Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
No flashing refresh = more battery life?

I just got a Cybook Opus. While playing with it, I noticed an option in the menu to disable the all-black reflashing that happens every time a more-than-minimal change occurs on the screen. Disabling it, I finally figured out why it happens - without a full blank refresh, there's noticeable ghosting from what was on the display previously.

But this got me wondering. E-ink displays eat power only when they change their content, with each changed pixel contributing to the power draw. During a full blank the entire display gets energized so all pixels draw power, but during a non-full-blank page change, only the pixels making up the current text and those making up that of the next page need energy to switch state. Since their number is relatively small compared to that of the entire screen, disabling full-blanking should return quite a dramatical increase in battery life.

Is this theory wrong? I don't particularly mind the ghosting, so if I can significantly increase battery life I'll keep full blanking off.

Thanks
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, disabling the full screen refresh will increase the battery life, but I suspect you'll find that the results (ghosting) will be extremely undesirable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, disabling the full screen refresh will increase the battery life, but I suspect you'll find that the results (ghosting) will be extremely undesirable.
it all depends on your preference and the amount of ghosting.
the new kobo touch comes with a 6 page turn before a refresh (as default - the new update now allows you to control how many pages up to 6 before a refresh )

on my screen if i wasn't looking for the ghosting effect i would never see it, i changed my refresh to be every page to act as my wifi model did. i would charge the wifi model maybe once every 3-4 weeks which in my mind is excellent battery life. i have not charged my kobo touch yet, bought june 10th, so 2 weeks so far and good to go ( refresh was changed 2 days ago with the fw update )

there are many factors that go into battery life, i don't think the refresh has that big of an impact but there may be some.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Fallingwater, if you don't mind the ghosting disabling the screen reflash will not only give you a better battery life (which is very good anyway) but also faster page turns. Read a few books to see what will win for you personally.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not quite.
Today I finished reading a book I'd previously started on my netbook; I kept the full refresh off, and the results were quite good. Not perfect, but I don't really mind the imperfections. As far as I'm concerned, this feature is great
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ok. I remember switching it off on my Opus and finding the ghosting pretty unbearable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I used to have my Onyx Boox set to one full refresh per 9 page turns. Ghosting was not that bad, but at some point I wanted to see what would happen to battery life if I changed this to full refresh every page turn. Actually, I did not notice any change in battery life at all. So I kept the full refresh on, and I'm perfectly happy.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
whats always annoyed me about this feature is that it creates a "block" of ghosting that is actually whiter than the background. which means the background could actually be whiter by default! why do i have this gray background when it could be much more white and give better contrast to the text?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Fallingwater
Enthusiast

I find that each page-turn tends to eliminate part of the ghosting, so it doesn't accumulate - it stays about the same after the second page from the last reflash. As such, reflashing every x pages is unneeded on the Opus.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
My Opus batteryy is more than sufficient. Any attempts to extend battery life seems kinda pointless. I think since Ive had it, the battery died one time.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
whats always annoyed me about this feature is that it creates a "block" of ghosting that is actually whiter than the background. which means the background could actually be whiter by default! why do i have this gray background when it could be much more white and give better contrast to the text?
I have noticed that too!
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
Is this theory wrong? I don't particularly mind the ghosting, so if I can significantly increase battery life I'll keep full blanking off.
No flashing idea.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Since apparent whiteness is context dependent, isn't it possible that the white ghosting is where a black area on the previous page has been erased and the darker background is white on both pages, so it was not erased while the old dark areas were erased and the new black areas written?

But after a full erase, since the whitest possible shade is still a bit dark and there are no slightly darker "white" areas for comparison, it looks the same dingy shade that the unerased light area looked when there was no full erase.

If not, then I am annoyed as well. I have noticed those white lines after a pop up menu goes away on the pocketbook 360.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
But this got me wondering. E-ink displays eat power only when they change their content, with each changed pixel contributing to the power draw... disabling full-blanking should return quite a dramatical increase in battery life.
The main thing you're forgetting is that an E-ink display only uses power to change the content on the screen, but an E-ink device is a lot more than just the display. You may save a little bit of power from what the display draws, but the rest of the electronics are going to be unaffected (CPU... etc).

I think you'll find that the battery life increase, while not zero, will be a lot smaller than you are thinking. Possibly not even noticeable.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote