Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Attached Leather Cover for the 900

I've watched a few YouTube videos of the 900 with the attached leather cover. What I can't tell is whether or not the cover stays open (like a book cover) or does it just flop back and fold onto itself. I know it can fold back all the way but can it stay open like a traditional cover, giving it a book like look. Also, is anyone able to use a book light with the leather cover? I'm not interested in the Sony cover/light combo for $59.

I posted in another thread that I returned the 600 I received a couple of days ago because of dust between the screens. I'm awaiting a replacement and the idle time had me thinking about the readability of the screen. I originally placed an order for a 900 but canceled when I found the 600 for $163 less. I thought the features of the 900 weren't worth the extra bucks (didn't try one hands on). Today I made the trip to the Sony Style store 35 miles away just to confirm that I made the right choice. I was quite surprised to see that the 900 is much more readable than the 600, although it is basically the same dark grey, and the extra screen real estate really makes a notable difference. So, I'm placing another order for the 900 and will be requesting a refund instead of a replacement for the 600.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I've watched a few YouTube videos of the 900 with the attached leather cover. What I can't tell is whether or not the cover stays open (like a book cover) or does it just flop back and fold onto itself. I know it can fold back all the way but can it stay open like a traditional cover, giving it a book like look. Also, is anyone able to use a book light with the leather cover? I'm not interested in the Sony cover/light combo for $59.

I posted in another thread that I returned the 600 I received a couple of days ago because of dust between the screens. I'm awaiting a replacement and the idle time had me thinking about the readability of the screen. I originally placed an order for a 900 but canceled when I found the 600 for $163 less. I thought the features of the 900 weren't worth the extra bucks (didn't try one hands on). Today I made the trip to the Sony Style store 35 miles away just to confirm that I made the right choice. I was quite surprised to see that the 900 is much more readable than the 600, although it is basically the same dark grey, and the extra screen real estate really makes a notable difference. So, I'm placing another order for the 900 and will be requesting a refund instead of a replacement for the 600.
It's like the other Sony covers:
- It can stay open like an opened book.
- You can fold it behind the reader for single-hand-reading (although I'd never do that. Don't do that with paper books either.)
- When you close the cover, it's fixed by magnets, so it won't open easily when transporting.

I'm using the cover/light combo for Sony 600. Have considered it for Sony 900 as well but decided against it. Love the economics too much to add even a single inch.
Don't really have the need for a booklight, as readability is fine, slightly better than with Sony 600, close to Sony 505.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thank you. Every bit of detail helps!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Hard Cover Best

Dump the soft, leather cover and only use the Hard Cover. Use it in Landscape Mode and keep the PRS 900 on all day with shut down mode at night.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote