Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #526
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. The Kindle 4 has firmware v4; the Kindle 3 has firmware v3.

Once a new generation is released, the older generation gets put on a "care and maintenance" footing; you get bug fixes, but rarely if ever do you get new features.
There's one thing the k4 has that I want: 3 line mini dictionary. I don't see why the k3 can't have that.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #527
jswinden
Nameless Being

How to use Picture Viewer:
This works like the K3. Create your pictures. Place the pictures in a compressed ZIP file. Copy the compressed ZIP file to the K4's documents folder. The compressed ZIP file now displays as a book by the same name but when opened displays your pictures. Pictures need to be smaller than 600 x 800 pixels though. I tested with 520 x 640 and that size worked well.

I attached a screen capture of Picture Viewer.

I placed this in the Tips thread.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-30844.gif
Views:	181
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	77391  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #528
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Almost bought a K3 today... but they only had 3g models in stock and wasn't going to pay an extra $50 just for that. Now, do i go ahead and get a K3 tomorrow or resist and get a K4. The advantage to a K3 is I can buy it in Australia and if something is wrong with it just take it back to the store. But they don't have the K4's here yet...
Laura I'd go with the K4 as I know the device you are upgrading from and I think you would like it more then the K3. I love my K3 but it has some weight on it when the PP feels like it weighs nothing so the K4 only feels a tiny bit more heavier then the PP. Even though they do weigh the same it's made of different casing. It's also tiny like the PP as the K3 is alot bigger and not so easy to put in your pocket.

However the K3 has bigger storage and longer battery life though I noticed on my K4 that I have WiFi on and unlike my K3 the battery has not change. I know on the K3 if I leave WiFi on my battery last with no reading 7 days and if I leave on and reading maybe 5 days but with it off it lasts 3 weeks with heavy reading. They say it's only the 3G model that has this problem which another reason I went with WiFi on the Touch if I ever get it.

The K3 does not currently support the personal cloud storage retrieval until firmware 3.3 rolls out. The K4 does so immediately. So you got that 5GB of extra space to store your books already available to you.

The K4 is easier to navigate because the 5-way is in the middle. I know the keyboard is not an issue because the PP keyboard is so hard to use the K4's will seem like a dream.

However there is no audio on the K4 at all it's only a basic reader so if use the MP3 player or TTS on the PP you may want to think about the K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #529
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The K4 is easier to navigate because the 5-way is in the middle.
YES! Being left-handed the right-side position of the 5-way controller on the K3 made one-handed use of it basically impossible. Placing it in the neutral position of dead centered on the K4 has made it much more accessible to me.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #530
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Once a new generation is released, the older generation gets put on a "care and maintenance" footing; you get bug fixes, but rarely if ever do you get new features.
What?!? No X-Ray for K3 owners?

Maybe they'll give us Gamma Ray
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #531
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
YES! Being left-handed the right-side position of the 5-way controller on the K3 made one-handed use of it basically impossible. Placing it in the neutral position of dead centered on the K4 has made it much more accessible to me.
I'm a lefty too! Though I use my right hand for the mouse and for cutting things with scissors. The new placement is awesome for me. and best of all they moved the back button away from the 5-way! I can't tell how many times I hit the back instead of the 5-way on my K3 and growled at it.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #532
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

UPS was just here and delivered my replacement. Is new of course.

The screen while it is still gray, it's a light gray and does not have a gray cast to it and that makes a world of difference! It's still not as good as my K3 screen but the text looks black enough for me to be happy with it. I put the two K4s side by side and you can definitely tell a difference.

No white lines after moving the menu selector down either and the page buttons are looser so I can actually use one hand to turn the pages. The power button is also better so it takes no holding down to turn the Kindle on. It clicks with one push then the old one took some force. So far I am happy with it.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #533
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I've been driving myself crazy all week trying to decide whether to try the new K4 or get a Kindle Keyboard. I have a DXG that I love, but sometimes I want a smaller Kindle to take away from home with me, or the arthritis in my wrists is bothering me and the weight is uncomfortable - it would just be nice to have a choice, and given the current price points I can afford to add a 'baby' Kindle to the family.

I got my adult daughter a K3 in August, and it's beautifully clear with wonderful contrast, especially with the sans serif font (which my DXG doesn't have). I've read the review from Tom's Hardware and seen what they say about the K4 display, which isn't very flattering. My eyesight isn't great - I'll probably have cataract surgery in about a year - and I need all the contrast I can get at this point.

I don't like what I've read from some people about the screen on the K4 - and yet there are others who think it's even better than the K3. I'm a little concerned that they're phasing out the keyboard model, would never want a touch screen, and feel like I should make a choice now, while I still have the chance to choose between the Keyboard model and the K4.

What to do, what to do . . . Blossom's experiences with the K4 aren't making me lean in that direction at the moment, but it's so inviting with it's small form.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #534
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I've been driving myself crazy all week trying to decide whether to try the new K4 or get a Kindle Keyboard. I have a DXG that I love, but sometimes I want a smaller Kindle to take away from home with me, or the arthritis in my wrists is bothering me and the weight is uncomfortable - it would just be nice to have a choice, and given the current price points I can afford to add a 'baby' Kindle to the family.

I got my adult daughter a K3 in August, and it's beautifully clear with wonderful contrast, especially with the sans serif font (which my DXG doesn't have). I've read the review from Tom's Hardware and seen what they say about the K4 display, which isn't very flattering. My eyesight isn't great - I'll probably have cataract surgery in about a year - and I need all the contrast I can get at this point.

I don't like what I've read from some people about the screen on the K4 - and yet there are others who think it's even better than the K3. I'm a little concerned that they're phasing out the keyboard model, would never want a touch screen, and feel like I should make a choice now, while I still have the chance to choose between the Keyboard model and the K4.

What to do, what to do . . . Blossom's experiences with the K4 aren't making me lean in that direction at the moment, but it's so inviting with it's small form.
Get both! I say from the DX you'll love a K3 but go with the WiFi it's lighter then the 3G. The K4 definitely has a gray background whether it is light gray or gray. It's definitely a different shade. I feel they went with this to match the silver casing. My K3 background is a creme color and the text is as black as you can get. If you find you don't like the K3 return it and try a K4 or vice versa. Amazon is great on returns as I have found out.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #535
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

The screen while it is still gray, it's a light gray and does not have a gray cast to it and that makes a world of difference! It's still not as good as my K3 screen but the text looks black enough for me to be happy with it. I put the two K4s side by side and you can defiantly tell a difference.

No white lines after moving the menu selector down either and the page buttons are looser so I can actually use one hand to turn the pages. The power button is also better so it takes no holding down to turn the Kindle on. It clicks with one push then the old one took some force. So far I am happy with it.
Cool! I hope this one works out better than the first. That was pretty fast on the replacement too!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #536
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Cool! I hope this one works out better than the first. That was pretty fast on the replacement too!
Thanks. My first dealing with replacing a Kindle but it was so easy that I wont fret if I have to do it again.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #537
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:

The screen while it is still gray, it's a light gray and does not have a gray cast to it and that makes a world of difference! It's still not as good as my K3 screen but the text looks black enough for me to be happy with it. I put the two K4s side by side and you can defiantly tell a difference.

Can we see a picture from old Kindle 4 to new Kindle 4 ?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #538
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Blossom, gotta ask - Are you still going to get a Sony?
I'm so confused, they all sound so good! Screen is really really important to me though!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #539
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
due to the discussion of no browsing over 3G on the new kindles, I've ordered the Kindle Touch and will cancel my Kindle Touch 3G order. I see no reason to pay the extra $50 especially since I can create a WiFi hotspot with my cell phone.

I will probably cancel my Fire order too... after further reading about it, I don't think it is the device I want. I'm gonna keep the iPad2 on my wishlist at this point. Read about the Grid thing and the reviews don't look all that good, even though the $300 price looks nice. If only it had an IPS display.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #540
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I wonder if your replacement K4 still looks like a darker background compared to the K3 because the bezel is a lighter color? I know that when I bought my Sony 505, I compared the dark blue case with silver in-store, and the dark blue bezel definitely made it *appear* to my eyes that the background was whiter on the screen itself.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote