Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Piers
Piers began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Kindle Fire 8 HD

I am thinking of buying a Kobo Fire 8, but living in the Netherlands means I do not have a an opportunity to try it out somewhere. So I hope you don't mind me asking maybe some very obvious questions.

My first question is about the voices in text to speech. Do I undertstand correctly that Amazon now uses Ivona voices? Which are installed. Can I buy new voices and install them myself (mostly interested in Amy).

My second question is about reading pdfs on this device. What is the average experience? Are there negative things I should take into account?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Piers; 06-02-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
I am thinking of buying a Kobo Fire 8, but living in the Netherlands means I do not have a an opportunity to try it out somewhere. So I hope you don't mind me asking maybe some very obvious questions.

My first question is about the voices in text to speech. Do I undertstand correctly that Amazon now uses Ivona voices? Which are installed. Can I buy new voices and install them myself (mostly interested in Amy).

My second question is about reading pdfs on this device. What is the average experience? Are there negative things I should take into account?

Thanks!!
Kobo and Fire8 are not one and the same. The Fire 8 is sold by Amazon is a nice color tablet. I have owned one since December and it is a great tablet, PDF's look really good, I do not think you can change or buy new voices. I own almost every Kindle tablet and the 8 HD is my favorite size, I own a 32 GB model. The 7" seems to run out of memory even though you can add a memory card, and the 10 HD just seems to big.
I don't know Amazon's policy in the Netherlands but try it I think you will love it...here in the States you can return after 30 days if not satisfied.
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have the first generation Fire HD 8. I hardly ever use it. I find it to be super slow.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo is a company in Canada. They also sell tablets but no clue what they are called.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
Piers

Sorry I mixed up two readers. I have a Kobo Arc with problems (and posted a message about that). I am thinking of buying a Kindle Fire 8 (2016) to replace my Kobo Arc.
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
There is a Kindle Fire 8 HD (2017) version coming out on June 7.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Fire tablets have 7 different English voices you can download and choose from, and 3 in Dutch. And at least 42 overall (in around 20 languages total). My Fire HD6 does not let you set Dutch as UI language, but perhaps newer ones do.

As for PDF, you can use the Kindle app or any of several third party apps (Adobe Reader, EZPDF, etc., at least in US Appstore).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Sorry I mixed up two readers. I have a Kobo Arc with problems (and posted a message about that). I am thinking of buying a Kindle Fire 8 (2016) to replace my Kobo Arc.
I thought your auto fill had kicked in. It happens.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Fire 8 HD
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #10
Piers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
There is a Kindle Fire 8 HD (2017) version coming out on June 7.
Thanks for alerting me to this!!! The shop I want to buy from, Argos, still advertises the Kindle 8 HD 2016. As the Kindle tablets are not for sale in the Netherlands I thought I could buy it from them while I stay in Oxford for a work related matter at the end of the month.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not buy from Amazon?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
Piers

I didn't know Amazion worked with pickup points as well, but have found out they do. So yes, I'm going to buy directly from Amazon.