Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
free/cheap ebooks for 12 year old boy?

Hi, I just bought my nephew a Nook tablet. He's gotten started reading with Hunger Games, Star Wars, Harry Potter. I think he prefers sci fi and comics.

Can you recommend some titles that will keep him happy for a little while?

(I know about Cory Doctorow, etc).

As a general rule, I'm willing to spend no more than $5 for a title -- more or less.

Better yet would be a blog about YA or young sci fi fiction. The problem -- and don't we all know it -- is that many of the "classic" authors have only recently been converted into ebooks, most of whom are selling at 9$ and up... Which is silly, because older paperbacks of these titles still are around for 2 or 3 dollars.

I'll throw around some titles which I know would be good:

Mortal Ghosts http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/120
Machine of Death anthology http://machineofdeath.net/about/book (kind of gruesome, but thought-provoking).

Thanks for your help.

Robert

PS. Here's a link to the index of all the ebook recommendation threads. Really useful!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135136

Last edited by rjnagle; 05-01-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added link to MR recommendation threads.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
How about some public domain stuff? (downloadable from the library here at MobileRead, at Feedbooks, Manybooks, Gutenberg, etc. for free)...

Treasure Island
The Swiss Family Robinson
Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea
Etc...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Try The Books of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, and The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Try The Books of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, and The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
Rick Riordan's books are a lot of fun, I second the recommendation.

George Orwell's 1984 was one of my favourites when I was 12 or 13, it's in the public domain outside of the U.S.

Here's a link to an MR version:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83996

Brandon Sanderson offers Warbreaker for free on his site:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 05-01-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Also, check the library.

Is he in Houston where you are? The Houston area library has about 11,000 ebook titles (didn't check to see what they have) for checkout in Adobe DRM'd ePub which will work with his Nook.
http://hadc.lib.overdrive.com

If he's not in Houston, check his local library to see if they offer ebooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a couple of thoughts.. if he doesn't mind older Science Fiction, a large part of H. Beam Piper's Science Fiction is in the Public Domain. Also, for newer SF, make sure you check out the Baen Free Library and the fifth imperium (not all of the books are appropriate for a 12 year old, so you might want to review them first). Also, Ender's Game seems to be popular with a lot of people who have read the Hunger Games and B&N sell it for $6... so that should be pretty standard.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I really enjoyed the Rats, Bats and Vats by Dave Freer and Eric Flint at the Baen free library and The Rats, the Bats and the Ugly. I really don't remember anything about the sex/violence content - sorry.

How about some not as well-known in the general public books? Most of the middle school and high school kids I know are reading the Hunger Games either for school reports or on their own. I've read some of the below a long while ago or saw posts about them on MR. I don't remember what the sex/violence content is (if any) in any of these. Jeffrey Carver is a well-known author also. These books may be at other sites but I listed mostly those that are free at feedbooks and smashwords for you to check them out. Most of the below authors have been on MR. Some may have the freebies on their own sites with updated versions.

Since you already mentioned Mortal Ghosts, the author also has Corvus by L. Lee Lowe

Feedbooks also has the below:

Delver Magic Book I: Sanctum's Breach by Jeff Inlo

Living History by Ben Essex

Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A. Carver also at smashwords plus ePub version on MR

Also some books at smashwords:

Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I by Tracy Falbe also free at her site

Galaxy of Heroes by Gus Flory

Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1: Into the Abyss by Kevis Hendrickson

We also have MR authors that post in the Promotions forum about their YA books.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And there's always The Fifth Imperium. Full *legal* CDs from Baen (though it would be nice if you went ahead and purchased a few of these books to help support a great publisher).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Riyria revelations are a fun series that your nephew might like as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Tarzan? John Carter Mars books? A lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs is public domain.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I would suggest 'The Witches of Karres' by James Schmitz at Baen. A lot of his books are free at Baen, and while this one is $5, it is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi novels. It is from the 1960s and in some regards feels dated, but it is still a magical read. The people at Baen love it so much, they have done two sequels using their stable of writer/editors, neither of which hold a candle to the original. And it is entirely appropriate for a 12-year-old, no foul language and no sex. It is simply fun.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
it all depends on his attention span but i really liked classic horror/sci-fi at that age i.e. frankenstein and most of h.g. wells output.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
All excellent titles (and thanks for reminding me about Baen; their compilations look very interesting). Not only did I buy 'The Witches of Karres' ( http://www.baenebooks.com/p-468-the-...of-karres.aspx ) but I've started reading it myself.

I'll throw out two more titles. First, Robert Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky (which is an expensive 7.99 ebook, drats). (promotion edited).

Sorry, I just thought of another amazing title and author. Barry Yourgrau writes these amazing and fantastic short stories, some of which are targeted at teens. All the collections are basically the same, although a few have a bit of sexual content.

For young teens I recommend Barry Yourgrau who writes experimental surreal flash fiction, sometimes with a grotesque twist. Some of his stuff is more for adults (Man Jumps out of an airplane, sadness of sex), but his other titles (especially The Nasty Book) are especially for young boys (with lots of Adams Family kind of humor).

Last edited by dreams; 05-03-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: removed promotion - moderator
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Does anyone know whether or not the William Campbell Gault and Jim Kjelgaard books are in the public domain or are available as ebooks? Those would be good for a 12 year old. Tunnel in the Sky is certainly one of my favorites
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
William Campbell Gault's mystery/crime thrillers have just been brought out by Prologue Books in reprints. A couple of his works are public domain in the US via Project Gutenberg.

There's actually one currently free @ Amazon & B&N as a week-long promo in the Deals forum, and there was a really big sale on some others over the weekend.

Only some of Jim Kjelgaard's works are public domain in the US. His entire catalogue is PD in Canada due to Life+50, though.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote