Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Sequence mismatch of collections on PRS600

I sent several series (each carefully numbered in sequence) to my PRS600. Some of these series appear neatly in the right order (low number to high) when opened in the PRS600 collections option, but others don't: appearing in random order. I'm curious what might be the cause of this behavior. Any thoughts?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Lots of thoughts, but none that I can write here.

Calibre orders series collections by series index. Non-series collections are ordered by title. If you are not seeing this (and be sure that the type of series is what you think), then most likely you are looking at a listing that isn't a collection or isn't displaying by "library order" (or whatever it is called on Sonys that I don't have).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm, I'm sure the ones I sent were series and correctly numbered as well. I also did check the calibre plugin settting for sony to represent the correct collections sorting. In my case "series, authors". And fors some series this works, but not for all series. And that's whats puzzeling me.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What setting do you have for metdata management under Preferences->Import/Export->Sendig Books to Device.

If set to automatic then I would expect series to be in the order of the Series index in Calibre. I am not sure if they would be on the other settings.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What setting do you have for metadata management under Preferences->Import/Export->Sending Books to Device.

If set to automatic then I would expect series to be in the order of the Series index in Calibre. I am not sure if they would be on the other settings.
Excellent point.

If not set to automatic, then the series will be ordered using the indices when the book was sent, not what they are today in the database.
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish

The setting is "Manual Management".

@Chaley: "If not set to automatic, then the series will be ordered using the indices when the book was sent, not what they are today in the database. "

I don't quite follow that sentence: the series I made where correct and not changed anymore, so on sending to the device from the database, they should be sorted as collections as stated by calibre in the preferences.

Quote:
"Manual management: Calibre updates the metadata and adds collections only when a book is sent. With this option, calibre will never remove a collection."
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that with that setting on manual, then books that are in a series that are all sent at the same time should be in order. However if they are added via a number of different sends then I do not think this is guaranteed.

I always run with that setting on automatic as I use Calibre to manage all my collections, and with that setting books are always in series order.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I added manual management over a year ago during a kerfuffle when 0.7.0 was released. The reason at the time was there was a vociferous set of people who used sony reader to mansge collections. I made it work for them, at the time.

The truth is that I dont really know all the interactions when using manual management between metadata changes, sending books, and sony db management. Furthermore, I don't really care, as I never use manual management, and would actually prefer that it went away.

Try automatic. If that does something strange, then post here and I will look at it.

Last edited by chaley; 07-10-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Well I figure, the behavior can also be caused by the internal works of the prs600: who knows? Adding the fact that the manual function is not really known to be correct and seems to be "just working", I agree that it then better can be omitted in a next/future release.

I try the "automatic" setting when sending new series and see what happens. When needed I post a new thread.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I try the "automatic" setting when sending new series and see what happens. When needed I post a new thread.
Just setting it to automatic then connecting your 600 should correct the order for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I now use this plugboard courtesy of Jackie_W in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141760

Format: device_db
Device: any device

Source Template2: {series}{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
Destination Field2: title_sort

And this tweak from Chaley
# Specify how SONY collections are sorted

sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['author_sort'], 'series_index')]

The template adds the series name to the author and is very easy to read.
It will quickly update all of your collections at once instead of having to send them all again (or it did for me and I only sent one book to test it).

I could be wrong but the change seems to be only in the database on the device.

Not entirely perfect but close enough.
When I look at an author_sort collection (the only collections I want) the books are listed in series_index order. If I have more than one series per author, it will put all of the first books in each series, then all the second etc.

Much easier than my old way of looking at the author, locating the series, and going to that series collection.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote