Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
117 crashes due to output format combo box

I really like the new Output format combo box - it is a really useful feature. However I get regular crashes when I focus onto the control. I'm trying to get a good repro but have yet to find a definite pattern.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Odd, are you running jobs when you do it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am also finding that feature useful.

However I am not experiencing any issues when I select the Combo box whether or not I am running jobs. I am running on XP SP3 in case that matters.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been running jobs, but I've just tried it again and can't repro it. Is the combo meant to have a tool tip? Because I don't get one and I wonder if it is to do with that?

I'm on XP SP3 too (should have mentioned it before).

Last edited by ShellShock; 12-19-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it doesn't have a tooltip, so to be clear are you seeing crashes when you are running jobs or when you aren't or both? Try running calibre from the commandline with

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()"

ans see if there is any useful informaion output to the terminal after a crash
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard

OK, this is my reliable repro:

Not running any jobs.

From the "Convert E-books" toolbar button, select the "Select defaults for conversion", click OK on the "Set conversion defaults" dialog, go to the Output combo and change the output format.

Repeat all the above. This crashes every time the second time I mouse over the combo box.

With the debug mode I got:

"link hasn't been detected!".

I ran calibre again without debug, and when it crashed I got an unhandled exception:

Code:
..\Objects\classobject.c:2230: bad argument to internal function
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\jobs.pyo", line 54, in update_running_time
SystemError: ..\Objects\classobject.c:2230: bad argument to internal function
I thought I would attach a crash dump here but Windows has got a lock on the dmp file so I can't copy it!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard

While I have been playing around with the output format, I wonder as an enhancement, if it could be used to determine which format gets sent to the device? At the moment if I have both LRF and EPUB, then the LRF always gets sent to the device. The View button allows you to choose what format to view, but I can see how this is not really sensible for the Send button because all the existing send options would have to be doubled up.

The output combo wouldn't just control the output format, but also the primary format you are targetting, e.g., for viewing, sending etc.

I guess this is getting into re-design territory; at the moment the ebook is the first level item in calibre, whereas with the increasing number of formats and conversions it is supporting, then perhaps the first level item should be a particular format within an ebook. Then we could do things like convert from one arbitrary format to another (assuming the conversion was supported). So things like any2lit would be supported in the UI straight off.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The output combo does control everything except the preference order for books sent to the device.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
OK, this is my reliable repro:

Not running any jobs.

From the "Convert E-books" toolbar button, select the "Select defaults for conversion", click OK on the "Set conversion defaults" dialog, go to the Output combo and change the output format.

Repeat all the above. This crashes every time the second time I mouse over the combo box.

With the debug mode I got:

"link hasn't been detected!".

I ran calibre again without debug, and when it crashed I got an unhandled exception:

Code:
..\Objects\classobject.c:2230: bad argument to internal function
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\jobs.pyo", line 54, in update_running_time
SystemError: ..\Objects\classobject.c:2230: bad argument to internal function
I thought I would attach a crash dump here but Windows has got a lock on the dmp file so I can't copy it!
Works for me on linux, unfortunately, I'm travelling and dont have access to a windows box, so can someone check this on windows
Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the exact sequence given it also crashes for me on XP SP3 the second time around.

It must be something to do with the fact you have gone to the Conversion Defaults dialog, as I had not been using that earlier and had been changing formats via the Combo box without any issues.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK can one of you open a ticket, I'll look at it when I return from my travels
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

Ticket raised.

Enjoy your travels