Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Anyone having battery life issues w/ K2?

Got my K2 in March 2009. Within the last 3 weeks my battery charge life has fallen from the advertised lengths to just 2 - 3 days. Whispernet is always off unless I need it & then I shut it back off. I get battery discharge even when I shut off the K2, not just in stand-by. SW is 2.3.3. Never abused, and I read frequently. Didn't buy the extended warranty.

Newpower99 has replacement batteries & a video that shows how easy it is to change. Anyone used these guys?
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I've only had my Kindle2 international since January, and I've yet to have problems with the battery.

I would call customer service... I've heard they're very good.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have an original K2 and the battery lasts 5 days with the Whispernet always on. Call Amazon CS.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratflinger View Post
Newpower99 has replacement batteries & a video that shows how easy it is to change. Anyone used these guys?
Hey, that's a great site. I watched the video, and is is much easier than I would have thought. I had supposed Amazon had soldered in the thing.

Why the heck didn't Amazon just put an opening over the battery so the user could change it, rather than having to send it in?

This site should be listed in a Sticky.

Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked the site just in case I might need it.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Hey, that's a great site. I watched the video, and is is much easier than I would have thought. I had supposed Amazon had soldered in the thing.

Why the heck didn't Amazon just put an opening over the battery so the user could change it, rather than having to send it in?

This site should be listed in a Sticky.

Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked the site just in case I might need it.
I think it's in the "Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have" sticky.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Before you call CS:

If you've downloaded any books during that time or if the Kindle gone through a reset, it may be stuck indexing, which will drain the battery exceptionally quickly. Run a search for a word (most people pick something uncommon) and check the results. If you have a book or several that aren't indexing correctly, they'll show under the results as Not Yet Indexed.

At that point, you have two options:

Plug the Kindle in, turn wireless on, and leave it alone for a few hours. Indexing works best if the Kindle isn't trying to split resources between that and reading. It also seems to go faster when it has a connection to the mothership, so turning wireless on helps.

or

Delete the books that have not yet indexed. There may be an issue with the actual book files. Try redownloading them and see if they index this time. If not, then contact CS.

Good luck!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
timothevs
timothevs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I got my Kindle on March 31. I charged it fully that day and have it on since then, without Whispernet. Still 50% of the battery is left. It is pretty amazing IMO. I would definitely recommend giving Amazon Reps a call.
Cheers.
timothevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
jpretguy
jpretguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have had my K2 and DX since Dec 09 and read at least six hours a day. I get 7 to 10 days on each charge with the wispernet off. Call Amazon CSR.
jpretguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 & iPhone
I got my K2 in mid-January and we're experiencing the same problem. I'll delete and re-download the books we've purchased.

FWIW, our K2 was going from a full battery to dead in about a day or two with little to no use and whispernet turned off.
ShadowAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Since my K2 is out of warranty I decided to change the battery myself instead of shipping it to Amazon & paying $59. Battery was $24 & should be here by the end of the week.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

FWIW, my K2 is a little over a year old and I get about 2 weeks on a charge. Whispernet is almost always off, I only turn it on for specific downloads.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I have to echo a couple of posts here. I have had my Kindle 2 since Feb 08 and use it daily. The only time I use the Whispernet is to download books and check sports scores on the web, otherwise it is off. My battery seems to be performing at the same level when it was new, about 10-14 days in between charges.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
ratflinger
Enthusiast

New battery arrived. Replacement was as easy as it looked in the video. Charged the battery and now battery life is acting normal. Long term remains to be seen but after a couple of days standby the old battery would show drain. New one shows none. Suppose it's just the luck of the battery you received. My battery was probably made the first day back after a Chinese New Year party.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Somehow mine started acting up but i got the battery wet, which was my fault, do ask, its a touchy subject
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I tend to get low battery, but only because I don't charge it up... With my palm I routinely put it on charge every single night, but I don't do that with my kindle... I don't have a routine charging it, which might cause me problems in the future.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote