particular Tom. I've been (re)watching several episodes of "American Experience" about the civil rights movement and am working on a poem regarding some aspects of it. I'm finding it quite fascinating what all was going on as I was making my way through elementary and middle school and me pretty much without awareness of it.

We hope to see that in the usual place here on MR - when it is completed ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....Alternative history is not "rewriting" history to be "politically correct." It is taking the defensiveness out of the biased history that taught about happy slaves and savage Indians. It is being honest about what really happened and recognizing two sides to the stories of conflict. One of the appropriate biases is to talk about discovering an empty virgin country when it was already full of people with political and economic systems. Conservative estimates are that there were between nine and fifteen million people on the North American Continent alone who were "discovered" by Columbus. They thought they lived here and had a pretty decent civilization. Archeological digs in the deserts of the mid-west show pretty clear patterns of large cities with underground water systems and sophisticated waste removal systems. The pre-Columbian population of the native American city of Cahokia (near what is now East St. Louis) has clearly been established at about forty to sixty thousand people. I never saw that in a cowboys and Indians movie.
..........— Dr. Walter "Skip" Earl, Methodist minister, former TUUS President. "What Do You Mean "We", White Man?" From "Skip’s Script: The President’s Corner," TUUS Times (Newsletter of the Tidewater Unitarian Universalist Society, Oct. 7, 1991.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #41
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Halfway down the stairs is a stair where I sit, there isn't any other stair quite like it.

AA Milne

Sorry, it just came to mind when I saw Poohbear in here
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ...Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born.
..........— François De Salignac De La Mothe-Fénelon (1651-1715), French writer, Archbishop of Cambray. Sermon (1685). Quoted in The Great Quotations by George Seldes.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #43
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
"Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long they live, although it is within the reach of every man to live nobly, but within no man's power to live long."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman Stoic philosopher

As quoted from "Private Sector" by Brian Haig (p436). Which is a good [fiction] novel about the continuing adventures of an Army JAG, Sean Drummond. Haig has about six books published with Drummond as the main protagonist. I've read - and liked - them all.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
"Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long they live, although it is within the reach of every man to live nobly, but within no man's power to live long."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman Stoic philosopher

As quoted from "Private Sector" by Brian Haig (p436). Which is a good [fiction] novel about the continuing adventures of an Army JAG, Sean Drummond. Haig has about six books published with Drummond as the main protagonist. I've read - and liked - them all.

Marilyn
Wonderful quote! Thanks for sharing!

BTW, that's from Seneca the Younger's Epistle 22, line 17.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've had Sharon Old's latest book of poetry in my to-read pile for a week or so now....just picked it up and randomly flipped to page 36 and was blown away by the first two lines of this poem:

Freezer

When I think of people who kill and eat people,
I think of how lonely my mother was.

killer Sharon Olds! Wow!

Excerpts of the book including this poem are available on google books here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=V9U...page&q&f=false
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote