Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
mket
mket began at the beginning.

Device: Edge
Sharing library on Edge

Hi,
I've read the forum and saw a few people mention they shared the Edge library between two devices.

I have two Entourage Edge (full) updated to latest Ermine (2.2.1), I moved the library (and other info) to SD card on both, but I can't share the library between them (i.e. if I switch the SD card the library from one doesn't work on the other).

Can anyone please share how they did it?

Is it possible just to migrate one library to another (with notes etc.), when I use backup on one it won't let me load it to the other.

appreciate any info

mket.
mket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
mket

ok, as I see no replies, is there a way to do a full nandroid backup?
I'm using PDFs, I don't care about DRM content etc. just want to be able to have a backup for the library (+annotations)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Try using the Local Backup App. I haven't tried it personally but it does have an option to Backup and Restore Library.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
mket

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Try using the Local Backup App. I haven't tried it personally but it does have an option to Backup and Restore Library.
Hi, I'm aware of that but it's only for one device. Thing is there's plenty of things on the Edge which I wonder what will happen to if it died. Way too important for me to lose my notes.
How do I make sure that won't happen?
So I got another (actually another 2 so I won't mess the one with the content). But that's not exactly working because the backup tool only backups the library for a single device. I tried playing around with the database (I've searched this forum through and through) but that didn't work. The SD card swapping isn't working either.

I don't care about DRM content. Mostly PDF articles with notes etc.

A desktop tool would do the job as well (though I couldn't find any).
I just thought the simplest way was to migrate it to another one. If I can do a nandroid backup that would do as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if you backup your library to a USB drive for example using the Local Backup App it won't let you restore it to another eDge using the Local Backup App? It's an Android App and I have two eDges and will play with it later and let you know what I come up with.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
mket

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
So if you backup your library to a USB drive for example using the Local Backup App it won't let you restore it to another eDge using the Local Backup App? It's an Android App and I have two eDges and will play with it later and let you know what I come up with.
Exactly. Would highly appreciate that!
Old 02-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard

OK. So the Local Backup App will not allow you to restore it to another eDge.

My Library is on my full size eDge and I decided to try and move a few files over to my Pocket eDge and here is what I did.

I used a USB drive

- Open the Library

- Open All Content (I could have opened any folder but for the sake of simplicity...)

- Touch the Check Mark on top of the screen and check the files to export and press Export at bottom of the screen to export them to a USB drive

- Press Library at the top of screen and select Storage

- Press and hold USB and selected Unmount

- Plug USB into second eDge

- Open Library

- Press Library at top of the screen and select Storage

- Select USB

- Check the files you want on the eDge and press Add to Library at the bottom of the screen

- Don't forget to Unmount USB before removing

I copied 3 files from my eDge Library to my Pocket eDge Library including a PDF and hand written Journal which opened perfectly on the Pocket eDge. It looks like you may have to check the All Content Folder, press the Check mark at the top of the screen and then check all the files you want to export. If you have a lot of files you may want to export them incrementally.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
mket

thx but it doesn't copy the annotations, only the PDF and I can do that much faster with simple copy paste.

I'm trying to backup all the remarks I made for the article, for all the articles (and there's l-o-t-s of them).

If it were only that simple......
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

I see. While not the best solution you could email them to yourself for safe keeping. I tested this by annotating a PDF and emailing it to myself. All annotations show up on the emailed PDF.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...pdf+annotation

Her are some other suggestions:

Someone may still have the program in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=pdf+word

If someone has it please post a download link.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
mket

I'll definitely try the e-mail thing, I'll update.
The other suggestions are annotations on the LCD, different app, so no good.
Already made my annotations on articles etc. (well over 100).
Old 02-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
mket

How did you e-mail your file? that option is greyed out/disabled when I open the PDF ?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

If the option to Save As PDF or Email as PDF is greyed out just press the annotate icon at the top of the screen and add something as simple as a dot and then check the File menu and then those options should appear. I noticed that it was greyed out on my Test PDF and simply adding a dot brought up the desired menu options. Also, the annotate icon will be missing if the PDF is not added to the library

BTW, I tested handwriting on my Test PDF on the eInk on my Full Size eDge and saved the file as a PDF and exported the file to a USB as I described above and the notes ported over with the PDF to my Pocket eDge. So it is more than just a simple copy and paste.

The second link talks about putting PDFs from the eInk to Dropbox. Not sure if it maintains annotations but from The conversation it appears as if it might. I know canezila is talking about eInk because he references the same thing in the third link.

The third link asks the same question as the second link but your right the response is about using LCD. However, the original post says canezila backs up annotated PDFs by emailing them but is looking for an easier way to back them up using Dropbox.

The last link is about PDFs on the eInk side, not the LCD. It's about exporting annotated PDF and Journals to One Note. From what others say in the post the process works pretty good. Net Framework is readily available but I'm asking if anyone has the file in the second link of the post (PE to .NET ink converter).

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-12-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
mket

Ok, so I managed to do it!

I migrated the library to SD on one device.
Then extracted content from backup (different device) to appropriate folders.
I then swapped the esimeta column in library.db with the new device esimeta using sqlitesudio

It worked, at least on the couple of files I checked.

I'm not sure it will work between the Edge and Pocket-Edge because the difference in screen size, I would think the annotations won't show up right.

Genuinely appreciate all your help @obsessed2 !!!!