Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #76
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm concerned, but I don't agree with you at all.

I'll buy from any site that legitimately sells what I wish to buy.
Yeah, I'm with you. I just want to buy and read books on a convenient e-device. I suspect the majority of readers are in that camp. I enjoy using Calibre, as it's a great way to keep track of all your books and authors, etc. But, if Amazon blocks that luxury, then I'll accept that.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #77
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Can we stay on topic please - discussions about whether to buy books from Amazon, or whatever from wherever, have nothing whatsoever to do with calibre

You can't buy calibre from anywhere - 'cos its free to download, free to use, and within generous limits you have the freedom to rewrite and add to it as you see fit.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #78
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I downloaded Kindle for Mac 1.17.1.
I am currently using Kindle for Mac 1.12.4 but I can't find the option to uncheck automatically install updates. Under Tools there is only Bookmark, Manage Your Kindle, Sync to Furthest Page Read. It is also not in Preferences.

Or could this mean that Kindle for Mac doesn't autoupdate?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #79
monsieurms
monsieurms began at the beginning.

Device: palm 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're welcome
Thanks for your great work over the years. I guess this means no more upgrades from Kindle, though?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #80
Henpecked
Henpecked began at the beginning.

Device: Henpecked
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Starting with version 1.19, Kindle for PC (and Kindle for Mac) often uses the new KFX format, which is incompatible with calibre.

These books will appear in a subdirectory of the "My Kindle Content" folder, will import into calibre as "AZW" format, and will fail to convert with the error: "KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed."

At the moment Kindle for PC version 1.17 is still available from Amazon and can be installed to work around this problem. I suggest following steps:...

Thank you .
Your advice has meant that I can continue to purchase books for personal use from Amazon.
Henpecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #81
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I am currently using Kindle for Mac 1.12.4 but I can't find the option to uncheck automatically install updates. Under Tools there is only Bookmark, Manage Your Kindle, Sync to Furthest Page Read. It is also not in Preferences.

It means that 1.12 doesn't support unchecking auto update. If 1.12 still works for you, keep using it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #82
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It means that 1.12 doesn't support unchecking auto update. If 1.12 still works for you, keep using it.
Thank you. Yes, it's still working for me, but probably only because I download from Amazon using transfer via USB.
According to Amazon, my version is not supported any more, so I was thinking of installing 1.17.
If you think there is no need, I guess I will continue using 1.12.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thank you. Yes, it's still working for me, but probably only because I download from Amazon using transfer via USB.
According to Amazon, my version is not supported any more, so I was thinking of installing 1.17.
If you think there is no need, I guess I will continue using 1.12.
If you're downloading "for transfer via USB", you're NOT using Kindle for PC. I think the earliest suppored version is now 1.14. (I just assumed that I was mistaken about that on Mac, as you said you were still happily using 1.12!)

If you think using Kindle for PC would be easier, yes, upgrade to 1.17.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #84
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're downloading "for transfer via USB", you're NOT using Kindle for PC. I think the earliest suppored version is now 1.14. (I just assumed that I was mistaken about that on Mac, as you said you were still happily using 1.12!)

If you think using Kindle for PC would be easier, yes, upgrade to 1.17.
Ok, thanks a lot!
I was just considering updating (for the future, in case etc...) and then wondering what if I update and there is no option to turn off autoupdate, that's all.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #85
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle for Mac is now up to version 1.20:

Quote:
The latest version of Kindle for Mac, 1.20, includes the following:
  • Two new fonts — We have added Amazon Ember Bold, a heavier font, and OpenDyslexic, a font that readers with dyslexia may prefer. You can select these fonts from the [Aa] menu.
  • Improved ability to search for content in Japanese.
  • Improved reading experience for Manga.
  • Other performance improvements.
The same page indicates that versions as far back as 1.14.0 are still supported.

(I assume that a similar update to Kindle for PC will be coming soon.)

Last edited by jhowell; 03-23-2017 at 11:09 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #86
sososimps
sososimps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus and Mac computer
Any tips for Mac users encountering this problem?

I've just had the 'failed to convert' KFX book. It was the first Amazon book I've downloaded, since I don't have a Kindle. Just have a Nook. And I'm also running a Mac computer, so can't use the old 'download to PC' since I'm not on a PC.
sososimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #87
sososimps
sososimps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus and Mac computer
For Mac users -

Answering my own question. You can download previous Kindle for Mac version via this website: https://teleread.org/2017/01/29/late...ble-azw-files/

And you can cancel auto updates to the software in the Kindle program via Preferences; Updates; uncheck box. I made sure I did that BEFORE I signed in to my account, just to be safe.
sososimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #88
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:

Is that the Kindle app from the Mac Store? I think it's different than Kindle for Mac downloaded directly from Amazon. (And possibly not compatible with Alf's tools?)
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #89
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Is that the Kindle app from the Mac Store? I think it's different than Kindle for Mac downloaded directly from Amazon. (And possibly not compatible with Alf's tools?)
Yes, the app I am using (Kindle for Mac 1.12.4) is the last I downloaded (and maybe updated, don't remember) from Amazon. I just didn't update since then.
The version is no longer supported by Amazon, but I don't use it for downloading books since I use "download and transfer via USB" and clean it directly in Calibre.

I was just wondering that if Amazon somehow disables this option or all files become it might be better to install the last version which is supported and yet doesn't make me download kfx files.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:45 AM   #90
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sososimps View Post
For Mac users -

Answering my own question. You can download previous Kindle for Mac version via this website: https://teleread.org/2017/01/29/late...ble-azw-files/
In the first post of this thread there is a link to the post with link to download Kindle for Mac 1.17.1 directly from Amazon

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc