Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
ExoPC and will people consider other options because of DRM constraints

It looks like the windows tablets are starting to show up. Here is one that appears to be quite interesting. I will agree with people that say eInk beats them all for reading. My beef is about being stuck with epub or mobipocket and losing books whenever a manufacture decides to change DRM formats. I want a reader that can hold both formats. A windows version should accomplish this goal. Do people agree DRM constraints are enough to abandond traditional eReaders to a more open format?

Includes a video
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/30/e...late-hands-on/

http://www.exopc.com/en/dev.php
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Saw that the other day, it does look like it has some promise.

I like that they're able to put their own simple UI overtop Windows 7.

Drawback seems to be battery life since the company says 5 hours, and endgadget said probably closer to 3 with WiFi on. Those are way to short, I want more in the 8-10 range. Asus is touting around 10 hours with some of the windows 7 tablets they're introducing, we'll see if they can really hit it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Saw that the other day, it does look like it has some promise.

I like that they're able to put their own simple UI overtop Windows 7.

Drawback seems to be battery life since the company says 5 hours, and endgadget said probably closer to 3 with WiFi on. Those are way to short, I want more in the 8-10 range. Asus is touting around 10 hours with some of the windows 7 tablets they're introducing, we'll see if they can really hit it.
I agree the battery life is an issue. I am excited to see we may finally have window versions of the tablet. My goal is to have mobipocket installed on it. If I need epub I hope that will also be an option. I believe we will be less likely to lose our libraries with a Windows tablet.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Not that I like DRM, but it isn't really stopping us from format shifting or making backup copies. Yes, it would be great if it just went away. But no, it is not in the cards for now, at least.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Yeah... the battery issue. I also don't like the sound of that. Especially with the natural degradation of the battery and the innate need of such a device to be 90% portable unlike laptops which can sit on your office or at home.

But I really tend to other iPad alternatives as I've heard that the office apps a) are not free (which adds 30 dollars/euros to the price), b) the conversion to MS office is buggy and c) the others have... other things (usb ports, camera, flash, etc.). So.. I am torn and don't know what to get. Not that there's anything out right now besides the female hygiene product.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Again, eBook lending is fine with DRM. And an eBook rental service with DRM would be great.

If Publishers insist on DRM, then they should move to a rental model. We can't lend or resell eBooks anyway. There is limited value in "owning" an eBook unless it is used for reference or as a textbook.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
timezone
Addict

I lost a few DRM books because Fictionwise had an issue with a publisher. When I got a new reader I could not transfer the books. I have an iRex1000 and they are moving to ePub. If I upgrade I lose my Moobipocket books. Ok, don't upgrade you say. If I stay with them and purchase the color reader which will be out within the year then I will definitely be forced to move to epub. The reason for considering a Windows tablet is to be able to not deal with the mobipocket/ePub issues.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I am certainly interested in this device and will likely purchase one as soon as it becomes available. And since it runs Windows 7 you should be able to format shift on the device itself (and remove any DRM infections). I admit that 5 hours of battery life is not really what I was hoping for, 8 would be much better.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote