Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
BooksonBoard purchase won't convert. Help please?!

I have been downloading books all over the place, and converting them to AZW with kindlefix.py. So I thought no problem, I would buy a book last night at BOB. Well, I saw that when I listed the PID for my kindle, it omitted the *. Stupid me pressed buy, anyway. Is there any way to get this on my kindle? I can read it on my computer, but what fun is that?

Thanks to anyone who can help, and I am a computer novice. I was able to get kindlefix and mobi2mobi, but that is about it. I tried mobi2mobi GUI last night, and only succeeded in converting the prc file to a mobi file. I am going to fool around with some other settings, but am not hopeful.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only solution you have is to find a version of MobiDeDRM.py that will work to remove the DRm from that eBook. Then without the DRM, you can view it on your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. A googling I go!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you have found, kindlefix only works with OverDrive Secure MOBIs and BoB sells both OverDrive and MobiPocket Secure MOBIs.

You should be able to completely strip the DRM using mobidedrm, which is a Python script that is used similarly to kindlefix (but with an additional argument). Also, use your PC's PID (it typically contains a $).

Obviously, since mobidedrm strips DRM it has a different legal status than kindlefix. However, doing this for personal use on ebooks you bought harms no one.

The best place to start to look for copies of the MobiDeDRM python script is in the responses to DarkReverser's Weblog. Since 0.05 just came out, start with the most recent responses. The Dark Reverser originally posted the python script (source code) to pastebin.com, it gets deleted from there periodically but if you find it there the download is .txt which needs to be renamed .py.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Ok,thanks. Let's say someone copies 185 lines of code from a page. I need to paste it where?

Thank you! I was up until 2 lastnight, trying to figure this out!
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Please Wallcraft? I have read all your excellant postings in Okay, Seriously Confused about Mobidedrm. But I'm still confused!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Ok,thanks. Let's say someone copies 185 lines of code from a page. I need to paste it where?
You could open up Notepad, paste the text there, and save it as something like MobiDeDRM05.py.

Then save it in your python "scripts" folder.

I see you've read some of the other threads on this script, so I won't go into what to do with once you have it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I am so close I can almost taste it!! Here is what I get

Error: Invalid PID checksum I used both my kindle pid (which BOB won't recognize) and my computer PID, which is how I downloaded it in the first place.

Any ideas? Please?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I DID IT!!!! I had to play around a little, but I converted the mobi version (did that about 2 last night with Mobi2mobi GUI) using nothing special. mobidedrm4.py bookname.mobi revbookname.azw [PC's PID, no quotes, no nothing. Maybe took 15 seconds after I finally got it! Thank you everyone. This is a very helpful board, and I have learned a lot all over. Debra