Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Unhappy Paging Kralik - Tselling & any other FW genius folks, Help ?!

My JB has disappointed me since I got it because it had such awful PDF 'support' and upon visiting the o-fish-ul JB forum and upgrade page I saw that it had been improved.
My fw was 0.33g and I could not go directly to any of the available 0.35 versions - but I found help here finally and got there from 0.34(?).

Bad, bad, bad !!!!!
Result:
Severely unreliable JB and NO WAY BACK. Rowf.
(Even tried getting help from Ectaco and got all manner of inane suggestions from Jerry which of course did not help at all...)

My goals:
Decent PDF access w/ reflow (Foxit's worked well, when it worked !) and TXT file access. Reliably.
That's IT.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Kralik's thread about the Dr. Yi FW (fascinating !)->
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...968#post597968
But my poor/tired jetbook rejected the Chinese firmware updates, sadly.

This thread gave me some hope of resurrecting it though, so:
First I tried the M218A++27firmware.rar and it failed - so thinking it might need the oldest one I tried the M218A++25firmware.rar and IT failed, so just to see if it might work I got the next newer one - M218A++28firmware.rar and that failed instantly.

Just for yuks I decided to try the M218B043firmware.rar (failed) and then M218B044firmware.rar (failed...) all the way up to M218B050firmware.rar - all failed.
(All these came right from http://218.240.9.39/soft . )

I then found Kralik's other thread about putting the Libre FW on the JB and tried that with and without the 'ebook-' on the file...failed.

In sheer desperation to find ANYTHING that works now I searched on -jetbook libre 0.33h- and found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster9 View Post
ok, here's the update,
I contacted both jetbook tech support and Doc.E tech support(jetbook is Doc.E's North America version). They put in version check in 0.34, the reason is when customer try to upgrade their firmware, many of them happen to choose a wrong one(for other model) and brick their device.
So you can not downgrade from 0.34 to lower version. but you can downgrade from any higher version to 0.34(coz version/model check is enforced in those versions already).

The bottom line is if your device is 0.33, you have one time choice to choose which line of firmware you wanna follow. otherwise you are binded to current firmware line. The only hope is some one come up with a crack release.
So just for yuks tried flashing DOWN to 0.34b - and it tells me it failed and I should use FW 0.31 or higher !!!
Also worthy of note is that now my FW upgrade messages are in both english and some Asian language...
Tried 0.34c and got the same exact result ?!

Found the link to Tselling's .34a2, got that - and it worked fine.
But I am still S.O.L. for TXT files - it locks right up.
:h elp:
Please - please - please...Would someone who knows more than I please jump in here and help me to get something which will actually work to do what I normally do on the poor, suffering little JB ?!

mark

PS: Is there any way to sort of -erase- a krapped up JB and just shoot -whatever- version/make of FW into it ?
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
What firmware do you actually want? I am guessing that you would need to modify the 34 or 35 firmware to get rid of the checks.... flash it (that way the current firmware is happy). Then also get rid of the checks in the version you want and flash it.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Talking

Thank you for replying, Tselling !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
What firmware do you actually want? I am guessing that you would need to modify the 34 or 35 firmware to get rid of the checks.... flash it (that way the current firmware is happy). Then also get rid of the checks in the version you want and flash it.
Here's how I see it...I lack knowledge of whether even somehow getting back to 33g would make it work as it once did, failing that though I would be very happy to have one of the older versions with the Foxit re-flow as long as it somehow also did the TXT files without constantly locking up tightly.

I was trying the Chinese ones and others in hopes that something - anything would actually get in there successfully and make it work near as well as it once did. None of them would though and that is why I've asked for help.

You know WAAAAY more about this stuff than I ever will, so if you have any suggestion or thing that you feel would be best and most likely to work I would be very happy to do that.

Thanks !

mark
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Any help or hope here....please ?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
have you tried the newest firmware release or can you not upgrade to it?

it fixes the PDF reflow pretty well.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

I tried 0.35m (the tale of which is in their forum...a disastrous waste of time), 0.35k, some 0.34 versions, and now it is at 0.35a2.

Seems to me that it must have an old h/w revision which makes it barf on newer F/W and there seems to be no way to get it back to the original 0.33g since it is past the impenetrable barrier which is passed when a user installs F/W 0.34 or higher.

I would guess that Ectaco made h/w changes quite silently as time progressed and that there is a limitation of some kind in this one bought more than a year ago and that it may even be a great deal older and I got 'old shelf stock' when I bought it...

If I could somehow magically & completely erase it and at least get the 0.33g F/W into it again then maybe it would become something like the originally somewhat flakey thing it WAS before I 'upgraded' it to get the better PDF support - instead of the 100% totally flakey thing it is NOW.

Thanks.

mark
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I am sorry, but I just don't have time to look at this now... maybe in a couple of weeks if you can wait. There is most likely a way to flash back, but will probably involve flashing a modifed 35x version that removes the checks in that version.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thumbs up Cool !

Thank You Tselling !!!
I am delighted to hear that you will be willing to look into this for me when you have the time, and the poor little JB can have a nice rest while it is waiting for the Dr. to be 'in'.

Aside of being only a tiny bit flakey, the Mentor is serving my needs well enough now.

Best Wishes.

mark

Tags
bricked, chinese, firmware, jetbook, libre