Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
page headers/footers

Does anyone know an easy/efficient way to delete the headers/footers found repetitively on some book pages such as the author name/book title and page numbers?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Search and replace?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Search and replace?
I've tried that, but can't figure out how to do the "changing" page numbers.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I've tried that, but can't figure out how to do the "changing" page numbers.
Most tools allow you to use a regular expression in your search. So you could put a wild card in for the page number.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most tools allow you to use a regular expression in your search. So you could put a wild card in for the page number.

BOb
OK, I'm not trying to be dense, but would appreciate a specific example. I use MS Word. Suppose that each page has a header with incremental page numbers and author's name. for example:

1 John Smith
2 John Smith
3 John Smith

and so forth...

I don't really know how to create the expression I need. I can certainly replace all the John Smith(s). But can't think of an efficient way to remove the incremental page numbers, even with wildcards. I can't seem to figure out how to write the required expression.
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1 John Smith
2 John Smith
3 John Smith

and so forth...

I don't really know how to create the expression I need.
I'm not wizard with regex myself. But try this:

[0-9]*\sJohn\sSmith

BOb
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
I'm not wizard with regex myself. But try this:

[0-9]*\sJohn\sSmith

BOb
Tried that and all the variations I could think of but it did not work. I'm using MS Word.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Tried that and all the variations I could think of but it did not work. I'm using MS Word.
Ok... so every regex implementation is a bit different.

Use:

[0-9]* John Smith

Apparently word doesn't like the \s for blank space.. you can just type the blank space. Also, make sure you click on the "Use wildcards" checkbox. You might have to click the "More" button to see it.

This basically means find any character between 0-9. The asterisk means find one or more. So this will match

1 John Smith

and

10 John Smith

Of course the J means match a J the o means match o etc. I tested this regex on a document that contains:

1 John Smith
2 John Smith
32 John Smith

And it worked. (Windows and Mac version of Word)

See this topic for some info.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...873051033.aspx

BOb
Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:

Use:

[0-9]* John Smith

Apparently word doesn't like the \s for blank space.. you can just type the blank space. Also, make sure you click on the "Use wildcards" checkbox. You might have to click the "More" button to see it.

This basically means find any character between 0-9. The asterisk means find one or more. So this will match

1 John Smith

and

10 John Smith

Of course the J means match a J the o means match o etc. I tested this regex on a document that contains:

1 John Smith
2 John Smith
32 John Smith

BOb
Very good. I'll try this tonight. Based on you being in AZ and me in FL, I'm asleep right now.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've decided that headers/footers in eBooks are useless. What they do is take up space on the screen and give us less lines per screen and what they does is cause more page turns per book and that causes more battery usage. So we end up with having to charge more often.

As for headers, we should know what book we are reading and as for footers, it's just not worth it. Plus, I find they don't look all that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I
As for headers, we should know what book we are reading and as for footers, it's just not worth it. Plus, I find they don't look all that good.
Why should you know what book you are reading? The way you learn the title of a paper book is that you see it each time you pick up the book. I definitely need headers to get this functionality for E-books. Still I have noticed that I do not learn the title of the ebooks I read as well as for paper books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Very good. I'll try this tonight. Based on you being in AZ and me in FL, I'm asleep right now.
Did you get this backwards? I am in Tampa, FL. Your profile doesn't have a location on it.

BOb
Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Did you get this backwards? I am in Tampa, FL. Your profile doesn't have a location on it.

BOb
Oops, me bad. I guess a quick peek at Tampa and I saw "Tempe." Sorry 'bout that. Will test your suggestion later today.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:

Use:

[0-9]* John Smith

1 John Smith

and

10 John Smith

1 John Smith
2 John Smith
32 John Smith

BOb
OK, I played with it a bit. But it didn't work well. I found that it would find the instances of "nn John Smith" where "nn" is the page number, but it actually "found" ALL the text prior to the page number until it found another number in the preceding paragraph. Obviously, in some cases it was finding and replacing many lines of text. This is very puzzling, but I feel like I am making some headway...
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I played with it a bit. But it didn't work well. I found that it would find the instances of "nn John Smith" where "nn" is the page number, but it actually "found" ALL the text prior to the page number until it found another number in the preceding paragraph. Obviously, in some cases it was finding and replacing many lines of text. This is very puzzling, but I feel like I am making some headway...
Yes, you have to be careful with regular expression. Sometimes they will match stuff you didn't expect. You can also put a ^ at the beginning of the expression and that tells it to only match the expression when it starts with it on a line. That may work better since I assume the footers are all on their own line.

I use a free tool called "The regulator" to write and test my regexs. However, as you have found the word syntax is a bit relaxed vs the parser that the regulator uses.

I would just say click on Find Next all the way through to be sure it is matching what you want before you go crazy.

BOb