Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #61
Navyboy
Navyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Okay, here's some other things I've noticed that are not happening
with the Newlister install.

After the newlister appears to install - green light flashes for a few seconds and screen refreshes - I don't get to see the success icon in the recent documents listing (as it is displayed on the screenshots at the head of this thread, where the download files are). The one with the big tick and which says "installed successfully" against it. That's a big hint that things are not working correctly. Also, I can't find any hint of the "Install_Log" that you folk are happily talking about and attatching to your posts. Where is it supposed to be written to? the CF or MMC card that the unzipped installer files were on? If so, I dont have it there - and that is another big hint that things have not worked properly.

Also, the Installer and Reboot files are appearing in the recent documents list, and I thought the scripts were supposed to be edited now so that that would not happen. But it still is apparently. On my machine, anyway.

What is going on here (or not, as the case may be)?? Help!

Navyboy
Navyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #62
Navyboy

Okay hansel,

I'm hanging in there - sort of.
See my latest post - we must have been busily typing away at same time
or almost, and they crossed.

Navyboy
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #63
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Navyboy,

Here is the test: create a file named check.sh and copy it to the documents folder on your memory card. The file should contain the following two lines:
Code:
export scriptdir=`/usr/bin/dirname $0`
date > $scriptdir/check.txt
Insert the card in the iliad and click on check.sh: It should create a file named check.txt (in the same directory as check.sh)with the current date in it. If this does not work, then your 'development package' has not been installed successfully. More info can be found here:
http://blog.adamrb.com/2007/12/so-yo...3rd-party.html
If the check works we'll have to do additional tests...

Good luck!
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #64
Navyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Navyboy,

Here is the test: create a file named check.sh and copy it to the documents folder on your memory card. The file should contain the following two lines:
Code:
export scriptdir=`/usr/bin/dirname $0`
date > $scriptdir/check.txt
Insert the card in the iliad and click on check.sh: It should create a file named check.txt (in the same directory as check.sh)with the current date in it. If this does not work, then your 'development package' has not been installed successfully. More info can be found here:
http://blog.adamrb.com/2007/12/so-yo...3rd-party.html
If the check works we'll have to do additional tests...

Good luck!
Hello hansel,

Well, that didn't work - it seemed to, as the green light flashed on and off a few times, and the screen refreshed - but no file named check.txt is to be seen in the same directory as check.sh was in. I even went out of the folder and came back in, just to make sure, but check.sh was the only file in there.

Now where do we go from here? I've had a look at that blog file at adamrb.com - scary stuff. It looks to me that the developer file downloaded from Irex hasn't work as advertised - but I have seen it written somewhere that to try downloading it and installing it again - which is automatic anyway (the installing part) - could leave the Iliad unworkable. I don't really want that to happen. So what can we do now?

And what was that bit Haven was talking about back in #53 where he said to
type in the name of the file in the code line that started the content lister? He showed that line of text but didn't give the file name that was supposed to go in there, I don't think? It didn't seem to be a complete example? Is maybe that a workaround for my situation?

Cheers,

Navyboy
Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #65
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Hi Navyboy,

Your only hope is to get the developer package working: that's what gives you the ability to run shell scripts. Everything else (installing, configuring and running programs) depends on it. It's useless to edit scripts if you cannot run them. As far as I know, it cannot hurt you to retry installing it. Recheck all the steps, maybe something went wrong the first time... Are you sure you went trough all the steps described in the Adam's post?

I wish you all the best!
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #66
Navyboy

Hansel,

Just to confuse things even more, I downloaded that mrxvt file and unzipped
it to my CF card and loaded it onto the Iliad, and guess what - it worked!
I had a working terminal window on my Iliad screen - albeit a very slow one,
and it didn't like the stylus picking out the letters "exit" too much. I ended
up with something like "exxitti" on the screen! thank goodness the x in the
corner worked like the author said it would!

So, where does that leave us now?? Curiouser and curiouser, eh?

Cheers,
Navyboy
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #67
Navyboy

Darn, crossed replies, again!

Navyboy
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #68
Navyboy

Ta - Da!! And the winner is....(Drumroll.....) Meeeee!!!

I got it to work! I got it to work!! It works!!!

Now, to do this I did three things - I took out the mmx card, just in
case the machine was getting itself confused.

I downloaded 7zip and used it instead of Winzip 12 to unzip the bin file.

Then I recopied everything back onto the CF card - using exactly the
same file names as what they were all unzipped too, and not a custom
one as I had been, as it suddenly
occurred to me that maybe the prog might be looking for a particular
file name in a particular place! (yeh, yeh, programming 101, I know. Duh!)

So, which one do you think worked best??????

Anyway, it is working now as advertised - perfectly. I think I am
going to retire from this thread now, and keep my head down.
Very, very low.

thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Navyboy
Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #69
hansel
JSR FFD2

Navyboy: congratulations!

I'm tired of guessing what might have gone wrong, and I don't want to know what you did to those poor files , but I'm happy it all worked out in the end
Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #70
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I finally got to install this! What a pleasure to be able to have a reasonable number of items per screen.

Also, I found this link in an old thread, and thought it might be helpful for those who want to contribute more suggestions for improving the Content Lister:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Improved_contentLister
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #71
hansel
JSR FFD2

newLister 1.0.5

NewLister 1.0.5: Minor update to ease the 'Iliad OS'. No need to upgrade.
Files are in first post of this thread.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #72
JamesT
JamesT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Brilliant..worked first time. I have set to 20 items.
Many thanks
JamesT
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #73
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
HI,
anybody knows where is the config for root menu (which shows list of iLiad Settins/iLiad Profiles/Reference Materials/...CF Card/MMC Card/USB/Main Memory)? I want to add a menuitem for certain file so that I can easily access without traversing the directory.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #74
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
HI,
anybody knows where is the config for root menu (which shows list of iLiad Settins/iLiad Profiles/Reference Materials/...CF Card/MMC Card/USB/Main Memory)?
Some info is in the registry, lots of stuff is hard coded all over the place: not nice at all if you want to extend it...
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #75
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Take a look at /usr/share/contentlister/mode/XX where XX is one of en, de, fr or nl, depending on your language.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contenlister, development, iliad, newlister