Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Refurbished Kobo Minis, $37.

Someone has "seller refurbished" Kobo Minis up for sale for $37 on eBay. The price includes shipping. I can't, personally, vouch for the seller, but he/she has sold 88 of these (supposedly guaranteed) and has a 99.1% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Mini-E...fd0d1c|iid%3A1

(The seller is also advertising Kobo motherboards, Touch, Mini, Glo, original Aura, Aura H2O and Aura HD, from $10 to $20 including s/h.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-07-2018 at 05:59 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I just bought one. I was about to buy a kindle basic and decided to get the mini instead. When the mini came out, I wanted one, but purchased a glo instead. I just want something that I can put in my purse for traveling. I will reply again when I receive it.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
ha, 16 dollar shipping to europe so i am better of buying a Glo with backlight for 50 bucks.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
If the Mini had an internal light, I would consider it.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I just bought one. I was about to buy a kindle basic and decided to get the mini instead. When the mini came out, I wanted one, but purchased a glo instead. I just want something that I can put in my purse for traveling. I will reply again when I receive it.
I hope it works out. I had always wished I had bought one of these when they were still available – found one about a month and half ago at a 2nd Hand Store – upgraded it, played with it a bit and then let it sit. I came back to it about a week ago when I decided I wanted to read some of my Kobo books I bought years ago. I just finished one book on it an started another. Although I still wish the screen had a little more contrast, the reader, itself, is very light, small and easy to hold.

I see "another" Niagara Falls seller (using the same pictures) has more Kobo Minis up for sale at $41. I think this is the seller – "spinningnoon" – that Zod Wallop (I hope I spelled his user name right) keeps mentioning when touting the original Aura reader. I'm pretty sure "maplewag" and "spinningnoon" are the same seller and, since spinningnoon" seems reliable, that should be good news.
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
ha, 16 dollar shipping to europe so i am better of buying a Glo with backlight for 50 bucks.
Unfortunately, $16 is about the minimum we (U.S. citizens) can pay now for International Mail parcels from the United States (if you want tracking).
Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My mini came in today and I am very happy with it. Looks brand new and arrived fully charged.

Last edited by mystika1; 05-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Excellent! Happy reading!
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #9
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Was VERY tempted to pull the trigger on this but decided to stand down after weighing the pros and cons. This is a 5 year old reader without a front light and low resolution screen. About the only advantage it has over my Nook ST and Sony PRS-505 is the small size.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
About the only advantage it has over my Nook ST and Sony PRS-505 is the small size.
Personally I think that's a pretty big advantage when traveling.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
My mini came in today and I am very happy with it. Looks brand new and arrived fully charged.
I'm glad to hear it. It looks like the seller put up 18 more and has sold all but six of those. There still seems to be a market for 5" readers. (Hint, Kobo, hint, hint.)
Old 05-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
mystika1
Addict

I actually wasn't expecting to like it this much considering the spec difference compared to my paperwhite and voyage.

I've always prefer heavier fonts and after adding my favorite one, (Diavlo Bold) I'm really happy. I really don't mind the resolution difference. I know it's old, but it's so lightweight and cute that I plan to take it with me everywhere. Lol I used to hate reading lights, but I found myself digging out my mighty bright and using the mini over my voyage last night. I must be going crazy, but I just bought a kobo reading light for $5

I would be first in line if kobo created a new version with front light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1526125909093-835749602.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	163945  

Last edited by mystika1; 05-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Personally I think that's a pretty big advantage when traveling.
I finally gave in and ordered the Mini this morning. Although I hate the idea of owning another reader without a front light, the small size pushed me to buy it. Being able to carry it in my pocket means more opportunities to read.

I also realized that there may never be a reader this small ever again. Despite rumors that Kobo might release a successor to the Mini, their recent trend has been devices with large screens.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I would be first in line if kobo created a new version with front light.
Agreed. I was really hoping the Kobo Clara would be a lighted Mini, but no luck. An internal light is a critical feature for me since I do so much of my reading in low-lit locations, and using an external light isn't an option.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I've always prefer heavier fonts and after adding my favorite one, (Diavlo Bold) I'm really happy. I really don't mind the resolution difference. I know it's old, but it's so lightweight and cute that I plan to take it with me everywhere. Lol I used to hate reading lights, but I found myself digging out my mighty bright and using the mini over my voyage last night. I must be going crazy, but I just bought a kobo reading light for $5
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I finally gave in and ordered the Mini this morning. Although I hate the idea of owning another reader without a front light, the small size pushed me to buy it. Being able to carry it in my pocket means more opportunities to read.

I also realized that there may never be a reader this small ever again. Despite rumors that Kobo might release a successor to the Mini, their recent trend has been devices with large screens.
I always kind of kicked myself for not getting a Mini when they used to sell them at Best Buy (or when they were clearing them out on eBay). But, until I held one, I didn't expect they would be so small and light. But there's an even smaller one, the Trekstor Pyrus/Liro Mini with a 4.3" screen, that I would love to get – but I'm guessing that's not going to happen in the U.S. If you go to these reviews ...

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pyrus-mini.html

http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/7...em-4-3-czesc-i

... you'll see how small they are, even compared to a Kobo Mini. There was someone selling these on Mobile Read, but they wouldn't ship to the U.S. (darn the luck).

I've got the Kobo Light also. I use it mostly on my Touch, but it will work (sort of) on the Mini. It will grip on much better if you remove the removable back cover, but I don't know how often you'll want to take that cover off and put it back on.

My Kobo Mini is just using the Publisher font (for this particular book) in these pictures, but I've got the Full Page hack enabled so I don't have that extra space at the bottom. (Pictures taken in "subdued" interior lighting.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_164501.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	827.7 KB
ID:	163948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_164509.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	983.3 KB
ID:	163949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_164626.jpg
Views:	317